Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Discussion
Best method to charge a 1600 NiMh flatpack?

What is the recommended method for charging a replacement 1600 NiMh flatpack that I just bought for my glider? I have a Hyperion programmable charger that can charge and balance all types of batteries. Should I use that?
Riodiler1 is offline Find More Posts by Riodiler1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:03 PM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
698 Posts
Rio,

I'm no expert on batteries, but these new programmable chargers make me feel like a wizard! I'd say, get out your Hyperion instructions and check it out. I use my old Multiplex charger on LiPos, NiCads, and NiMH without any issues. Just follow instructions and you'll be fine.

Dave
Highride is offline Find More Posts by Highride
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:37 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,102 Posts
For at least the first charge, charge at 1/10 C (160 ma in this case) for a minimum of 18 hours (24 hours is better).

I have seen many people fast charge NiMh cells the first time and they do not charge to the full capacity.

Using a forming charger is also a good idea if you have one, but the old 24 hour 1/10C is still the ticket for nickel chemistry cells.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:17 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
For at least the first charge, charge at 1/10 C (160 ma in this case) for a minimum of 18 hours (24 hours is better).

I have seen many people fast charge NiMh cells the first time and they do not charge to the full capacity.

Using a forming charger is also a good idea if you have one, but the old 24 hour 1/10C is still the ticket for nickel chemistry cells.
Agreed! And after that first forming charge, I would run several charge/discharge cycles to make sure you're getting close to the labeled capacity.
Then you can safely fly the pack.

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:20 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
We all agree here.

A characteristic to be aware of with NiMh batteries is the possibility of a "false peak" meaning the batteries fool the charger that they are fully charged before they are because the voltage rises very quickly in the early charge cycle.

The better chargers ignore this or allow you to program a time-frame to ignore this spike and keep charging.

With a less sophisticated charger (like the home wall charger supplied for consumer batteries) or to double check your charger...once "charged" I wait a 1/2 hour and put them back on charge. Not once has the charger not continued to charge for up to a half hour.

I use NiMh in my transmitters and always charge twice and I have a nice charger that is supposed to take care of business with NiMh.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:46 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
24hrs assumes the pack is empty. You can still damage cells @ 1/10C charge rate, especially when you get up to higher capacity like these.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W