HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:48 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Build Log
ESM T-6 Texan II Conversion

I am starting a build conversation thread on the new ESM T-6 Texan II. The model should be arriving sometime Tues. 2/28 or Wed. 2/29/12. I had the opportunity to visit my son at Vance AFB in OK. last year, (He's a pilot with the NH Air Guard flying the KC-135).... and ever since seeing the T-6 fly I knew I wanted to build this or hope that a nice ARF would show up on the market. Well by everything that I am being told, the ESM T-6 Texan II is a beautiful model with great flight characteristics. Because this of course being a turbine aircraft I just could not see putting a standard gas engine in it. After reading a lot and talking with Greg Covey (a very knowledgeable electric conversion hobbyist) I thought lets go electric and put one of Benedini's Sound systems in this bird to really trick it out.

[Oh BTW this is my first electric aircraft build,..... been a gas man for quite sometime] I know it may seem foolish to attempt this kind of project right off the bat, but I've been doing my homework, have a lot of help from my club members and I am hoping to gain a lot more knowledge from folks here, not to speak of making a few good RC buddies while I'm at it.

This project will be taking some time to put together. It will be based on time available (Yes I still work..... ; funds....Yes the Wifey still watches the pocket book..... and parts availability. So as you can see this is not going to be something that will be complete in a month....I'm hoping by June.

Below is a list of the items I am planning on being installed on this project.

ESM T-6 TEXAN II
ESM V2 RETRACTS
TRUE TURN SPINNER
18x8 3 BLADE BELIA PROP
JR 8103 / ASSAN conversion to 2.4
ASSAN 9 channel RX
HITEC 5645 SERVOS
A123 6.6V, 2300mah Radio Pkg. Power
TURNIGY AERODRIVE SK3 - 6374-192KV BRUSHLESS OUTRUNNER MOTOR
CASTLE CREATIONS 120HV ESC
12S 5000MAH LIPOS
BENEDINI SOUND SYSTEM

When the aircraft arrives I'll make sure and post some pictures and let you know how everything looks. I'm up for comments and ideas from all the electric guys!!
Snaer810 is offline Find More Posts by Snaer810
Last edited by Snaer810; Feb 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:15 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Well it here right on time.

Well I received the T-6 Texan II today. All I can say is WOW!!!

What a beautiful aircraft! The packing was very professional, everything wrapped in foam and sealed in a plastic bag. All the hardware appears to be top grade, just not sure how much of it will be used; basically will depend on installation chosen. All surfaces on both the built up sections (Wings, Stab, Rudder) and epoxy formed (Fusealage) are perfectly finished with enamel and clear coated to seal the finsih and all decals. Cockpit dash is completed very nicely. As usual the instructions are a bit gray, so your definitly going to want to have some ARF assembly experience or some good building knowledge before you tackeling one of these projects.

Pictures below show the aircraft fitted together and everything at this time appears to fit very very well.

Because of not being able to see the construction detail of this aircraft a head of time, I am already studying electronics placement (i.e. Batteries, ESC, Servo's, RX, etc.) trying to compute weight and balance and possible modifications that will need to be made in order to convert this to electric. One item that is standing out is the modifications necessary to place the speakers for the Benedini Sound System. Hopefully I'll have room in the wings, not a hole lot of cord there to work with.

Well enjoy the pictures and I'll have more later. Motor, ESC, Batteries and Retracts is on order. Will be ordering the sound system once I have a better idea of placement.

Talk to ya'll later

Mike
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:38 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
Very cool! I am a big fan of both the PC-9 and PC-21. I am interested to see how that SK3 performs on 12s. I have had great luck with the 63mm motors from HK on 12s. Are you getting the gen 2 electric retracts for it from TBM?
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:36 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Hey Scat....
Yes they are going to be the new V2 retracts from TBM. They operate so much better than the V1. Exactly what 63mm motors have you been using?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:19 PM
Pro Builder
United States, FL, Englewood
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
subscribed. I am wanting to build a T-28 but the red and blue one and i want to use electric retracts.
tim.arf is offline Find More Posts by tim.arf
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:16 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
I have used an older SK 6364-230 and a Turnigy 6374-200 in some 80" and above planes and they all flew great. My dad has the 200kv in an 80" extra right now on 12s with a 20" prop. Next time I talk to him ill ask what his numbers are on that setup.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:10 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Scat,

That would be great information to have. I'm trying to use a 3 or 4 blade scale prop on this and have run the figures on MotoCalc and it appears that the 6374 192kv will turn the proop with no problem. Actually it is indiacting that the motor would be more efficent with larger prop. I'm trying to stick with either an 18 to 19 in. dia. I'm not sure if I will have the ground clearance for a 20". The exact 20% scale would be a 19". If you have a chance could you ask your dad what the weight was coming in at on his extra?

I'm hoping for no more than 18 to 19 lbs...but I have a feeling it may be more. Of course this is all adding to the wing loading. The wing loading was to come in at 34.7 oz/sqft and with the added weight calculations I'm up at 41 oz/sqft. But that was at worst case at 21 lbs.

I'll be taking weight measurements of everything soon to get an exact empty weight measurement to start the project.

Well talk to you later!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:13 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Hey Tim!

Thanks for joining in. Hope you enjoy the build...its not going to be a speedy build, but should move along as time and the pocket book last.....
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:59 AM
Pro Builder
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
If you need any thing check out http://arfpromodelplanes.com/ Give us a Call if you need anything!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:44 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Thanks Tim, Will do!!
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:55 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,847 Posts
I just ordered the same Texan II yesterday! looking forward to it arriving soon. Im electrifying it as well on 12S 5000, and I want to run a Biela 4 blade for scale. My options are an 18x10 4 blade or drop down to a 17x8 4 blade.

Im also planning on this Monster Power 160
http://www.hobbypartz.com/mo1602brmo.html
Leaning towards the CC120HV as well

Think its a good motor choice?
Matt
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tamiya FJ Cruiser Review
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:11 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Morning Web Dr.!!

Thanks for joining in on the build....congrats on purchasing one of these beautiful aircraft. Not sure if you have ever seen these aircraft, but I was really impressed with the craftsmanship on this plane. You will too!

This will be great having another builder at my side....so hopefully we can help each other out through this process. As indicated in my initial post, this is my first electric and conversion..... So hope you don't mind if I have some dumb questions once in awhile.

Looks like that motor you were looking at may work out great. As some good reviews anyway..and you can't beat the price. I don't think you'll have any problem swinging a 18X10 or 18X12 on that motor. If you like, I have the MotoCalc program and can run the figures for ya and send a copy over if you like.

OH....BTW, You were looking at running a 12S, 5000mah battery and the data for the motor indicates it is rated for up to a 10S...But I'll be more than glad to run the data and see what it comes out at on 10S or 12S.

Let us know when it arrives....

Later

Mike
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:56 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,847 Posts
Mike, I saw the 10s limit as well, but there seem to be many people running 12s with no issues, so Im going to give it a try. I have 10s 5000 as well so if it gets too hot, Ill drop it down. Subscribed
Matt
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tamiya FJ Cruiser Review
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:05 AM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2008
72 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me!

Let me know when the airplane arrives and what you think about it?

I have been looking at a thread on a ESM PC 21 build that would be very similair to this aircraft. They had completed some fusalage mods for the battery trays and access through the cockpit area. Not sure that I am going to do this or not. Didn't feel like it would be that big of a deal to take the wing off in order to charge the battieries, but will have to look at that closer. Have you looked at making this modification or have your ideas on battery placement?
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:20 AM
Pro Builder
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
Great to hear you got some one to build along with you snaer810. I'm Currently Building a Cessna 185 Converting it to Elc as well.. I had that same motor in Mind but seems to be hard to find one and HobbyPartz wont answer when they are getting more in. I have a PC21 here in the shop that has been converted. it has a CCHV80 in it and flys on 2 5s 4500 MAH Lipos. Im not the one that built the plane. It was here when i started working here. but I can tell you it MOVES! Hope you both enjoy Building your ESM Products.

Tim