SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:42 AM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
Quad New New New Newbie

I just recently stumbled across RC Quads from a youtube video and was immediately intrigued. I have never owned an RC and know nothing about quads.

I would like to maybe put one together but will it be possible for somebody that has zero knowlege to do this?

Where the heck does one start?

I live in a somewhat of a major metropolitan area so what are the laws for flying these things? Is there a restriction on altitude, etc?

From what I've seen, just on here, there is a ton of information. So it's hard to weed through it all. I think that I would want one that would have a GoPro camera attached and some sweet led's.
STLCOP is offline Find More Posts by STLCOP
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:02 AM
Quad lover.
Joined Dec 2011
853 Posts
Yes it is possible, I have just done it.
First thing is decide on the size, make the frame then choose what flight controller you want. You should really fly in uncrowded areas, parks are fine as long as not many people are around.
chaosdestro0 is offline Find More Posts by chaosdestro0
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:08 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,422 Posts
You might want to look into the Blade mQX. Its a small quad and you can buy it as a ready to fly out of the box for about 160. Its a good trainer quad and especially if you have never flown anything R/C.

Check out the mQX thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563931
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:38 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
I second the mQX recco... great first quad. It's cheap, durable, comes out of the box ready to fly, and most importantly, flies great. Perfect for the stated requirements.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:51 PM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions but was thinking a little bigger and "badder"

So let's see.........I would need

1) Remote Control
2) 4 Electronic Speed Controllers
3) Frame
4) 4 Motors
5) 4 Props
6) Battery

and ????

Thanks in advance
STLCOP is offline Find More Posts by STLCOP
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCOP View Post
Thanks for the suggestions but was thinking a little bigger and "badder"

So let's see.........I would need

1) Remote Control
2) 4 Electronic Speed Controllers
3) Frame
4) 4 Motors
5) 4 Props
6) Battery

and ????

Thanks in advance
Yep that would do it...you would need to add a flight controller in there too...so many to choose from too...you might wanna read through the different threads on Flight controllers and see what fits your needs and costs.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:03 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
999 Posts
+ Flight control board and charger. Soldering skills for most, connectors and some patience!! ohh and lots of fun along the way! Goodluckbuy.com has some ready made and kits with all you need for the quad, varous different reports on the quality and service of goodluckbuy but for their prices its a good start, I brought and x400 kit from them and it seems ok, not very impressed with the kk flight board though.
ripmax is offline Find More Posts by ripmax
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:04 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
Yep that would do it...you would need to add a flight controller in there too...so many to choose from too...you might wanna read through the different threads on Flight controllers and see what fits your needs and costs.
lol, u jumped in there while I was typing a reply!!
ripmax is offline Find More Posts by ripmax
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmax View Post
lol, u jumped in there while I was typing a reply!!
Haha...whoops...sorry dude!!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:08 PM
United States, CA, Pacific Grove
Joined Jan 2012
60 Posts
Also a newbie

As a newbie too, I spent a lot of time reading this forum. I ended up with the DJI naza kit f450. $460. Everything in one pachage, easy to build, great build threads out there and a lot of support. I am quite happy with mine and am learning to fly whenever I get the chance. You don't want to start out with all sorts of problems, it may turn you against quads. And yes, I just attached the gopro to it last week and have ordered the leds.
repodog is offline Find More Posts by repodog
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:18 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by repodog View Post
As a newbie too, I spent a lot of time reading this forum. I ended up with the DJI naza kit f450. $460. Everything in one pachage, easy to build, great build threads out there and a lot of support. I am quite happy with mine and am learning to fly whenever I get the chance. You don't want to start out with all sorts of problems, it may turn you against quads. And yes, I just attached the gopro to it last week and have ordered the leds.
+1
I think the Naza F450 is the best for a noob.
As far as ARF kits only a few manufacturers even make them.
Most you have to buy the FC,frame,motors,ESC's,props seperate.
I have built the
F330
F450x2
F550
They all fly sweet.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:33 PM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
506 Posts
Yeah, the Naza kit would be perfect. But really, it all depends on your budget. You could build a MultiWii based quad for a lot less than that, if you're on a tight budget. But MultiWii is harder to fly, and harder to tune before flight. I am also very new to flying these things, and I wish I had waited for the Naza.

I might also warn against buying only 4 props. LOL! Get many props, you will break them at first.
FullmoonCat is offline Find More Posts by FullmoonCat
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:45 PM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
506 Posts
Also, it might be worth considering to make two quads, especially if you are completely new to RC aircraft. They are harder to fly than you might imagine, even with fancy stabilization. I initially just got a 450 sized quad with the intent of strapping a camera to it, and figured I'd be good to do that in a fairly short amount of time. HAH! It's hard to even find an opportunity to fly it, with the wind and weather outside, time, etc.

So, I just built a microquad to practice with indoors. I was able to do this for about $70, because I just used the flight controller and receiver from my larger quad, and all the micro parts are very cheap. I can switch the FC and Rx back and forth as I please, and am getting a lot more flight time in now that I can safely fly during windy/rainy/snowy weather or at night. It's worth thinking about, anyway.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Feb 2012
28 Posts
No one's talking about the Walkera 400 - why?
lbartone is offline Find More Posts by lbartone
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:08 PM
Rank Amatuer
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Dec 2011
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbartone View Post
No one's talking about the Walkera 400 - why?
Don't you have to use their special controller? Plus they are pretty expensive for what you get.

EDIT: Never mind, they are reasonable. Not sure what I was thinking of.