Old May 29, 2012, 11:03 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
"Given those colors... I must not have ever been within a mile or two of one"

As a wise man once said, "some of the best things in life are pink".
True dat!
Just saying they were a bit, um... easy to see, that's all.
Can't say anything... a few of my non-EF planes are also a bit more colorful than normal

Quote:
Honestly I did not choose those colors, nor did I design that plane. It's a long story, but the condensed version goes like this. I borrowed a lot of money to start EF. I got ripped off by a crooked Chinese manufacturer for $107,000.00 the first 6 months we were in business. EF was almost over before it started. I visited another factory that was making some very impressive models and they happened to have 500 of the Mini 3Ds in the box ready to go. They were intended for another company who never paid their bill to the factory. I got a chance to fly the plane and it was a really great flying model. I was offered a great price and we sold all 500 within a couple of months. This allowed us to recover a little bit of money and keep rolling.
Ouch!
Well, they say everything happens for a reason. One door shuts, another opens, cliche' blah blah...
I don't know about all that... but I'm glad you were able to turn it around and that EF is still alive and kickin' today!
I've known others that have packed it in and called it a day after losing a lot less.
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 11:17 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
I got ripped off by a crooked Chinese manufacturer for $107,000.00 the first 6 months we were in business.
Don't you just hate it when this sort of thing happens, and it still happens even today.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old May 29, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Aug 2004
976 Posts
Just curious, any new changes to reinforce the landing gear plate on the laser?
tho98027 is offline Find More Posts by tho98027
Old May 30, 2012, 03:03 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tho98027 View Post
Just curious, any new changes to reinforce the landing gear plate on the laser?
This was discussed earlier. It seems to be a totally new design compared to the other 48" EXPs. The Laser has got two G10 reinforced ply strips that run from the firewall back picking up the landing gear caprive nuts then they continue on through to the the former at the wing tube location. I assume these strips are intended to take out the torsion that tends to rip gear plates out of some planes.

You can see these strips on Docs build log photos. It's a similar design to what I've seen on other non-EF planes and it worked ok on them, so hopefully will be good on the Laser too.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old May 30, 2012, 08:16 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,334 Posts
It's also very similar to how the 60" planes gear mounting is done.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old May 30, 2012, 08:49 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,654 Posts
Reading about the history of EF has induced mind-bending nostalgia in me. I can remember reading about the old Mini 3D over dial-up internet back in the day...it was a very cool airplane; there just weren't any good small 3D capable airplanes out there, much less any ARF's. The 68" Yak was also very, very cool. A 3D and precision-capable airplane that small was unheard of in those days. There was also the 60-sized Extra 300L, 42% Extra 300L, 50cc Extra, Edge, and Yak, and didn't you guys do a foamie at some point as well?
cwojcik is online now Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old May 30, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,335 Posts
Yes, we were briefly in the foamie business with a Yak-55SP that was released around 2005 if I remember correctly. Problem was I had to drive 4 hours to Mike Hall's house in south Georgia and spend the weekend feeding Depron into his laser cutter. Once adding up all of my travel expenses, the cost of the hardware and packaging we realized we weren't making any profit. I think we sold a couple hundred and then moved on.
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old May 30, 2012, 01:38 PM
Extreme Flight Tech Support
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2005
822 Posts
If needed.. the manual is posted here:

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/manua...EXP_manual.pdf
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old May 30, 2012, 02:03 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Does the laser come with the cowl baffles to direct air at the motor?

The air is shown heat sink towards the foam side, should this be reversed?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old May 30, 2012, 10:23 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Today we got a difinitive answer about how good the new G10 landing gear block is. The rudder jammed in a KE spin and the plane got stuck! When I realized it wasn't coming out, I managed to get the wings level and slammed it into the runway like that. The Laser hit so hard that it broke the gear leg, and actually knocked the aluminum spinner cone off.....it actually pulled the aluminum nut off the engine shaft! It smashed the tailwheel straight up into the rudder and bent the crap out of the wire.

Outside of that, it scuffed up the SFGs, but the airframe was completely untouched!

When I had worked on the plane last night, I had the rudder servo out, I apparently didn't put the screws back in, and the rudder servo actually blew out of the airplane because the KE spin was so violent!

I replaced the gear and prop, bent the tailwheel wire back, screwed the servo in and kept flying it!
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old May 30, 2012, 10:27 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,452 Posts
did you get it on video, that sound like a great save
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old May 30, 2012, 10:29 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
Reading about the history of EF has induced mind-bending nostalgia in me. I can remember reading about the old Mini 3D over dial-up internet back in the day...it was a very cool airplane; there just weren't any good small 3D capable airplanes out there, much less any ARF's. The 68" Yak was also very, very cool. A 3D and precision-capable airplane that small was unheard of in those days. There was also the 60-sized Extra 300L, 42% Extra 300L, 50cc Extra, Edge, and Yak, and didn't you guys do a foamie at some point as well?
wait you've been doing 3D since the days of dial up?

I guess that's why I feel like I suck every time I watch your videos .
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old May 30, 2012, 10:35 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,586 Posts
Well, I'm off to a roaring start. I've hit all the joints I can reach with fresh thin Mercury CA, and hinged the ailerons.
Now my eyes are watering, so I've set the thing aside to let all that finish firing off.
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 10:44 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janole View Post
did you get it on video,
No, my videos guys have disappeared. One was supposed to be there today but didn't make it. I really do need to get a hat-camn or something.

Quote:
...that sounds like a great save
Some of it was great and some of it was luck. Mostly it was just one damm tough airplane.

When I got it home I pulled the cowling, took the wings off and checked everything. I found absolutelyt notihng wrong except one of the SFGs was broken under the covering, so I shot some CA in there with a hypo.

There is actually less G10 materil in the KG block, but it looks like they doubled up on the thickness. This geeps the strength where the stress is, and doesn't have any unnecessaryt weight where it's not doing any good. Frankly, when I saw the new block I wasn't so sure, but now I think it is stronger than even the older style EXP LG blocks. It took one really impressive shot that would have oblitherated some planes.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old May 30, 2012, 10:44 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
Doc always saves his crashes for some reason. They always escape.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz