HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:17 AM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
Walkera Genius CP vs NE Solo Pro 100D

Folks,
I have to say that The Genius CP far superior to the NE Solo Pro100D. I bought the Genius CP about 2 months ago from XHeli for $128 RTF (with Devo 7) and had trouble at first. But then once I fine tuned it a little bit with some help from the forums, I was able to to do basic stuff in the 6-Axis mode. Once I got the hang of that, I have switched to 3-axis mode for the real CP experience. I bought two more this month from Xheli for the same price, and they are sold out now.

All I had so far was a small crack in the canopy where it hooks on to the bottom of the landing skids and a nick on one of the blades. The replacements were cheap - about $15 for both the canopy and the replacement blades from WowHobbies. I have even built some paper canopies from the designs on the web and they to be more durable than the stock canopies. Didn't have an issue with the landing skid, so far (touch wood!!). And the spares are pretty easy to find from US distributors. But, it's a great little heli for a CP beginner like me.

But, the NE Solo Pro 100D was a different story. It's so hard to even get it off the ground. I am reasonably patient. Tried messing with various settings and stuff. But, every time I flew it I broke something. The exposed on the board servos are a real pain and the durability and quality of the Solo Pro is questionable at best. I guess for $80, that's what you get. But, you'll find that you are spending more time fixing something or the other, instead of flying the heli.

I would really recommend the Genius CP. I would like to get a Mini CP, but will wait for a little bit to see if the prices come down.

I have the Walkera QR ladybird and it's a cool real micro-quad and I can use the Devo-7 with that too.

However, I found that, with the Solo Pro, the J6 that comes in one box won't bind the Solo Pro that came in another box (I had bought two of the Solo Pros, btw.).

The $128 that I paid for the Genius is well worth it. At least I spend most of my time flying and getting better and learning new things every day.
gkrangan is offline Find More Posts by gkrangan
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Nov 2012
25 Posts
which DEVO for MCP?

Hello all,
I am new here… I am thinking of buying the Mini CP and have read through many of the posts. What an unbelievable wealth of info! Thank you to all who take the trouble and time to post!

Anyway, my question concerns the DEVOs. Helipal sells the MCP with DEVO 6s, 8s, 10, 7, or 7e ……. Too many options! I’d like to stay down in cost but I still want to buy a DEVO I can use later in other Walkera helis once I advance to larger CPs. Can anybody give me a pointer as to what the best option is, or what the differences are (apart from number of channels, and I am not sure what the extra channels are even used for…)

Cheers from Australia
torsten01 is offline Find More Posts by torsten01
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:59 AM
Heliboy
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Sep 2012
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torsten01 View Post
Hello all,
I am new here… I am thinking of buying the Mini CP and have read through many of the posts. What an unbelievable wealth of info! Thank you to all who take the trouble and time to post!

Anyway, my question concerns the DEVOs. Helipal sells the MCP with DEVO 6s, 8s, 10, 7, or 7e ……. Too many options! I’d like to stay down in cost but I still want to buy a DEVO I can use later in other Walkera helis once I advance to larger CPs. Can anybody give me a pointer as to what the best option is, or what the differences are (apart from number of channels, and I am not sure what the extra channels are even used for…)

Cheers from Australia
Hello from Singapore =)

I recently got myself a Mini CP with Devo 10 and I must say that i am very satisfied with it. The Devo 8s seems to be the most popular due to the nice design, big touch screen and and custom firmware already released for it. Devo 6s is very similar but a little smaller i think, and has only 6 channels instead of 8. However some people have commented that the screens can be hard to read in sunlight and their RTF sets cost more than the Devo 10 RTF sets.

So far the 6/6s and 8/8s have the deviation custom firmware and the 10's is close to completion. Extra channels are used for any other controls than the usual 6, e.g. lights or camera control for camera mounted multirotors.

I don't claim to be an expert as I have not started for all that long either but just some info.

If i'm mistaken please do correct me too.
redtwiilight is offline Find More Posts by redtwiilight
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:41 PM
V911 F45 Super CP
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtwiilight View Post
Hello from Singapore =)

I recently got myself a Mini CP with Devo 10 and I must say that i am very satisfied with it. The Devo 8s seems to be the most popular due to the nice design, big touch screen and and custom firmware already released for it. Devo 6s is very similar but a little smaller i think, and has only 6 channels instead of 8. However some people have commented that the screens can be hard to read in sunlight and their RTF sets cost more than the Devo 10 RTF sets.

So far the 6/6s and 8/8s have the deviation custom firmware and the 10's is close to completion. Extra channels are used for any other controls than the usual 6, e.g. lights or camera control for camera mounted multirotors.

I don't claim to be an expert as I have not started for all that long either but just some info.

If i'm mistaken please do correct me too.
The Devo 7 is programmable, and I believe 7 channels. I've seen a lot of reports that it is somewhat difficult to program though. It appears that the 7E may address this and be a bit easier to use.

I haven't used any myself(I'm shopping to), so anyone who has better knowledge of these is more than welcome to add/correct something.
Mitch332 is offline Find More Posts by Mitch332
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:36 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,101 Posts
I have the devo7 and have my Genus, two mulitcopters, and one scale 450 programmed on it. It is fully programmable. The 6-8 just have the touch screen, color, and now telemetry. The new 7 I think is adding the tele and a larger screen, but I have always seen that as a gimmick that after a year or two never gets used and at most is a distraction. Yes cool to look at and show of, but not very practical.
The programming of the 7 is confusing and even I have to remind myself just how to navigate it. This being said I use a futaba 7c for my other helis. That has a really small screen and no extras, but is 100% locked in and I never ever have a brown out or rebind or restart. lol! but it don't vibrate if I leave a switch wrong. It just beeps at me.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtwiilight View Post
Hello from Singapore =)

The devo 10 has custom firmware out for it now as well.
quikster is offline Find More Posts by quikster
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:37 AM
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Aug 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
Would be cool if you could just drop this in the futaba http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...ducts_id=11530
Kinda off topic but anyone know why there's no devo 10 to 10s conversion??
Or why no 10s at all? I do love my 10 but the "s" models released within a week after i got it, impulse buyers remorse for me lol.
I got saddled with a devo10 on my first heli purchase from wow bundled with my 120d02s v1. (Which I am yet to get to fly more than 1min without some sort of mechanical failure lol)

But back to the original topic, I have both the genius v1 and mini and they are both amazing, only issue I have is with the mini and I think it's something with the brushless mod but after the first 10 flights or so my batteries die within seconds after spool up but oddly if I back off the throttle it half ass comes back to life for just under a minute then back to nearly dead again with a pretty hot motor but a ice cold esc. I'm sure it's something already addressed and simple to fix but I've been too busy with my 600 to care for now I would like to check out the mcpx though and have been thinking about one just because my LHS only carries eflite.... No align or walkera without waiting for shipping....and I hate to wait lol
Lucerro is offline Find More Posts by Lucerro
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:49 AM
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Aug 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Udonsushi View Post
hi guys, im thinking in buying the mini cp, im new in this and im trying to find a video in a normal flight without 3d flights, i want to know how much stable it is and to watch it suspended in the air, could any mini cp owner post a video please? thanks to everyone
No vid just my 2 cents, the mini (from experience) and genius v2 or whatever the latest version is (from what I hear) are stable enough that they can basically hold a hover hands off, or at least the closest I've had to a true hands off hover on a CP heli (even better with the 6axis mode enabled)
Lucerro is offline Find More Posts by Lucerro
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:07 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,101 Posts
Don't know how much better they have gotten, but my Genus CP never flew in 6axis (would go hard left). and never flew hands off. I did all the tricks to the board and everything. It really didn't effect me that much because I already flew helicopters.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:49 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Don't know how much better they have gotten, but my Genus CP never flew in 6axis (would go hard left). and never flew hands off. I did all the tricks to the board and everything. It really didn't effect me that much because I already flew helicopters.
The 6 axis gyro on the Genius V2 is completely different to that on the V1. For a start, it is not selectable between 3 axis and 6 axis anymore. It is in 6 axis all the time but the effect of the accelerometers is so much less that you can fly 3D with it.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:26 PM
v922, mini, genius,mcp, v450D0
United States, MN, Le Sueur
Joined Nov 2012
1,148 Posts
Hey I can't find a thread that fits my question so I am going to ask here.
I posted a couple weeks ago about my genius flipping nose over just as it was about to lift off. It started this right after a frame swap due to broken skids. I have just now spent a little time looking at it and here is what I see.
With the throttle hold on, the swash is level and stays level from 0-100% throttle movement. With no throttle hold it starts level, then around 50% the two rear servos continue to move with more stick but the front(I think that's the pitch servo) slows way down or stops. This causes the servo to tip sharply downward and hence the flip. Put throttle hold back on and swash stays level throughout the length of up/down travel.
Does anybody have an idea of what I need to do? I sure need some help here.
jack herr is offline Find More Posts by jack herr
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:11 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,101 Posts
Sounds like you stripped your front servo!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:34 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,148 Posts
I don't think that's it. The servo moves very smoothly when it has no power and it works perfect with throttle hold on, would it do that if it was striped? I would think if it was indeed bad it wouldn't work at all, or am I wrong
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:37 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,101 Posts
It depends. when mine stripped I didn't know. It depends on which gear stripped. Mine worked fine until I would try to do a flip or fly inverted. At that point it would go nuts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:47 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,148 Posts
I guess it's possible. I don't know how I would have striped it while swapping the frame out but with these little helis anything can go wrong and usually does for me. I am really starting to hate servos, I have had to replace 3 on my two minis and the genius came with a bad servo when I bought it. It seems they strip if you look at them wrong.