HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:32 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,251 Posts
I've done that, just make sure you remove it before you fly again, nothing like a jammed elevator due to a stinking weed
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:40 PM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Laser 25 flights report with three new videos.........

Dude... I started with the last video... Niice! That thing is Siick!

--Tom K.

Edit: All three are AWESOME!
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Tom K.; Jun 16, 2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:49 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,251 Posts
Quote:
Laser 25 flights report with three new videos.........

great flight Doc, lots of high energy moves back to back to back, I don't know how you do it, but it looks cool
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:52 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,864 Posts
Laser in the wind (6 min 21 sec)

Didn't get any harrier's in this one but the laser really handles the wind as well as the extra.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:32 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,340 Posts
Quote:
This is the ast Laser video we shot. The winds were absolutely ridiculous, but we shot anyway. Everyone else had packed up and gone home, but I am so confident with this plane that I flew it right on the deck in spite of conditions being 20-25mph winds.

[CENTER]
Extreme Flight Laser EXP__Wind Shear Huckin RAW (5 min 38 sec)

Looking good Doc! Its by far the best, 48" EXP in the wind! I'm digging mine..

Off to the field, to thrash mine thoroughly..
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:04 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,145 Posts
Just finished putting together my maser and took it out and put half a dozen batteries through it..

A brief report:

Building:
No manual in the box but i downloaded and printed one off, is that normal for the Laser?
Build went well, the only hiccup was that one wing was a quite loose fit on the carbon joiner tube which allowed the wing to 'rattle' up an down a bit. It's the tube in the wing that's causing it as the same wing is loose even if I reverse the joiner tube. It can be fixed with a few wraps of tape over the tube but it's something that I've not come across before, usually the fit is quite tight. Other than that everything went fine, I used Savox SH-0257 on ailerons and rudder and 0255 on the elevator, these drop right into the holes without need for any trimming.

One thing i noticed while building is that the elevators and rudder no longer use geodetic construction, they have reverted to a more conventional design, it seems to work fine anyway.

All up weight with a 4s 2200mAh Gens Ace is 1440g (51.5oz), airframe less battery is 1190g. That's near enough identical to my Edge

Set-Up:
I transferred the Tx programming over from my Edge EXP and that seems just about perfect for the Laser. Bevels on ailerons are good for 45 deg throw and the elevator can do near enough 90 degrees up though that would take a slightly longer arm than comes with the kit, I made do with 75 deg

With a 2200mAh 4s battery the Motrolflt 2820, 13x7 Xoar and a 60A ZTW the CG came out as recommended on the wing joiner tube with the battery well forward on the tray.

Flying:
Maiden went perfectly. It only needed one click of right trim. To my dumb thumbs it flies very much like the Edge. It's very stable in high alpha and even I was harrier'ing around low and slow within a few minutes. For KE I found it benefited from a little opposite aileron mix, I ended up with -7% for both left and right rudder. It didnt need any elevator mix. Set like that it seems to track even better in KE than the Edge and KE loops are the easiest ever. KE spins, pop tops and blenders seemed to be similar to the Edge (i.e. excellent).
I found the CG had to come back a way from the centre of the tube, the battery ended up maybe 3/4" from the tube and it was still diving every so slightly when inverted. Those using heavier motor, ESC. prop and/or battery might find themselves a bit nose heavy.

I still haven't put the stickers on.. So do you guys use Windex when placing the decals as per the instructions?.. I've never tried it before as I was worried the Windex might prevent the sticker adhering properly.?
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:11 AM
Facts, Logic, 3D
Florida
Joined Nov 2010
3,582 Posts
If you're super careful you can get them on without using windex. I think "soapy water" is the recommended method. I'm not sure, I've never used the wet apply method for decals.

--Tom K.
Tom K. is offline Find More Posts by Tom K.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12S on the 3DHS 74" Edge 540
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:22 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
One thing i noticed while building is that the elevators and rudder no longer use geodetic construction, they have reverted to a more conventional design, it seems to work fine anyway.
I wonder why? Anybody out there got the scoop?

[/QUOTE]With a 2200mAh 4s battery the Motrolflt 2820, 13x7 Xoar and a 60A ZTW the CG came out as recommended on the wing joiner tube with the battery well forward on the tray.[/QUOTE]

SO what kind of watts/ thrust are you getting on that 13 x 7 as compared to the 14 x 7? How come a 2200 instead of the 2400 to 2600 I thought you were using with the Edge?

[/QUOTE]To my dumb thumbs it flies very much like the Edge.[/QUOTE]

How would you describe the differences in the two?
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:24 AM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
Its by far the best, 48" EXP in the wind! I'm digging mine..
Why you think that is? I would have assumed the Edge (Oops, I meant to say Extra) would have handled wind better as it is more pitch stable?
Last edited by YellowJacketsRC; Jun 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Wrong Model
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:49 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Why you think that is? I would have assumed the Edge would have handled wind better as it is more pitch stable?
I think the Laser is a bit more pitch stable. I'de place it between the Extra and the MXS in just about every performance parameter. It has better pitch authority than the Extra, but not as much as the MXS. It has better pitch stability than the MXS, but not as good as the Extra........ Etc, etc.

The Laser does seem to harrier better than the other two. It seems floatier, though it has the same amount of wing and weighs the same as the Extra. It doesn't make sense, but the laser hangs there on the air better at lower speed than the other two.

In some of the tumbling maneuvers the Laser seems to unload a little bit differently, but I am not yet sure if it has an advantage over the others. It certainly seems to do everything I ask of it well enough.

While the Edge is a completely different kind of plane, I'de say the Extra, Laser and MXS are very similar to each other, though each has it's area in which it shines. So far I am just loving the Laser's overall balance, and I am not trying to worry about it's subtleties too much.

See, that's the thing. I'm supposed to be dissecting the plane's performance and reporting on it, though I am simply enjoying it too much to be very objective about it. I guess for my style of flying and my preferences, the Laser is just "more perfect." I don't suppose that's a very bad endorsement, is it?

I'll definately be getting many more of the 48" Lasers, and absolutely a 60".
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:06 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,524 Posts
Thanks Doc. Yes I MEANT to say the Extra would be more stable in wind. Between the Extra and Laser and wind stability which is better in your opinion?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:20 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,366 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Doc. Yes I MEANT to say the Extra would be more stable in wind. Between the Extra and Laser and wind stability which is better in your opinion?
Yeah, Edge, Extra...... I often say or write one when I mean the other. At least the Laser's name is pretty distinct and we won't be confusing it with other planes much.

Like I say, they are similar and it is hard to tell. So far, I have exactly one flight on the Laser in reasonable conditions, and the rest have been in a ripping tropical whirwind. The Laser has handled it beautifully, though once or twice I have tried to play too many wind games down low, and dorked it. The plane has certainly turned out to be tough too.

Check my blog report because there are two videos taken in stupid high winds, and the plane seems relatively uneffected. That, or check Extreme Flight Laser EXP__Wind Shear Huckin RAW, where you can hear how bad the wind is howling.

I guess I would have to say they are close enough that I can't really tell. Both are simply outstandingly good in high winds. From what I can tell, they use the same wing and weigh the same, so the wind should theoretically effrect them the same.

Right now I am leaning toward the Laser and Extra being equal #1 favorites. They are very similar and very close, though the Laser is a little better for getting wild. That might be enough to push it to #1 on it's own merit as soon as I can get some more time with it in reasonable conditions.
Last edited by Doc Austin; Jun 17, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:33 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,145 Posts
Dead,

Batteries are the same ones I used in the Edge. The Laser needs the battery further back on the tray than the Edge with all the same hardware, so those using heavier kit in the nose may find themselves a touch nose heavy.

To be honest the differences between the laser and the Edge are very subtle the general feel of the plane is very very close. It seems just as stable in harrier as the Edge, possibly just a bit more violent in tumbling manoeuvres.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:39 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Batteries are the same ones I used in the Edge. The Laser needs the battery further back on the tray than the Edge with all the same hardware, so those using heavier kit in the nose may find themselves a touch nose heavy.
I've got mine way back there too, maybe an inch away from the absolute rear of the tray. I might move it back all the way if we ever get a day without 20 mph winds.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:44 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,145 Posts
Quote:
SO what kind of watts/ thrust are you getting on that 13 x 7 as compared to the 14 x 7?
On a fresh battery the 13x7 Xoar give 3.5Kg of thrust, the 14x7 APC gave 3.7Kg. I had to drop down a size of prop because the big prop was causing the magnets to hit the stator in KE spins.
Quote:
I wonder why? Anybody out there got the scoop?
I'd say almost certainly to keep production costs down, those geodetic tail surfaces must have been time consuming to build. The new elevator construction is all but identical to this pic taken of one of my other non-EF planes. The only difference being this one has the horn balance area sheeted where the laser is open. The laser has the same ribs, gussets and the same diagonal brace. It seems like a perfectly good design: