HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:14 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,758 Posts
Discussion
Night flyers

So, what is everything flying for a night flyer? I know what Bradley has but I'm going to build something for use at SEFF. Thinking about outfitting the mini swift since it's a pretty unexciting flyer anyways so it would be great for nighttime.

Just found this for scale. Great deal really:

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/scale...ilter_name=led

That's like Hobbyking pricing from a U.S. company. I will probably get that and put it on the T-28. Not really enough for night flying but cool for late evening flying.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,327 Posts
i am flying a 38" EPP slick from 3dhs...night flying ended up being a little easier than i thought it would have been
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:32 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,758 Posts
3d foamy would be good. I'll probably just do the little wing but may consider augmenting the LED kit that I just bought on the Trojan with a few more led's to make it full nightflyer. I guess we'll see.

So far that new vendor altitude hobbies seems pretty good. Shipping was only $3.50 for motor, led kit, and some heat shrink tubing.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:45 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,634 Posts
Altitude is great!! I have made a few orders form them. Great prices , fast shipping.
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:56 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,381 Posts
Really cool light kit!

I am trying to figure out what to light up next as well, but I am unsure...
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:44 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Really cool light kit!

I am trying to figure out what to light up next as well, but I am unsure...
Yeah, I need to figure out what lights go where. The only thing I know is "red light left wing, green on right" and then "strobe" on the tail. Not sure what they mean by "beacon" versus "strobe". Should be cool. Looking forward to some night flying.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:45 PM
With great pwer comes great 3D
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
I fly a parkzone T-28 and prefer more than just a single light on the tips and tail as that setup seems to be. But then again I'm not just poking around the sky either, I've got a power 10 and wring the plane out at night as well as day time.
killsdeer4fun is offline Find More Posts by killsdeer4fun
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:41 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killsdeer4fun View Post
I fly a parkzone T-28 and prefer more than just a single light on the tips and tail as that setup seems to be. But then again I'm not just poking around the sky either, I've got a power 10 and wring the plane out at night as well as day time.
Decided to go scale with the T-28 and I'm planning to repaint it and such. Might even take some Chinese retracts and put them in as some have done. So, it's out for true night flying and I'll stick with the wings.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:11 PM
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
Mine as flaps on it but is stick color. My dad painted his to the Navy instrument trainer in yellow. Mostly like the one below which is the real scheme.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:29 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,758 Posts
That's pretty much the scheme I plan to go with. High visibility, kinda cool. The white is discoloring due to the glues they used and looking bad anyways.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:43 PM
Globe, USA, Clemson, SC
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
Found the pics of his. It looks more yellow in person. The wires sticking out by the tail and wings are for the lights that weren't on it yet.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:24 PM
Evasive maneuvers boys!
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jun 2010
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar View Post
Yeah, I need to figure out what lights go where. The only thing I know is "red light left wing, green on right" and then "strobe" on the tail. Not sure what they mean by "beacon" versus "strobe". Should be cool. Looking forward to some night flying.
Hey Russ,

This web site may be useful.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...cs/q0263.shtml

Mike D.
mdunn30 is offline Find More Posts by mdunn30
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:58 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdunn30 View Post
Hey Russ,

This web site may be useful.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...cs/q0263.shtml

Mike D.
Very helpfull, thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:26 PM
Evasive maneuvers boys!
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jun 2010
143 Posts
Russ,

I noticed that there's a mistake in Altitude Hobbies' description of the G.T. Power LED Kit. They list the red beacons twice; first as "2x Red Beacons" and then again as "2x Slow-flashing Red Lights". (Which also describes the difference between the beacons and the strobes: the beacons flash slowly, the strobes quickly.) The G.T. Power LED Kit actually comes with:

(2) Red Beacons
(2) White Strobes
(2) White Landing Lights
(1) Red Navigation Light
(1) Green Navigation Light

So, if I understand everything correctly; the red navigation light goes on the port (left) wingtip, the green navigation light goes on the starboard (right) wingtip, the two white strobes go on the respective wingtips aft of the navigation lights, the red beacons are located on the fuselage top and bottom approximately midships, and the two white landing lights go in any number of forward pointing locations (including the wing root, in the outboard wing, or somewhere along the forward fuselage).

I also noticed that Altitude Hobbies is listing these LEDs as "out of stock". You can get these on eBay (albeit from China) for $12.39 + free shipping. If you don't need them in a gosh awful hurry it might be an option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-T-POWER-8-...item2a109ed0cd

Mike
mdunn30 is offline Find More Posts by mdunn30
Last edited by mdunn30; Feb 28, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:43 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,758 Posts
I must have gottten the last one. Is there not often a white strobe on the tail of smaller planes? I know some have them like this:

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/aircraf...l-cts-kit.html

I was thinking of putting one of the white ones on the tail.