SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:40 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
soo if its heavier, its more stress on landings... but thats besides the point!

got tail done, control horns glued, landing gear done... one thing to make our life more comfy building (not that its hard..just a tad more comfy ) would be to include a liiiitttle key to keep holding lg axles while screwing them on landing gear...like 3dhs does)

but now im starting to think that my mxs kit was just... outdated? made on friday? somekind of v1? because every thing i was upset on mxs, here is nearly perfect!apart from a couple of slightly foggy decals, everything fits perfect and straight!
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:47 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
soo, guys, one last (i hope) question... i want to cut out hole for 85mg servo, but do i have to measure with 65mg shaft facing forward or towards rudder of the plane? manual shows forward but after mxs i better check!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:11 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
soo, guys, one last (i hope) question... i want to cut out hole for 85mg servo, but do i have to measure with 65mg shaft facing forward or towards rudder of the plane? manual shows forward but after mxs i better check!
Output shafts should be at rear on both elevator and rudder.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:14 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
thanks! got elevator and rudder finished today! and i really have to say that my mxs must have been wrong kit or some kind of copy... now im getting itch to order another 48" mxs kit just to make sure im setting it up right... i spent ages trying to set up tail on that one while on laser it took 2 series of walking dead and 2 cans of beer... i think im about to go with 60* on elevator and rudder 2mm less than touching elevator!

so far there might be only 3 things i can imagine could be better here... bigger wheels or at least somekind of bigger aftermarket wheel pants, beefier landing gear and double beveled aelerons.... i find it really hard to get even 30* on aelerons without leaving way too big hinge gap...
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:19 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
double beveled aelerons.... i find it really hard to get even 30* on aelerons without leaving way too big hinge gap...
Just get as much as you can, there is no need for double bevels or for big gaps (gap in mine = <1mm) the Laser rolls crazy fast, it doesn't need any more travel. Never had any trouble with the standard wheels either, I fly from football pitches, the grass is pretty long and I've never had any problems.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:13 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
I didnt have problems with wheels aswell, i just felt that moment when i switched to 2.5, landing gear was relieved....

Well... Crasy fast, depends on person... Only plane with roll rate too fast for me is 3d buster on 45* aelerons... But im just judging by mxs... On mxs 30* seemed waaay not enough, while on big edge, 30* is plenty for me...
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:55 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
seal you hinges
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:35 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,876 Posts
Flew mine again for the first time since September. What an awesome plane it is!
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:06 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,555 Posts
Yeah, I finally managed to remember to snag a replacement wing for the one I trashed at eWeek.
Definitely taking this one with me the next time I get to fly. I've been missing it
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:19 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
seal you hinges
seeing that i always lose a bit of throw while sealing, i wouldnt like to do that...
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:25 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
sooo, finally got all finished up! only 2 things left for later when i wont be too lasy! it is to shorten aeleron pushrods by 5mm, and move rudder pushrod 1 hole more in...

and i noticed that here cowl is longer (or motor box shorter?)than mxs! if on mxs i couldnt get a hacker to fit without LARGE spinner gap, here i will (if i decide to change)...

currently i have 800kv sunnysky mounted upfront! just tested that with xoar 13x4 its around 35-40A and around 600w (on nearly discharged battery) but vess 13x6 is around 55A and more than 700w and motor got warm after couple of sec of wot... so my guess is that xoar 13x5 would be the ticket since i dont want to spend for a new esc! and i figure if on mxs 750w was way more than enough, than 600w on laser should be acceptable, no? at least for maiden...
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:31 AM
fly low, fly fast, fly 3d
United Kingdom, England, Luton
Joined Dec 2011
564 Posts
you need to seal your hinges even if it looks like you loose throw you will gain it back in the air i sounds stupid but its true it will make your role rate propa fast
nathan100 is offline Find More Posts by nathan100
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:35 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,678 Posts
Not sure why you would lose travel by sealing hinges Use blenderm tape, it's stretchy so wont pull tight and restrict travel at all, having said that neither should any other form of gap sealing if applied correctly.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:01 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Not sure why you would lose travel by sealing hinges Use blenderm tape, it's stretchy so wont pull tight and restrict travel at all, having said that neither should any other form of gap sealing if applied correctly.
red being the key word... on 60" planes i allways try to seal at least tail, and it really helps roll rate and tail authority, but i have to try REAAAALLY hard even on such a big bevels to apply blenderm more or less bubble free.. cant even imagine trying to seal single beweled aelerons on EF 48"...
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:03 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan100 View Post
you need to seal your hinges even if it looks like you loose throw you will gain it back in the air i sounds stupid but its true it will make your role rate propa fast
it doesnt sound stupid, i know that, and if im not happy i will seal tail... but on aelerons im sure i will make bigger mess than gain anything...