HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:57 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
I am going to install them tomorrow but I plan on using the stock arm on the rudder and the phenolic added to the stock arm for the elevator.

Maybe someone who has used on the Laser can chime in....
For the rudder I used the stock long single arm that comes with the servo. On my first Laser I used an HS5065 (diital equivilent of the HS65MG) with the Extreme Flight G10 extension, and was getting about 76 degrees of throw or so.

Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Jul 2008
24 Posts
Oh cool this one is the new 45 just got it in last week that's awsome saves some time there and probably going to try those futaba's will be plenty, stock horn ailerons and fiberglass one on elevator and what ever to get the most out of the rudder. Have u used the futaba's yet? Any blow back?
3Dflyer54 is offline Find More Posts by 3Dflyer54
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:34 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
soo! day after tomorrow my laser arrives! only thing i know i wont like in build is cutting elevator servo slot, but still, i will run 0255 on rudder, 5085mg on elevator and 0257 on wings....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:45 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,485 Posts
Personally I just put a 0255 on the elevator. They have more torque than the HS-5085MG and are a bit faster, plus they are a few grams lighter and they fit the standard hole.
I honestly cant see any reason to prefer the 5085MG but each to his own.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:52 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,588 Posts
IMO they are a more robust servo with bigger gears that will take a beating. Especially if your going to be flying low with chance of tail contact. Got a lot of time with both size servos running on large control surfaces and for me the bigger servo is the way to go in the elevator. If you loose your elevator it is tough to land.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:02 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,485 Posts
Yeah, I hear it said that the 85MG is more robust but other than it being 5 grams heavier I've not seen any evidence to back it up. I've never seen even a photo of one gear set next to the other to show this claimed robustness?
I totally accept that the 85MG is a tough servo but I've never had a Savox 255x series servo fail me, so I don't have any reason to change. We all make our own decisions on these things.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:31 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Yeah, I hear it said that the 85MG is more robust but other than it being 5 grams heavier I've not seen any evidence to back it up. I've never seen even a photo of one gear set next to the other to show this claimed robustness?
I totally accept that the 85MG is a tough servo but I've never had a Savox 255x series servo fail me, so I don't have any reason to change. We all make our own decisions on these things.
The bolded part is the key. Everybody gets to choose their own poison.

I think every servo out there has a failure story, though, if you look hard enough.
My very first 255 let me down about 12 flights in, for instance Never any contact. nothing but agressive flying.
Someone else may have had similar experience with 'my' favorites, I'm sure.
C_Watkins is online now Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:42 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
anyone have a 85 or 5085mg failure story?
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,588 Posts
Never heard of any that I could remember... Heard of many 65mg, and a few of the Savox failing and killing a planes. My self... I had a few of the smaller servos fail after strikes and excessive use, but my 85mg after a number of strikes and in the range of 600 flights is going strong as new. To each his own, I'm not advocating a brand... I just think the size is what makes it more robust. Look at the cases and tell me which you think has bigger gears.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:53 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
when byper was a prototype people was wondering why 42" plane needs 5085mg servos, and theKM was saying that 0255 wore out too fast...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:24 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
I've had trouble with Savox. On my Typhoon glider, the elevator servo suddenly froze up. Not sure why, though. Luckily I got it down in one piece just about I also had another one just stop. Makes me reluctant to use them especially on 3D where there's more stress. Specs for the price of them look good though Maybe I'll try them on a less important surface like rudder or aileron, haha!
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:04 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
anyone have a 85 or 5085mg failure story?
Google 85MG stripped gears and you will find several. Apparently there is one plastic gear in there and sometimes it strips, at least according to the reports online:

I dont think any servo is 100% bullet proof.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,588 Posts
Quote:
Google 85MG stripped gears and you will find several. Apparently there is one plastic gear in there and sometimes it strips, at least according to the reports online:

I dont think any servo is 100% bullet proof.
I don't think anyone said it was 100% bulletproof... But I certainly put it through its paces.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:23 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
I beat the hell out of my 85mg's on my 51"... They take a beating for sure!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:35 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,707 Posts
I stripped an 85MG once, but I certainly earned it. I've also blown out a lot HS65MG rudder servos on tail mashes.

The important thing is that I have not had one fail in the air.....except perhaps maybe once. After a tough tail tough the rudder servo blew out in a tumble. The rudder jammed full over and it spun crazilly into the high grass at full speed. Both wheel pants shot straight up into the air, and we were fully expecting to need a garbage bag to collect everything. Oddly enough, outside of the wheel pants coming off (and not even getting scraped up), there was zero damage. I replaced the servo and kept flying!
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin