SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:55 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
now you just need a CF prop to complete the look.

I'm thinking about springing for one of these for my Laser.

they make a 12x6 also, for you torque heads.
How long have you had the laser for?What
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:28 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaa3d View Post
Is that a e-flite aluminum spinner I see?
Electrifly.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:05 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
now you just need a CF prop to complete the look.

I'm thinking about springing for one of these for my Laser.

they make a 12x6 also, for you torque heads.
A friend tried a few of those on his MXS and they were disappointing. The Aeronaut props from Esprit seem to be good but so far only Chris Jewett has tested the 15x8. I have a 12x6 and a 13x6 for the smaller planes on the way for some more testing.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:15 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,070 Posts
My Laser is scheduled to get here Monday, but I am hopeful for today anyway. My last 60" MXS got here a full day ahead of what UPS tracking was saying, so I've got my fingers crossed. Another two days won't make that big of a diffeence except I just want the damm thing.

My last Laser took a real beating. Initially I was conserned with the lack of composites, but that certainly turned out to be unfounded. The new construction is every bit as robust as before, and maybe even stronger, especially the motorbox.

One day I wasn't happy with how the rudder servo was operating so I changed it out right there at the field. It was a Sunday, so people were all over the place and there was a bunch of little kids running around yelling and asking how fast does it go, how high does it go, etc. Trying to be a decent guy I politely answered them and tried not to get aggrivated, because having had none, I really have no skills with children.

Suitably distracted, however, I forgot to put the servo mounting screws back in.

At that particular time I was working on a variation of the blender that ends with the plane dropping into a KE spin. The Laser and especially the Edge do this move with great violence, so with a big crowd on hand it was a good time to pull it out. Unfortunately the force blew the rudder servo completely out of it's mounting hole, whereupon it jammed the rudder into full left deflection. From there it would not come out of the KE spin and I suppose I was lucky to be so low because all I had time to do was level the wings and watch it hit on one of the gear legs.

The gear, obviously, exploded, and it took out the other side too. That, l and it toasted an SFG and the prop. Surprisingly, that was all the damage I could find. I had a spare gear in the car, so I replaced that, the prop, fixed the SFG with some CA and a hypo, kept flying, and even made a video. All this, of course, after I put the servo back in and remembered to secure it with mounting screws.

Between that and landing it upside down a few times, cartwheeling it, and generally smacking the crap out of it, the old girl was starting to look a bit wrung out, so I got another one. I like to build planes in October anyway, when it's nice outside in the garage. It's suppposed to cool off next week, so if the plane gets here Monday that would be ok too.

For now though, I am really unhappy not to have a Laser ready to go. This is one of those planes that you really need to have a backup for, and I'll do that when finances allow.

EDIT: Looks like my Laser left Roswell, GA at 9:56 this morning, so I doubt I will get it today.Thaat's ok. It's going to be nice flying weather this weekend and the 60" MXS needs some love.
Last edited by Doc Austin; Oct 05, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:15 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,897 Posts
My Laser just says "shipped" on the website... how did you get a tracking number?
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:17 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
A friend tried a few of those on his MXS and they were disappointing. The Aeronaut props from Esprit seem to be good but so far only Chris Jewett has tested the 15x8. I have a 12x6 and a 13x6 for the smaller planes on the way for some more testing.
cool. thanks for saving me $26.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:18 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
How long have you had the laser for?What
it's been flying since beginning of september.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:33 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
My Laser just says "shipped" on the website... how did you get a tracking number?
Just lucky, I suppose.

Sometimes I get a tracking number and sometimes I don't. I'm not sure how it works.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:54 AM
Extreme Flight Tech Support
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2005
821 Posts
UPS is supposed to automatically send out the email.....

Aero... I'll look into it for you.. I see the order..
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:56 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,897 Posts
Thanks dude! It's no worry though, I didn't want to bother you guys on a Friday...
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:04 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,070 Posts
Quote:
Thanks dude! It's no worry though, I didn't want to bother you guys on a Friday...
They are pretty grumpy on Mondays so today was better!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:26 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
I just placed an order for an Edge. Got Order confirmation last night, then UPS shipping notification and just now an order update.
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:37 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
They are pretty grumpy on Mondays so today was better!
There just grumpy when you bug them.. They love me.
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:51 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,456 Posts
I don't have a Laser, but I just came across this video. Hopefully it's not already been posted here:

Extreme Flight Laser 48" - Pilot X (5 min 35 sec)
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:54 PM
aka ECAA3D
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Apr 2012
1,154 Posts
PilotX is back!!!
m0dest is offline Find More Posts by m0dest