HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:41 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
You're right Steve! I should go program low rates into my radio right now!!!

What you see in my picture of the elevator is the 3rd rate that I use, called "insane tumble rate". Its described in the manual on page 25...

Gary.. i do appreciate that you will have lower throws programmed.. but maybe not low enough?

I've got the same plane and my one is not at all twitchy.. so there must be a difference somewhere. Sounds like my CG might be a shade further back than yours. So only other thing I can think of is that you have more throw or less exponential than me? That was the point I was trying to make (not very well it seems)

Or maybe i just have more finesse on the sticks
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:53 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Gary.. i do appreciate that you will have lower throws programmed.. but maybe not low enough?

I've got the same plane and my one is not at all twitchy.. so there must be a difference somewhere. Sounds like my CG might be a shade further back than yours. So only other thing I can think of is that you have more throw or less exponential than me? That was the point I was trying to make (not very well it seems)

Or maybe i just have more finesse on the sticks
You're probably a better pilot! I'm flying with the same low rate throw and 50% expo that I had on the Edge and the MXS, so it "should" work.
Right now, my battery is flush with the wing tube, but I think there is some room to slide it under a little bit, I'll have to look into that on the next flight.

Here is my brief review:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22099637
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:53 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,683 Posts
Another possible contributor.. If you use long arms on your servos the centring and precision of the control surface movement reduces, and dialing back the throws with a rate switch doesn't get it back. Possibly in the pursuit of extreme throw you have lost some precision?

Just a thought....
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:56 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,683 Posts
Gary,

FWIW i use 75% expo on my normal 3D rate and 80% on the 'insane elevator' rate. That's most likely why it feels different.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Another possible contributor.. If you use long arms on your servos the centring and precision of the control surface movement reduces, and dialing back the throws with a rate switch doesn't get it back. Possibly in the pursuit of extreme throw you have lost some precision?

Just a thought....
Possibly... however I'm using the digital 5085mg, and my Rx is the AR8000 so I'm using it on the 11ms refresh rate. Should be really precise and quick?

Quote:
Gary,

FWIW i use 75% expo on my normal 3D rate and 80% on the 'insane elevator' rate. That's most likely why it feels different.
I fly all my EF birds like this:
Low Rate- 25-30% dual rate, 50% expo
High Rate- 65% dual rate, 75% expo
Insane rate - 100% dual rate, 75 or 90% expo
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:06 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,683 Posts
Ahhh.. we are using virtually the same set up then; so rule that one out. Maybe you will just get used to the sensitivity once you have a few more flights on the Laser?

And yeah.. with the servos set to 11ms precision shouldn't be an issue though any gear slop will still be amplified by a long servo arm.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:12 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,683 Posts
Any by the way.. I'm really jealous of you guys getting out and flying. The weather over this side of the pond has just gone haywire in the last 6 weeks. It's either been hammering down with rain or foggy or most often both. Yesterday was the first day in ages where I actually saw the sun but it was too windy to fly. Today normal service resumed and it's been pi$$ing down rain all day without a single break

it's a total nightmare
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:11 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Windy and hot here, been doing projects and repairs for the last two weeks
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Finished her up today and put 12 packs through it. Great plane! I enjoy it much more than the 48 Edge. Excellent knife edge, super easy to hover/harrier. And did my first harrier landing today!
Randal McSandal is offline Find More Posts by Randal McSandal
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
First mods complete: cooling baffles!

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341724340.791111.jpg
Views: 100
Size: 163.1 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341724356.619967.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 113.8 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341724367.773735.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 133.5 KB
Description:
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:06 PM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
Possibly... however I'm using the digital 5085mg, and my Rx is the AR8000 so I'm using it on the 11ms refresh rate. Should be really precise and quick?

I fly all my EF birds like this:
Low Rate- 25-30% dual rate, 50% expo
High Rate- 65% dual rate, 75% expo
Insane rate - 100% dual rate, 75 or 90% expo
Have you got all your end points etc.. out to max i.e. 140% for Futaba. By having them at anything less than what is fully available within the radio you actually loose resolution.

As I understand it from how the Pattern guys do it.
Max out all the settings within the radio, then match servo arm length to control horn length (hole to hinge line distance). If you find this doesn't get you the throw required you can start increasing servo arm length, if it's too much you can shorten it. Of course if you have programmable servo's where you can adjust the degrees of throw your much better to adjust this rather than the servo arm as this has no effect on resolution like when you adjust the Tx settings and the idea is to keep servo arm and control horn length close.

You may know all this, but probably useful for others if they don't. I recently did all this on my PA Bandit and noticed much less twitchiness around centre afterwards.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Last edited by luke352; Jul 08, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke352 View Post
Have you got all your end points etc.. out to max i.e. 140% for Futaba. By having them at anything less than what is fully available within the radio you actually loose resolution.

As I understand it from how the Pattern guys do it.
Max out all the settings within the radio, then match servo arm length to control horn length (hole to hinge line distance). If you find this doesn't get you the throw required you can start increasing servo arm length, if it's too much you can shorten it. Of course if you have programmable servo's where you can adjust the degrees of throw your much better to adjust this rather than the servo arm as this has no effect on resolution like when you adjust the Tx settings and the idea is to keep servo arm and control horn length close.

You may know all this, but probably useful for others if they don't. I recently did all this on my PA Bandit and noticed much less twitchiness around centre afterwards.
Thanks for the suggestion, and yes, I have the EPA set to 145% for all my servos on my dx8.
I figured out the issue. I started off with the same 2% nose down at idle mix that I was using on the 48" Edge... and what it did to the laser was make it have an excessive nose down at low power issues. Once I adjusted the mix, she was easier to control.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Oct 2010
62 Posts
Nose heavy laser

My laser is nose heavy. 2200 4 cell 293 gr. Hacker A30-14L 143 gr. Hacker ESC 45 gr. MKS DS 6100 servos 9.5 gr. Cg at the middle of the wing tube. Battery was pretty far foward. Flew nose heavy. Ended up moving battery all the way back to the wing tube and still flies nose heavy. Just does not make sence to me. Has anyone had to add weight to the tail ?? Thanks
Batfire2000 is offline Find More Posts by Batfire2000
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:56 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
What does it do in a dive?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Maybe you should look for a lighter battery? Zippy compacts are MUCH lighter than yours