to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:59 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
I have a DA-120 for one! Here a few pics I took of the Laser at the Udvar-Hazy museum.
Wow. Leo's Laser and Art's Chipmunk in the same picture.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:32 PM
United States, NC, Smithfield
Joined Jul 2011
146 Posts
be sure to let us know when you want to do this, im usually pretty good with designing color schemes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
Maybe we'll do another color scheme contest for a second scheme for the um...............

60 inch Laser!
Nicky2times is offline Find More Posts by Nicky2times
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:11 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,341 Posts
Another vote for a 50cc
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:21 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Maybe we'll do another color scheme contest for a second scheme for the um.............

60 inch Laser!
Hmmm not sure drifting away from colours of the original is good idea to be honest...

If you do..perhaps we should invite the warbird frat to come and chastise for not being scale
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:28 AM
USA, NH, Bedford
Joined Oct 2009
424 Posts
[QUOTE=Doc Austin;20909625]Wow. Leo's Laser and Art's Chipmunk in the same picture.[/QUOTE
There are so many cool planes there, it is hard to take a bad picture. They have a Suk and a Nemisis too. Here is another pic of Leo's laser and Art's Chipmunk, the Suk and Nemisis. For the model Laser, perhaps a more contrasting bottom scheme might be necessary.

ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:50 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
I noticed that the laser has the scoop near the exit hole like the mxs. The edge and extra don't have this.

Was this done to reduce drag or increase fuse strength?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:05 AM
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
I have a DA-120 for one! Here a few pics I took of the Laser at the Udvar-Hazy museum.

Sweet! Like a couple others in the thread, one of my first aerobatic planes was a Bud Light EZ Laser. Had a Supertigre .61 on it; was kind of a lead sled, but it grooved nice! I want a 60" BL scheme, and a 50cc would be nice too!
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:06 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
That also might be a duplicate of Art's chipmunk. I believe Art was killed in the Chipmunk.

I saw Art's show right after I started flying RC, back in 77 or so. I loved his style of the maneuvers centered, with a maneuver on each end to rurn the plane around and bring it back to center. I sort of modelled my own style after that, though Art certainly did it better.

Scholl definately made a big impression on me. I wanted a chipmunk too, but the only "good" one was a Sig, and it was just plain awful. All the scale aerobatic planes sucked back them. They were all bricks and they all flew horrible. When I came back to flying in 2004 I couldn't understand why the whole industry seemed to be scale aerobatic planes, but things had changed so much it really was a culture shock of the first magnituide.

Really, the final straw was not being able to get a good Laser. that was the only plane I really wanted and everythig thast weas available was a pig. I was tired of ugly stiocks and burned out on pattern practise and that was just the end for me.

I would have probably never flown RC again except I accidentially googled up "vanguish," while looking for something else, and that certainly caught my eye.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:27 AM
Even that isn't fast enough
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Sep 2004
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
That also might be a duplicate of Art's chipmunk. I believe Art was killed in the Chipmunk.

Art did have a couple Chipmunks I believe but he was killed in a Pitts.
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:35 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by why_fly_high View Post
Art did have a couple Chipmunks I believe but he was killed in a Pitts.
During the filming of top gun.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:40 AM
Even that isn't fast enough
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Sep 2004
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
correct!
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:16 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Can anyone tell me the significance of the sukhoi in the museum?
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:49 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
This is awful. Didn't know that's how he went. From Wiki:

"Arthur Everett Scholl (24 December 1931 16 September 1985) was an American aerobatic pilot, aerial cameraman, flight instructor and educator based in Southern California. He died during filming of Top Gun when his Pitts S-2 camera plane never recovered from a flat spin and plunged into the Pacific Ocean. Scholl's last words were "I have a problem I have a real problem." The cause of the crash was a flat spin, which in normal situations, should not have been a problem for the experienced pilot. However, when he was filming the spin, the extra weight of the cameras caused the centrifugal force to hold him in the spin until he spiraled to his death. The airplane and body were never recovered."
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:59 AM
Chester NJ
Joined Nov 2005
362 Posts
Quote:
Obviuosly we will do a 60 inch Laser. In fact we are already reviewing drawings. What other sizes of the Laser would you guys like to see?
70", 78", 50cc, 100cc?
Yes! Maybe an electric/ gas version of the 70,78? Thanks for making this one Chris! One of my favorites for a long time!
Did you help design the Lanier lasers? I had the 72" and the giant scale version.
Frank.
xtraflyr is offline Find More Posts by xtraflyr