Closed Thread
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:32 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,030 Posts
Discussion
Flyzone Albatros propeller

My Albatros propeller shaft is angled a bit down. I was unsuccessful in pulling it out of a dive earlier today and it hit the ground nose-first. Any suggestions on how to fix it? I don't know how to take this plane apart to get to the motor area.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:51 AM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
723 Posts
It's relatively easy to get it apart.

The fuselage halves are held together with double-faced tape. You can run a hobby knife down seam to separate them.

You must also detach the struts from the wings. The easiest way to do this is at the single point of contact on the bottom wing. Cut through the adhesive around the strut and pull it up. You don't want to cut through the wing so be careful!

Once both struts and the fuselage are free, you'll be able to get inside and see what's going on.

I built an Alabatros from parts and secured the fuselage with silicon adhesive. You can use that when you reassemble yours.

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:33 AM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,335 Posts
You may not want to "fix" it if it aint broke. It is supposed to have some down thrust.

More help / info here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236624
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:47 PM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Miller View Post
You may not want to "fix" it if it aint broke. It is supposed to have some down thrust.
I agree 100% Pete.

In his picture though, there seems to be a lot more space at the top of the spinner than at the bottom. That's not correct. I'd guess that the gearbox has either come loose or been pushed back.

If the gearbox is still secure and the spinner is not rubbing on the nose, it's OK. If not, at least he knows how to open it up!

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:08 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I third the above. the DVa can use all the downthrust it can get. If the gearbox is solid, just fliegen ist.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:59 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,030 Posts
Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses and have been reading several of your posts in the thread cited by Pete (I actually went through all 50+ pages yesterday).

The white propeller/nose cone had been rubbing against the bottom fuselage end but with gentle pushing I managed to get it to the point it is in the picture. Didn't dare do more than that and after all your advice I think I will leave it as it is after all. And as Don said, if I need to then at least now I know how to take it apart.

Appreciate all the help.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Closed Thread