HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2003, 01:09 PM
40%, 5% whats the diff?
Baltimore Greenbelt, Maryland, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,341 Posts
Mega Brushless 16/15/7 Direct Drive and an APC 11x4.7 Slowfly Prop (8 cells only)
Max power Mega Brushless 16/15/4 with the Astro 709 Gearbox and APC 12x6 Slowfly Prop
Yah I don't really like mega brushless motors. Id rather use something like a hacker 20 15 l
TeamSME is offline Find More Posts by TeamSME
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2003, 02:56 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Feb 2002
822 Posts
YOU DONT LIKE MEGA! Pity on you. The best setup is a Mega 16/15/4, Astro 3.3:1 gear and an APC 12+6 slowfly, TP 2100 LiPoly= 20+ minute flights and Insaine vert. This setup runs cooler then enything out there. O ya i dont realy like Hacher motors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So we are =
kody'd'punk is offline Find More Posts by kody'd'punk
Old Oct 20, 2003, 03:04 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
I like Mega because it's American... Don't really like sending my $$ to Germany if I can avoid it..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Oct 20, 2003, 03:14 PM
iankraus.com/rcvideo
Joined Jun 2001
450 Posts
I thought mega was made in the czech republic ??
iankraus is offline Find More Posts by iankraus
Old Oct 20, 2003, 06:54 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
<flame suit on>
What's wrong with sending money to Germany? We don't seem to mind sending our hobby $$$ everywhere else, from China to Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Czech Republic, Argentina, Mexico, you name it.

If it's a "buy American" thing, AFAIK, the only American made electric motors are by Astroflight and Aveox. If there are others I forgot, I'm sure someone will chime in. For me, I just buy the equipment that works and best serves my needs. I'm not all that concerned about who made it.
And, take a look at the country of origin for what's parked in your driveway before you call me un-American.

Rick
<flame suit off but on standby>
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Oct 20, 2003, 07:23 PM
40%, 5% whats the diff?
Joined Jul 2003
1,341 Posts
I didnt know mega was made in america. Cool. I just don't like the look of the mega!!
Sean
Old Oct 20, 2003, 09:06 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,869 Posts
When I sent my Mega in to be fixed it came back from the Czech Republic about two months later. Also it says so on the box.

I like both the Tantrum and the G-480, but agree with the earlier post about Tantrum being 3D and the G-480 pattern.

oh - I have them both
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Oct 20, 2003, 09:08 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ElectRick
<flame suit on>
What's wrong with sending money to Germany? We don't seem to mind sending our hobby $$$ everywhere else, from China to Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Czech Republic, Argentina, Mexico, you name it.

Eh, I'm not gonna flame you..

Basically, it's like this... I spend my money where I want to..

Well, I don't think many of those countries you listed seem to have an Anti-American sentiment as Germany does... You can send your money to where ever you like.. If i can get a product of similar performance from a country that isn't openly anti-us, they will get MY money..

On the other hand mega's may be made in the Czech Republic.. Which works out nicely as my mothers family is from there.. So, i'm supporting my "peoples" haha..
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:51 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
I spend my money where I want to..
That's cool..I can respect that, and certainly it's your right to do that.

I forgot to mention Razor motors as American made (if you can find one).

Rick
Old Oct 21, 2003, 03:22 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
RIck-thanks for respecting my "thoughts."

You know though.. I guess it does seem semi-hypocritical that I will not buy a Hacker but I will put gas in my car.. Where does THAT come from.. Ya know?? There's a guy I knew in high school, we were talking one day and he told me his dad was a preacher and wouldn't go eat at any resturant that sold beer.. So i asked him if he shopped at wal-mart? They sell beer.. Does he go to just about any grocery store in the US, they sell beer.. Where does he buy his gas? When was the last time you saw a 7-11 with no beer? I mean, yeh.. hypocritical or just a weak stand on an issue.. Sorta silly to me..

I dunno, I'm sure I will actually own a Hacker one day, just simply for the fact that I want to see what they are all about.. I'll just order it from an American.

However, since this whole new "Iraqi War", France and Germany are on my crap list.. I've never liked France and I used to think Germany would be a cool place to go visit.. Now I guess I'll just go to Scottland..

Yeh, I've bought up as many Razors as I can find! I love those little motors!
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:15 PM
40%, 5% whats the diff?
Joined Jul 2003
1,341 Posts
Dude new york, doesnt hold a candle to amsterdam!!! edit is legal there!!! And theres like a 2% crime rate there!!
Sean
Last edited by GregG; Oct 22, 2003 at 12:04 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:23 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
That was random??
Old Oct 21, 2003, 07:25 PM
I fly Army UAVs!
West Saint Paul, MN
Joined Aug 2002
594 Posts
I own a tantrum and I have to say it is by far one of my favorite planes to fly.

This past weekend I won a funfly with it against a bunch of glow guys who thought my plane wouldnt be able todo the egg drop event. (first event was a 30 second climb and glide 2nd was 2 loops 2 rolls and 2 stall turns in a set time and 3rd was an egg drop) I won all the events hands down with this plane. The only other plane that was close to me was another tantrum with a differnt set up than mine.

I cant say enough good things about the tantrum.

As far as the g480 I was looking at a build thread on it today and I have to say I am going to buy one once I get the money to finish all my current projects. It looks to be quite a bit more patternish and crisp than the tantrum to me.

If your flying style is low and slow with alot of close in 3d stuff go with the tantrum. If you like the bigger more percise manuvers go for the g480.

I wish I could give to a true comparasian of both of them but since I dont have a g480 yet I really cant comment on it.

Harry
Kwesdog is offline Find More Posts by Kwesdog
Old Oct 21, 2003, 11:03 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Having spent some time in Amsterdam myself, I have to admit it is "THE place to go" for all things considered immoral, illegal or harmful here in the US.

I couldn't live there...I'd be dead in a month.
Tram, it might make you feel less hypocritical about driving your car to know that a huge percentage, as in MOST, of our oil comes from either Venezuela, Canada, or from within the US.

And I am SURE the Hacker guys in Germany love us Americans. We send 'em the green, and they send us the purple.

Rick
Old Oct 22, 2003, 02:54 AM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Ahh well.. rock on then!