HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined May 2006
585 Posts
Discussion
AXI motor same quality as Scorpion

AXI has three bearings it seams.
What is the difference between the two as far as quality.

Looking for motor with the least vibration out of these two.

For an industrial multirotor project.
gtxkid is offline Find More Posts by gtxkid
Last edited by gtxkid; Feb 27, 2012 at 12:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:49 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,061 Posts
Some might claim the Axi as the Superior product :-).
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined May 2006
585 Posts
What is more of an industrial motor.
Or are they close as to build quality.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:20 PM
Inspiration
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Aug 2011
888 Posts
AXI is from Germany, Scorpion is from Hongkong. AXI are mostly for low speed direct-drive-propeller use, while scorpion has a greater diversity.

in terms of the material (40xx series):

----------------------------------------AXI-------------------------------------Scorpion
stator lamination thickness-----seems to b 0.3mm-----------------0.2mm
bearing system--------------------3-bearing system-------------------2 bearings
inner bearing mounting----------mounted in the holder tube-------in the stator
magnets-----------------------------not specified-------------------------N50EH, curved
propeller mounting----------------on shaft or on the bell----------------only on the shaft
price:---------------------------------seems to be more costly

I love the 3 bearing system of AXI, with the inner 2 smaller bearings fixed inside the aluminium stator holder tube, making the motor running stable when directly driving a propeller. The lamination thickness of 0.3mm seems to be not so bad, comparing with the scorpion's 0.2mm, since the AXI is a 12N14P, and mainly used for low-rpm application, in which the eddy current may not be that significantly influenced by the lamination thickness. I love the way to mount the propeller adaptor on the bell with 3 M3 or M4 screws, very stable and promising comparing with mounting on the shaft.

I own a duplicated AXI (unknown Chinese brand) that seems to have very similar materials with the original AXI motors, in terms of magnets, stator size and thickness, bearing system. I own several scorpion 40xx. I rewinding all of them. the rewinded AXI (duplicated), seems to be very nice^^
modisc is offline Find More Posts by modisc
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:07 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,429 Posts
There is no comparison. Axi is definitely the superior product. I have a lot of different brand motors and I do have Axi for a long time and some Scorpions I tried because others go on about it. Scorpion is crap. Look in the “FAQ Scorpion Motors: Questions and Answers....” thread where I described my problems with the Scorpion 5535-190. I removed it and replaced it with a Axi 5345 and now the plane is much beter and the motor does not want to put the plane on fire like the scorpion does. The scorpion is in a box together with other cheap and broken motors now.

As for the Scorpion 30xx to Axi 28xx bearing comparison, this picture speaks for itself. The same as other people I found that scorpion bearings do not last long. And, the finishing workmanship is much beter on the Axi.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined May 2006
585 Posts
Thankyou
There is the answer i have been looking for.

Do you consider a multirotor application low rpm.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:16 PM
Fylingdales Flyer
Yorkshire Coast. United kingdom
Joined Apr 2008
83 Posts
Axi is not from Germany, they are manufactured in the Czech republic.
BayNavigator is offline Find More Posts by BayNavigator
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:24 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,429 Posts
Last edited by rebell; Mar 02, 2014 at 01:43 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:25 PM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayNavigator View Post
Axi is not from Germany, they are manufactured in the Czech republic.
Just what I thought too. Axi is from "Model Motors"

http://www.modelmotors.cz/
Masterpiece is offline Find More Posts by Masterpiece
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:38 PM
Inspiration
Joined Aug 2011
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebell View Post
Btw, Axi is not from Germany, it is from the Czech Republic.

And where does scorpion say their magnets are N50? And, the scorpion motors I have does not have curved magnets.
Right, sorry about that. AXI is a Cz motor. the scorpion website indicated they are using N50.

And yes, for sure, they have curved magnets...at least on all my 40xx.

The price of a motor basically tells you all the story. I would say in my opinion, Scorpion has better material in terms of the stator laminations and magnets (but maybe AXI is using a high temperature N50, or N50EH, as well). 2 thing i do not like about scorpion: one is that the fixing screws are too small, four M3 motors on 40XX .... the other is that the inner bearing is fixed in place by the stator itself, and it only has 2 bearings. About AXI, i never doubt their performance in direct-drive propeller application, the 0.3mm laminations are good enough for "low" rpm.

I need to say that my knowledge is only based on 40xx comparison...i have no idea about other sized from AXI. So any incorrect comments above, please forgive me ^^
Last edited by modisc; Feb 28, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:58 PM
iva
Vancouver Harbour Sp, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
539 Posts
AXI Gold Series is from Czech Republic and Silver Series is from China.
iva is offline Find More Posts by iva
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:36 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,429 Posts
What is your definition of “low r.p.m.”? Or “high r.p.m.” for that matter? I use Axi motors for a long time now and also have scorpion and I can assure you, Axi run cooler and more efficient than scorpion. It is not just practical use I am talking about, but dyno tests for power and efficiency. The lamination thickness advantage is overrated in this application and only come to play at very high frequency under certain conditions, much higher than what the normal ESC and motor is working at.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:19 PM
Inspiration
Joined Aug 2011
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebell View Post
What is your definition of “low r.p.m.”? Or “high r.p.m.” for that matter? I use Axi motors for a long time now and also have scorpion and I can assure you, Axi run cooler and more efficient than scorpion. It is not just practical use I am talking about, but dyno tests for power and efficiency. The lamination thickness advantage is overrated in this application and only come to play at very high frequency under certain conditions, much higher than what the normal ESC and motor is working at.
I agree with you that lamination thickness does not matters much in low rpm application. for example, i use a rewinded 4120, 22turns delta, Kv410, to drive a 18X8, 6S, rpm is around 8,000. I guess that is "low".

For scorpion in EDF, such as 4035 800Kv in 120mm dynamax, 10-12S, rpm is around 28,000, i would say that is "high". When you say about lamination thickness advantage, do you have any reference indicating that it only matters during much higher frequency? I have to doubt that cause think about a conventional transformer, that works with normal AC current, 50-60Hz, why do they use lamination steel core instead of using a solid iron E shaped rod? I guess 50-60Hz is pretty low... Anyway, i would love to learn.

there are many factors contributing to efficiency curve of a motor running at certain load (propeller). I will not doubt AXI has top quality. I am just saying, scorpion and axi, they are of different use.

by the way, here is a pic showing a scorpion 4035 that has "curved" magnets. Or it may be too "flat" according to your standards. I will be amazed to see a pic of your "flat" scorpion though.
Last edited by modisc; Feb 28, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:00 PM
rpf
Joined Jun 2005
2 Posts
Power inequality

Have any of you looked at how much power each motor can produce (same size ,same or very similar windings?
rpf is offline Find More Posts by rpf
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:45 PM
Joined May 2006
585 Posts
Where can i buy 16 2814-20 or (2814-22) AXI motors from at a good price.