Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:49 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,132 Posts
Helipal has just uploaded a video comparing the Mini CP with MCPx. It seems they have done a demolition job against the MCPx. Critically, they are comparing the price of a MCPx with a DX8 transmitter against a Mini CP with Devo 8s transmitter i.e. $529.9 vs $329.9

HeliPal.com - Walkera Mini CP vs Blade mCP X Review (5 min 38 sec)
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:00 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,812 Posts
With the two radios I think they tried to make the TX performance the same. If they would of tested with the mCP and 4x tx at $219 VS the miniCP and devo7 tx at $159 do you think that would of been better? The mini would of killed the mCP.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:10 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Helipal has just uploaded a video comparing the Mini CP with MCPx.
Worst comparison video ever. Curious why you keep linking to it?

You don't work for helipal do you?
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:07 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
Worst comparison video ever. Curious why you keep linking to it?

You don't work for helipal do you?
I don't work for Helipal but I do know the person who flew it and have net the owner of Helipal on a number of occasions. I have never bought anything from Helipal. The tester thought that Helipal was going to sell the MCPx, and as far as I know, they may still sell it. He actually thought the MCPx flew very well and it does show in that video. He did not use the DX8 transmitter but a high end JR transmitter.

I want to show this video just for discussion. I don't think it is a good idea in principle for vendors to make comparisons between products they don't sell.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:36 AM
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
130 Posts
Quote:
I dont have my miniCp home with me tonight but I am sure it has a tail FET that could be replaced
Where do you get one of the FET's?
Thanks
MX48 is offline Find More Posts by MX48
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:08 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
With the two radios I think they tried to make the TX performance the same. If they would of tested with the mCP and 4x tx at $219 VS the miniCP and devo7 tx at $159 do you think that would of been better? The mini would of killed the mCP.
Well having flown both complete setups and then some --- Devo8 mini, Devo12 mini - Dx6i, dx8 and the x9503 with mcpx I know the x9503 (north American version) is way smoother and has better programming and sticks compared to the devo8...so he had an edge with the mcpx/tx in that video. Nice sticks can make all the difference in flight. But you can clearly see even with a lesser tx the mini was still more stable.

But If he were to have a comparable radio such as the dx6-7 to the devo8 (devo8 is missing some switches and functions and sticks are not as nice so is more comparable to the spektrum 6-7 channel) It would have been a real landslide in way of the mini CP probably 5 stars to 2 stars.

If going from the rtf mcpx and the rtf devo7/miniCP it would have been another landslide as rtf doesnt offer squat for programming and the devo7 albeit a crappy screen has programming to rival a dx6i as well but only for $30 over a BNF unit.

On FET and such digikey is where i buy from
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:32 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,215 Posts
I'm curious about repair cost. I have an MCP-x and have crashed repeatedly with O cost to me. I have a walkera 4g6 and everytime you crash its at least a set of blades and usually a main shaft or a feathering shaft.

Would make a big difference to me. Anybody?

Thanks,

Bill
poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Last edited by poulsbobill; Mar 01, 2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: will the mini bind with the 2801?
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:50 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
I have crashed a lot with the mini and stripped a single servo gear. Since I loosened the collar I have not broke anything. The canopy will break if you dont reinforce where it sits on the LG. Also it will not bind with a 2801 only a devo series radio
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:25 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,812 Posts
All the devo tx have ball bearing sticks. They seem smoother than my Futaba. As for switches I think the devo 8 uses the touch screen for some built in mixes.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:14 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
All ball bearings are not created equal as the devo8 is not as smooth as the dx8 or the 9503. Now the devo12 is pretty close to the x9503 feel but still has an ever-so-slight ratchet feeling in the throttle.

The devo8 lacks toggles and toggle positions compared to a dx8 and is why it is more simlar to a dx6-7 as functionality to them is much more similar. The dx8 has almost all 3 position toggles on it for more uses on the fly. The dx8 and above have fully progamable toggles as well whereas the devo8 doesn't and you cant switch a 3 position toggle switch to a two toggle such as with flight mode and THold via software swap.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Mar 01, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:27 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Regarding durability, IMO the mini cp needs the servo saver mod unless you're at indoorheli's skill level. Loosening the collar can help take the strain off the servos, but not like the saver mod.

Bottom Line: The mini cp can be as durable as the mcpx, but requires some modding (unless you're an expert pilot).

my 2 anyway
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:34 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,132 Posts
I am thinking of getting a Mini CP but am a bit worried about the feed backs on the Devo 8. I wonder how does the screen brightness of the Devo 8 compares to the Devo 6 and Devo 12? Also, what is the effective flight time for the MIni CPs. My vendor claims a fight time of up to 4 minutes but he is not using a 100% flat throttle curve.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:43 PM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Quote:
I am thinking of getting a Mini CP but am a bit worried about the feed backs on the Devo 8. I wonder how does the screen brightness of the Devo 8 compares to the Devo 6 and Devo 12? Also, what is the effective flight time for the MIni CPs. My vendor claims a fight time of up to 4 minutes but he is not using a 100% flat throttle curve.
Hi zadaw. First off, you want the Devo 8s, not the 8.

I'm sure they fixed problems without telling us...not just upgrading the radio module to the telemetry module.

If you have a chance at all I would suggest handling it first (hobby shop, field, etc.). Some people rave about it, but I have also seen complaints: 1) Screen difficult to see outside 2) No timer mapping to throttle input 3) Battery can fall out of the battery cage.

Flight time on stock mini with stock battery is poop...about 2m30s for me. However, I like the way it flies so I don't care much. I also get longer run times (~3m30s) with the fullriver 350mah 25C batteries (hard to find, see my blog).

I was running a c05 but bent the shaft. Currently flying stock until more motors arrive (bl inrunners I'm going to test).

p.s. I have a devo 6 and have a 6s on the way. Plan to use the 6 as a backup. I prefer the smaller form factor and I like the switch layout.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:42 AM
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
130 Posts
Also if you use the GCP main motor in the Mini the flight time almost doubles. Of course the motor is an extra expense.

As far as the main gear I have used both the Mini and the GCP and the change in time is only slight. I like the robustness of the Mini gear better.

Moto
MX48 is offline Find More Posts by MX48
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:33 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,219 Posts
Quote:
I wish Walkera make a 2.4 module. This way we can use our existing Tx and Walkera sells more helicopters come on Walkera is a win win for all
MartinL is offline Find More Posts by MartinL