SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:32 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Tim,

I'd be interested to know what motor that PC-21 has in it? and what prop is it spinning?
Let me know what you find out if your at the shop.

Your right on that 160 Monster Motor....been looking around and does not seem like anyone has it in stock....could be a problem to find.

did not get a response on the PM, did you get it?.......

Later

Mike
Snaer810 is offline Find More Posts by Snaer810
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:36 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,004 Posts
Yep, that PC-21 is basically identical in weight and dimensions. I dont think I want to make the cockpit an access point; like you said, I have no issues with removing the wing to access the packs. I have a big Robart foam airplane stand that I can put it on upside down and easily add the packs in. Another option is to put a switch in the bottom in the form of a deans connector or XT60 (whatever kind of connector suits you). That way I can connect the packs and bolt everything up, then when I get her to the flight line, just plug in the conector to complete the circuit. Its a quick way to remove power from the system in the event of an emergency too.

As far as the MP 160 not being in stock. The Chinese manufacturers send things in waves; I have a feeling it wont be too long.
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:44 AM
Pro Builder
United States, FL, Englewood
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
Yea i got Pm last night when i was at home. I will check in a bit. The motor in the pc21 is a HIMAX HC63 HC6332-230 Swinging a APC 19x12E Prop.
tim.arf is offline Find More Posts by tim.arf
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:26 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Tim,

Thanks for the information ....Have to look at the setup too. Oh and thank for getting back to me on the PM.
__________________________________________________ _______________________

Matt,

That's a great idea....So that helps in not having to fiddle around with the wing out on the flight-line.

I may be tapping you for information when it comes to wiring etc., if that works for you? Just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly and sounds like you have some experience in this area. That's why I'm here, to learn and share what I know.....and of cousre not blow myself up!!.............LOL

Thanks for help.

Mike
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:49 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,004 Posts
Mike, mine has not arrived yet, should be tomorrow. Can you tell me the width of the cockpit tub? I need to see what size pilot bust will fit.
thanks,
matt
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:17 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Matt,

The tub is divided into 2 levels, rear portion for the pilot seat and front for the mock floor. The front is about 4" wide and you could go to 4 1/4" on the rear seat portion. Let me know the pilots you find out there.

Thanks

Mike
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Jul 2008
63 Posts
Texan

Just got mine last week. Canopy was cracked and some other damage to the wing ends, some of the decals musta been smudged at the factory so they botched up the lettering when they tried to fix it free handed, and they forgot to include the stock hardware.....grrrr!! No problem, the guys at TBM fixed me up with a replacement today so I also decided to get the 36cc and a 3blade to go with it. Got the elect retracts too but the wheels are painted plastic and the cheap foam thats used for elect. type chinese models?!?!
All being said, I'm actually pretty impressed with this lil bird. Would like to get a good looking scale pilot, and some good looking aluminum wheels. Any leads on these?
2Big is offline Find More Posts by 2Big
Old Mar 06, 2012, 05:40 PM
Pro Builder
United States, FL, Englewood
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Big View Post
Just got mine last week. Canopy was cracked and some other damage to the wing ends, some of the decals musta been smudged at the factory so they botched up the lettering when they tried to fix it free handed, and they forgot to include the stock hardware.....grrrr!! No problem, the guys at TBM fixed me up with a replacement today so I also decided to get the 36cc and a 3blade to go with it. Got the elect retracts too but the wheels are painted plastic and the cheap foam thats used for elect. type chinese models?!?!
All being said, I'm actually pretty impressed with this lil bird. Would like to get a good looking scale pilot, and some good looking aluminum wheels. Any leads on these?
If they are the V2 Retracts then you can put the Nice ESM Alum Wheels and tires on it. Shoot me a PM if your interested in some. We have them in Stock! We Also have Pilot's in stock too

CLICK HERE FOR TIRES

Click here For Pilot
tim.arf is offline Find More Posts by tim.arf
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:25 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
ESM Version 2 wheel hubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Big View Post
Well I talked to folks at TBM to clarify this and they indiacted that all the version II ESM retracts come with aluminum hubs, although they are not the real nice hubs that you can buy separately. They appear a little lighter hub so they will not over stress the retract. Remember that if you buy the upgraded hubs that it is actually the hub only, No Tire.

Tim, one thing that seems to be a little contraversal on the web site is that you say to upgrade to the nice hubs, but the web site indicates that it is not recommended for the ESM electric retracts due to the added weight and possible stress. So I guess, which is it??? Seems that these are pretty strong retracts and the added weight would not really be adding that much stress and it might actually slow the action down slightly which would be more realistic.

Let us know what you find out....Thanks

Mike
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:46 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Additional parts are on their way!

Finally after a bit more research, talking with other conversion guys, taking some additional measurements and weight/balance calculations I started ordering some of the required parts for the Texan II.

The Turnigy SK3 6374 192kv, Turnigy 120A HV Opto ESC and (2) 6S 5000mah
25C Flight Max Lipo's are all on the way from HK. Found a dealer on Ebay for my Hitec 5645 MG servos. Picked up (6) for about $37.50 ea. Not a bad deal!!

The last thing on order are the version II electric retracts. They should be here by Fri. or Sat. So I guess we'll see what kind of quality are in the wheels, but so far I have been really impressed with the quality of the plane. I'm pretty confident that the accessories should be of the same quality.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:50 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,004 Posts
a few pics of mine that arrived 2 days ago. BTW, I realize this is your build thread Mike, I can start my own thread if you want. No problem at all.
Matt
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:10 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Mods that I am looking at??

Well, after looking at some installation options I have a few that I'm not sure of at this point.

1) After looking at the installation for the motor, I did not see any kind of right thrust or down thrust built into the firewall. I talked to Jeff at TBM and he said that he couldn't recall any of the guys installing the motors with any thrust angles or offsets. As far as he knew they were mounting the motors direct to the firewall and he has not had any problems or concerns voiced at this time. Any ideas on this guys??? I have read in other forums that most of the time they are building a least 1' degree of right thrust into the install.

2) The only thing that I am not satisifed with on this aircraft is the recommended installation of the rudder control. Just don't like the pull-pull for this model. I'm sure it will operate the rudder just fine, but it seems like it will detract from the scale looks of the aircraft with those cables coming out the top of the fuse. It would be different if they were running out under the horizonal stab where you couldn't see them.
I've been looking at the install of the rudder on the PC-21 and it keeps everything so much cleaner looking. So I'm trying to figure out how to possibly modify this to maintain a cleaner scale look.

Any ideas out there??? Would really like to hear them.

Mike
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:16 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Hope you stick around!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
a few pics of mine that arrived 2 days ago. BTW, I realize this is your build thread Mike, I can start my own thread if you want. No problem at all.
Matt
Matt,

Heck, I think its great having a couple of builds (2 ,3 ??) going on in one thread. Lets us communicate a lot better and see each others progress. Plus I'm expecting to learn a lot from your electric knowledge.....LOL
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:00 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,004 Posts
As far as the rudder goes, I agree. heres what Im going to do:
I plan on using a small piece of aluminum in the shape of a control horn, screwed into the bottom of the rudder. There will be a recess cut out to accomodate the control horn so its flush with the bottom. That way, there will only be one rod coming off the rudder and if its painted white, it will blend in pretty well. Add in a 4-40 rod with a small carbon fiber tube over it running inside the fuse, and she will be very strong.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:16 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Matt,

I figured that if I could not get into the back of the fuse to run an internal 4-40 rod up throught the stab into the rudder I would end up doing some what the same thing you designed. Its definitly an easrier way to go. At least it will be a lot cleaner.