HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:35 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
All the servos mentioned will work, for me I just prefer the 85mg on elevator. I want to try the savox on my next 48" on ailerons and rudder though. By then maybe there will be a HV alternative... My 48" surfaces seem slow compared to my HV 60" and 71" planes.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:43 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
Doc Austin's Avatar
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Google 85MG stripped gears and you will find several. Apparently there is one plastic gear in there and sometimes it strips, at least according to the reports online:


I dont think any servo is 100% bullet proof.
Yeah, that plastic gear is meant to ve sacrificial, so that it dies and the other gears don't get damaged. Of course, if it's on the elevator it trashes the entire plane, but at least the metal gears are saved.

The bad part is that you still have to buy an entire set of gears because the plastic one is not available seperately.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:52 PM
Registered User
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Yeah, that plastic gear is meant to ve sacrificial, so that it dies and the other gears don't get damaged. Of course, if it's on the elevator it trashes the entire plane, but at least the metal gears are saved.

The bad part is that you still have to buy an entire set of gears because the plastic one is not available seperately.
Yeah, this is so full of crap. These servo companies design them with the plastic gear, they should sell sets of 6 or so of just the plastic gear. But no they rip us off by making us buy the whole set when it's not necessary. This has always irked me to no end. This is probably why Hitec doesn't charge for fixing stripped gears when you send them in for warranty, all they are replacing is the cheap little plastic gear and not the full expensive metal gears. Not that there is anything wrong with this, it's still a heck of a decent service to provide, but why not make these gears available to everyone. Not just Hitec in particular, but all the servo companies. Rant over. Continue with regular programming.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:22 PM
It's gone...
_OZ_'s Avatar
Joined Aug 2004
5,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Yeah, this is so full of crap. These servo companies design them with the plastic gear, they should sell sets of 6 or so of just the plastic gear. But no they rip us off by making us buy the whole set when it's not necessary. This has always irked me to no end. This is probably why Hitec doesn't charge for fixing stripped gears when you send them in for warranty, all they are replacing is the cheap little plastic gear and not the full expensive metal gears. Not that there is anything wrong with this, it's still a heck of a decent service to provide, but why not make these gears available to everyone. Not just Hitec in particular, but all the servo companies. Rant over. Continue with regular programming.
This is why I switched to Hyperion. They sell primary gears in bags of 8.
Hyperions aren't bullet proof but they are very good and easy to fix if you strip a gear.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:44 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,996 Posts
As a point of interest, unlike the 85MG the savox 0255 and 0257 dont have a 'weak link' plastic gear, they are all metal, titanium for the mostpart:


So who things the 85MG geras are more robust now
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:28 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
I'd put the 85 over a micro in the elevator any day... It has proven itself to me. To me it's a matter of time for a servo failure and I would do anything I could for it not to be a elevator servo.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:33 PM
Registered User
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OZ_ View Post
This is why I switched to Hyperion. They sell primary gears in bags of 8.
Hyperions aren't bullet proof but they are very good and easy to fix if you strip a gear.
Hmmm, I didn't know this. Who handles the Hyperion servo's? I have heard they are a pretty good servo, just never tried them.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:43 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
Doc Austin's Avatar
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,219 Posts
Oh, goodie. More servo wars.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:45 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
LOL... One thing there is no debate about are these EF planes. Just how to power and steer them.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:47 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
As a point of interest, unlike the 85MG the savox 0255 and 0257 dont have a 'weak link' plastic gear, they are all metal, titanium for the mostpart:


So who things the 85MG geras are more robust now
I do and know for a fact the 85s are more robust. I have stripped one 85 in thousands of flights but stripped 6 0255 in less than 100.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:01 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I do and know for a fact the 85s are more robust. I have stripped one 85 in thousands of flights but stripped 6 0255 in less than 100.
ok, cant really argue with that But for me they have been fine so far.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
They Call him Dead!
YellowJacketsRC's Avatar
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
LOL... One thing there is no debate about are these EF planes. Just how to power and steer them.
Oh come on. I'm sure we can argue about something! I mean its winter time and we got nothing better to do. Come on, say something great about EF planes and I will try to argue. Or if you prefer, say something bad, and I'll argue that? I am sure that if we put our great minds to it we can figure a way to get this done!!!
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:20 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Oh come on. I'm sure we can argue about something! I mean its winter time and we got nothing better to do. Come on, say something great about EF planes and I will try to argue. Or if you prefer, say something bad, and I'll argue that? I am sure that if we put our great minds to it we can figure a way to get this done!!!
I'm sure we could... But I would have a hard time finding bad about EF.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:25 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
aerosheldon's Avatar
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,901 Posts
Here is the bad.

First plane in 7 years was an EF Edge 48" that I got less than 2 years ago.

Now I have:

48" Laser
88" Edge with DA60
104" Extra (DA120 will go in it from another plane I have)

It is a slippery slope...

Of course I am kidding about it being bad and loving every minute of it.
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:42 PM
They Call him Dead!
YellowJacketsRC's Avatar
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
7,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
Here is the bad.

First plane in 7 years was an EF Edge 48" that I got less than 2 years ago.

Now I have:

48" Laser
88" Edge with DA60
104" Extra (DA120 will go in it from another plane I have)

It is a slippery slope...

Of course I am kidding about it being bad and loving every minute of it.

There's a good go! See, I knew we could do it.OK now I got to argue.

See, you consider having an addiction to EF planes as a bad thing. Yeah, I know it causes strife with the boss lady, and it puts a dent in your wallet. Yes I know that just as soon as you scratch the itch by buying the latest model, the itch tends to come back, deeper and stronger, and more persistent, driving you on and on to scratch again with the next model. I understand that it is a never ending cycle of itching and scratching, constantly seeking the next "High".

BUT THERE IS A BRIGHT SIDE! Because EF produces such incredibly powerful, beautiful, and irresistible itches, we find it necessary to work harder and longer to make more money to buy the cure for their nasty itches. By working such long, hard hours we manage to cause our companies to zoom into the black by year's end. Sooooo there the management is, sitting on a pile of profits that has kicked them into a higher tax bracket. Therefore they have to give some of their money away so as to lower their tax burden.

And just where, prithee will they give that money? Well they will likely give to Green Peace or some other do good tree hugging group that will in turn use that money to patch the ozone layer, and thereby save the world!

Now you can go back to the boss lady and explain that giving into the awe full temptation to scratch that itch again is simply your duty, as a child of Mother Earth, to do your part in saving the world!
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted Extreme flight 48 inch Extra EXP parts knifeedge63 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Jun 24, 2014 12:10 AM
Discussion 60 inch edge 540 vs 48 inch extreme flight extra 300 & edge 540 vs 3dhs slick 51 & 59 CRFan1 3D Flying 40 Mar 04, 2012 03:45 PM
Alert For sale Extreme flight 48 inch edge exp rtf cheap rudyhal Atlanta Area RC 7 May 28, 2011 01:32 PM
Sold Extreme Flight Extra EXP 48 inch w/ Airboss45 ESC- Torque2814/820 combo (Austin, TX) HKC3 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 17 Feb 05, 2011 11:49 PM