HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:26 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Damn your lucky my missus will allow me to work on a plane on the kitchen table - but for no longer than necessary....so if I aint finished it aint staying....so have to pack everything up
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:58 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
You know, I have this plane on the work stand on my dining room table (bless my wife, she put up with my week long builds) and everytime I go to the kitchen or the bedroom I pass it. And all I can think............ dam, this is a great looking plane, really loving the style of the laser
I'm not sure how far you got but in noticed a couple of differences in building the laser.

1) Input the 85mg on the left side at the more forward mounting opening. Like I said the wood is thin so when you go to cut it to enlarge it for the 85mg don't apply downforce. Instead carve it out. I was worried I would break the play wood.
2) make certain you glue around the way king tabs. I had a gap in mine that I filled with some Med CA.
3) Since you have the cowl and canopy mounted it doesn't look like you drilled it into position the cowl is mounted so that the canopy fits under it. Well at least with a 42mm can length I found that out. Course I always mount the motor then cowl so I'm glad I noticed this.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:38 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,327 Posts
Thanks for the tips, not understanding what the way king tabs are?
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 09:59 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,481 Posts
'Wing tabs' maybe?.. As in the little tabs that the wing retaining screws go through?

If that's the case I'd not really be concerned about a gap where they come out of the wing because they are fixed into the wing structure internally.

My Laser should arrive tomorrow
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:26 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Steve they are fixed internally with epoxy but on one of my wings there is a gap between the tab and the wing rib. I added a the CA to wick it up. I wish ef would have made the tabs a t style so that the t would but up against the wing rib and the flat on the fuse but the tab is just a flat piece of wood and epoxy.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:34 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,481 Posts
stgdz,
Doesn't the tab extend into the wing and pick up a second rib?.. Also on the inside face of the root rib I think there is a plywood doubler which should give most of the strength.

This is based on how it's done on the HK Slick, and I suspect the Laser will be similar.

In any case the tab doesn't carry anything significant in the way of flight loads so i'm sure will be more than strong enough.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:11 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
stgdz,
Doesn't the tab extend into the wing and pick up a second rib?.. Also on the inside face of the root rib I think there is a plywood doubler which should give most of the strength.
Yeah, it's really in there. I did not look at it real hard.... only enough to run some CA in there, but the whole structure is pretty stout.

Looking at the wings on other EXP, and other brands of planes, most are held on by a nylon bolt threading into a blind nut that is mouned on a plywood plate, inside the root rib with no further reinforcing. The wings are really not stresed to where there is any pressure on that joint, so it does not have to be bulletproof.

Still, the Laser wing hold downs are really beefy and I am not worried about them.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:14 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post

Still, the Laser wing hold downs are really beefy and I am not worried about them.
Agreed and I am nit picking because I know others may nit pick it also. I couldn't see a doubler on the back side but I seemingly miss more obvious things in the world according to my wife,

like why I went flying without doing the dishes, folding laundry, picking up the house, etc....

Needless to say I think the laser may surpass the extra as my go to plane.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:51 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post

Why? Why "needless to say"?

Just looking for your thoughts....
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:47 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Mine probably wiii as soon as I can get another one. We shot some video in 20 moh winds today, but maybe some of it will be decent. I hope to have it in a couple of hours.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:20 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, it's really in there. I did not look at it real hard.... only enough to run some CA in there, but the whole structure is pretty stout.

Looking at the wings on other EXP, and other brands of planes, most are held on by a nylon bolt threading into a blind nut that is mouned on a plywood plate, inside the root rib with no further reinforcing. The wings are really not stresed to where there is any pressure on that joint, so it does not have to be bulletproof.

Doc,have you ripped the wings off your laser yet?
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:44 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
Doc,have you ripped the wings off your laser yet?
No, but I did a death blender today that I thought was gonna sling the wheel pants off. We'll see if the video comes out.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:06 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
I've yet to tilt a wheel pant yet but I really tightened down those nuts.

Oh janole, that profile you liked looking at. It looks so good in the air! The side profile is completely different from anything out there currently. That bubble canopy is just plain cool.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:17 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,327 Posts
didn't get any work done on the laser today, but did go out and fly 5 pack on the 60" extra and 5 on my 48" edge (3dhs) I have to say I'm starting to like the extra a lot, it really likes to be flown fast, I might need to set up some kind of throttle curve as there is almost to much power in the middle, like when hovering and harrier-ing, is that something I should look into?

In all honesty, I'm really still more comfortable on the smaller 40-50" planes and that is why I'm so looking forwards to the laser
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:27 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Quote:
No, but I did a death blender today that I thought was gonna sling the wheel pants off. We'll see if the video comes out.
then i wouldn't worry about the wing design on the plane either if you haven't flung em off teeheehee,
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1