HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:57 PM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
There's a good go! See, I knew we could do it.OK now I got to argue.

See, you consider having an addiction to EF planes as a bad thing. Yeah, I know it causes strife with the boss lady, and it puts a dent in your wallet. Yes I know that just as soon as you scratch the itch by buying the latest model, the itch tends to come back, deeper and stronger, and more persistent, driving you on and on to scratch again with the next model. I understand that it is a never ending cycle of itching and scratching, constantly seeking the next "High".

BUT THERE IS A BRIGHT SIDE! Because EF produces such incredibly powerful, beautiful, and irresistible itches, we find it necessary to work harder and longer to make more money to buy the cure for their nasty itches. By working such long, hard hours we manage to cause our companies to zoom into the black by year's end. Sooooo there the management is, sitting on a pile of profits that has kicked them into a higher tax bracket. Therefore they have to give some of their money away so as to lower their tax burden.

And just where, prithee will they give that money? Well they will likely give to Green Peace or some other do good tree hugging group that will in turn use that money to patch the ozone layer, and thereby save the world!

Now you can go back to the boss lady and explain that giving into the awe full temptation to scratch that itch again is simply your duty, as a child of Mother Earth, to do your part in saving the world!

Your reasoning makes perfect sense to me! lol.... Now if only the Boss Lady could see it that way.
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:38 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,286 Posts
Since I explained to my wife how much cheaper flying is than having a mistress, she let's me buy pretty much anything I want.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:54 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,762 Posts
I like RC as it's not too expensive to partake in and not too much of a drain on the house I mean my models for the most part slot into the garage nicely. Whereas if this were a passion for real vehicles, I'd be in trouble, haha! With regard to the money side, something like knitting would be cheaper but more boring and something like skateboarding would be way too much physical exercise, haha! If it were skiing or snowboarding, I could only do it when on holiday. Whereas with RC, I can do it all year round, practice it at home on my sim to hone my skills quickly (can't with most other things like skydiving, that requires you to actually be there), it gets interest from others, and realistically in a year for most people you're not going to sink much more than 6K ($10K) into it including everything like batteries, fuel costs to the field, tools, etc And most importantly... it's FUN! So RC is perfect for me!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:16 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,068 Posts
+ 1
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:56 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
sooo...finally after 4 days fighting with dpd postal services, i went to their office and (after waiting there for nearly 40min for them to find my package) laser went home! i can say that altough i didnt like the way it looked on the pictures in the beginning, after unpacking the box, im happy! i had quite a bit bad things to say about my mxs, but so far after gluing aeleron and elevator hinges (it was 10pm when i got home), i can not say a single bad thing about this kit... what surprised me is landing gear! on mxs it felt like it is going to snap from me just looking at it, but here it feels sturdier! not as strong as i would have liked, but stronger than i expected!

well, maybe just aeleron gap at the wing root is a tad too small for my liking, but its ok, and i allways like bigger wheels!
yeah, i know, stock wheels work, but when i switched on my msx to dubro 2.5", i could feel that landing gear starts taking less stress on rollouts and landings.. (flying from grass field)
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:42 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,706 Posts
christmas day snow ops.

Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:57 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
christmas day snow ops.

nice! i MISS snow... this year in london there was 30min snow, 1 week near 0C during the night and the rest of time +10 with rain....

he... where i fly, the grass is the same lenght, just much thicker sometimes...
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:01 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,135 Posts
Rimaarts,

The l/g on the laser is identical to the MXS, they are interchangeable. However Extreme flight have recently slightly beefed up the carbon fibre legs at the bend at the bottom and where the axle goes through. They will still break if you bang them in the right way but they now tend to break above the bend rather than right on it.

The fix for the older gear was to bind the area around the bend with carbon or kevlar thread. after doing this I never had a leg break in that location.

Bottom line though is any carbon fibre leg will break if you whack it hard enough, better the leg breaks than it rip out the mounting plate.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Dec 29, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:06 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Rimarts,

The l/g on the laser is identical to the MXS, they are interchangeable. However Extreme flight have recently slightly beefed up the carbon fibre legs at the bend at the bottom and where the axle goes through. They will still break if you bang them in the right way but they now tend to break above the bend rather than right on it.

The fix for the older gear was to bind the area around the bend with carbon or kevlar thread. after doing this I never had a leg break in that location.

Bottom line though is any carbon fibre leg will break if you whack it hard enough, better the leg breaks than it rip out the mounting plate.
well, kick me if you want, but on any of 3dhs planes i have owned, gear survives the plane.... (with one exception but that clearly was my fault. (pancake from 10' and even than gear did not break off completely but only had a 90% crack.. ) even on my 51" where all the front of the plane was literally sawdust, gear did not have a scratch on it....

and yeah, i fixed mxs gear, just not by kevlar thread but wrapping it in fibreglass and epoxy... looks ugly, but durable lol...extra gear i somehow managed to delaminate... maybe it was my fault, i landed 2 times with loose wheel axle, but still... well, i need to put both gears side by side, but i remember moment when i unpacked mxs gear, i was thinking its soooo fragile, but on laser gear looked less flexible and beefier... well, i need to put them side by side...
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:20 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
well, kick me if you want, but on any of 3dhs planes i have owned, gear survives the plane....
I've only got on 3DHS plane, a 51" Slick. I bust the gear on that after half a dozen flights on what was a heavy landing but nothing worse, not a mark on the rest of the plane. It de-laminated at the bend at the top, I repaired it by binding with carbon and it seems to be holding up ok..

i think with carbon gear it depends on how you hit it. The older EF l/g was a bit fragile for sure, I'm not arguing on that point.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:42 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,020 Posts
When I first got my 48" MXS I killed the lg in less than a dozen flights with a wonky landing. So I took the lg from my 48" 3DHS Velox which was strong enough to rip the lg mount out in a hard crash, and redrilled the holes to use it in the MXS. Well on the MXS it also broke in a hard deadstick landing without hurting the lg mount on the plane. Now granted this was a much harder destructive landing than the one that killed the original lg that came with the MXS, but the point I'm trying to make is that a stronger gear like the one from the Velox will last longer and survive quite a while yet will give before the lg plate will break, thereby saving major repairs on the airframe yet still being more durable. Now I'm using an aluminum lg I made at work using some stock from our airframe maintenance shop. This gear will bend before breaking the lg plate most of the time and is easy to just straighten out and fly.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:09 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,068 Posts
I have been flying my 64" MXS constantly lately. I am one that flys beyond his skill level often (it's just my nature). I have recently banged my MXS in 3 or four times from getting into trouble while too low. Every time it has been the same thing almost exactly. I hit the ground HARD where the spinner and the landing gear touch simultaneously. Each time I have expected to find broken LG, completely trashed LG Plate, and a busted motor box. Each time I have been SHOCKED to find almost no damage at all!!!!! I haev had to fix a couple cracks in the fuse. And I have had to beef up the brace above the LG plate because it gave way a bit.

Of course I understand that this is a bigger plane, but the gear itself seems to be bullet proof!
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:22 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
When I first got my 48" MXS I killed the lg in less than a dozen flights with a wonky landing. So I took the lg from my 48" 3DHS Velox which was strong enough to rip the lg mount out in a hard crash, and redrilled the holes to use it in the MXS. Well on the MXS it also broke in a hard deadstick landing without hurting the lg mount on the plane. Now granted this was a much harder destructive landing than the one that killed the original lg that came with the MXS, but the point I'm trying to make is that a stronger gear like the one from the Velox will last longer and survive quite a while yet will give before the lg plate will break, thereby saving major repairs on the airframe yet still being more durable. Now I'm using an aluminum lg I made at work using some stock from our airframe maintenance shop. This gear will bend before breaking the lg plate most of the time and is easy to just straighten out and fly.
now thats strange... one thing i could say is to ask if mxs turned out heavier than velox....
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:23 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
I have been flying my 64" MXS constantly lately. I am one that flys beyond his skill level often (it's just my nature). I have recently banged my MXS in 3 or four times from getting into trouble while too low. Every time it has been the same thing almost exactly. I hit the ground HARD where the spinner and the landing gear touch simultaneously. Each time I have expected to find broken LG, completely trashed LG Plate, and a busted motor box. Each time I have been SHOCKED to find almost no damage at all!!!!! I haev had to fix a couple cracks in the fuse. And I have had to beef up the brace above the LG plate because it gave way a bit.

Of course I understand that this is a bigger plane, but the gear itself seems to be bullet proof!
he... i have done the same on my 57" like 3 or 4 times in a year, and also not a scratch... edge i hope will be just as strong!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:03 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
now thats strange... one thing i could say is to ask if mxs turned out heavier than velox....
Oh yeah, the MXS is a little heavier plane. The Velox was using 3s 2600 mah batts and the MXS is using 4s 2500 mah batts. Plus the MXS is a substantialy larger plane even though they are the same wingspan. When you put them side by side you would think the MXS is the same size as the 3DHS 55" Edge and looks way bigger than the Velox. It's been quite a while since I've weighed either plane so I couldn't tell you the exact difference in size.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy