Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:01 PM
Sometimes it work some don't
╔mirats arabes unis, Ras el Kha´mah, Ras Al-Khaimah
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Build Log
Scratchbuild YC-14 twin prop cargo plane

Hello guys,

Being a while since I post on the forum. Here is a new build I've started, it is the YC-14 twin prop cargo plane from Mickey's RC.

Plan was printed out and parts cutted yesterday. I decided to go for a ribbed wing instead of making a flat double layer wing as shown on the original build. This should provide even better lift and probably allow me to take off in less distance.

The build will be done in two tones, Black for the fuselage and tail, White for the wing, elevator and rudder control surface.
RCSquale is offline Find More Posts by RCSquale
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Update

Here is a little update on my build, I partially assembled the fuselage, Place my bbq skewers and 1 CF rod to stiffen my lower part wing.

Ailerons and rudder control surfaces are hinged.

Tonight I will continue and more pictures to come.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Ok some more update on this exciting build.
The ribs are glued on the bottom part of my wing, the airfoil part is done as well.
The ailerons were dismanteled as they will have some thickness to them as I will follow the end part of my ribs.

Prior to final assembly I need to install motors, ESC and ailerons servos.

Next I'll be busy with the flying tail and then the rest should fall in place pretty fast.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:35 PM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
An interesting build, Pascal, I will be curious to see how you hook up the motors for it. Not done a twin engine plane myself yet but it looks like fun. You might convince me to try one. Will you use counter rotating propellers? A twin would be good for AP photography leaving the nose free for a camera. Plus they look cool.

I love the PBY Catalina not to mention the Grumman Goose, and where I am a seaplane is perfect.

Good Luck.
Steve.
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Last edited by Cybernaught; Feb 27, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Yes Steve it will be counter rotating set up hooked up with a V-Tail mixer in order to perform turns through.

I'm explaining quickly, the motor will be mixed with rudder so once I will want to turn right for example, my rudder will turn right and the left motor will work leaving the right neutral.

The opposit when wanting to turn left. It worked out pretty good with the short Skyvan of my friend which is as you may know another twin cargo plane.

I'll provide complete detail of my electronic set up as I go along.

The nose of the plane will definitly hold my regular cam and if everything goes fine I may as well start FPV stuff... But not right now.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:50 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,473 Posts
Very awsome YC-14 build you have going on here RCSquale! Very cool!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Thanks Demondriver... keep on following buddy more to come soon.

Unfortunately I'm a bit tired tonight so I won't be able to do much tonight.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Well time is my worst ennemi at the moment so no building progress so far.
Here is the electronics I will be using for this twin.

2 motor 1000kva, Blue wonder type
2 propeller 8060 x 3
2 ESC 30A
1 Battery 2200 mAh, 3 Cell
Spektrum RX
4 servos Tower pro 9gr
2 Y cables

I will probably need to shave the propeller to reduce them in order to avoid extra load on the motors. Test will be required to see if it is needed.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:52 AM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Finally some progress!!

Well well well, I finally managed to get fews hours to continue this bird and I have done quite a bit on it. The tail was assembled and glued on the fuse.

The motors are mounted onto the wing, extension cables between motors and ESCs is soldered now, I choosed to solder those extension directly on the motors cables since I'm planning to keep these gear for Twin purpose only.

The ESC \s will be mounted in the fuse in order to avoid additional weight in the wing and also will allow me to replace a breakdown ESC with out having to redo another wing.

My ailerons servos will be mounted during the afternoon and I should be able to close my wing at last.

Next will be to install tail servos and closing of my fuse, then the big day will come soon... Maiden!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:57 AM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Motor ESC connection.

Here are few shots to show you what I have done with my extension cables.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:34 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,632 Posts
Hi, I'm hopin to build a small twin engine "seaduck" or conwing L-16, the plane from the Talespin cartoon so I'll be watching here tonsee how it's done.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:47 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,473 Posts
Look'in better & better RCSquale!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Welcome djdavies83
To demondriver thanks buddy!

Now here is the explanation of my electronics set up... I'm learning this stuff too since I have only build simple planes set up. Anyway with no further due here is how I did mine:

Now luckily I always have my buddy Skysailor around on the line providing me good guidance. So in order to have both motor working together a mixing through TX is necessary.

At the first place but it didn't work because I mistakenly set the mix : Throttle - Aux2 with rate 0% on +100% and Slave ON with offset 100%. Due to the fact that my RX is only a 6 channel, I don't have Aux2 and I switch it to throttle - Flap with rate still at 0% (mainly because I didn't know how to set it up ). Rate on 103% with the slave ON and Offset at 50%. That was working as both motor were starting in the same time but it wasn't set properly. ( see picture attached)

Tonight after a phone call received from buddy, I finally set this one correctly. Now here we have: Throttle - flap with a rate of 100% on 100% ( which you achieve by simply push throttle at max then the option allow you to imput a number in that slot. Then the slave one is set ON with Offset at 0%. That is properly set and to adjust final trim in flight I will simply need to adjust my "Hov Pit Flap lever" to change the curser position of the Slave combo in order to fine tune motor while taxiing or flying.( see picture attached)

Now this set up Throttle - Flap will make both motor work together, now I will change from Throttle - Flap to Throttle - Rudder and with that option I will be able to turn the plane using my motors. It means that when I will give right rudder, my right motor RPM will be less then left motor wich will result in having the left motor pulling the left side of the wing faster then the right side which will make the plane turn in flight or ease the taxiing. If I want to turn left the invert will apply.

I hope my explanation is clear.

I'm learning this stuff too since I have only build and flown simple plane so far and never really fooled around with mixing But it is very cool what we can do with a good TX, I'm only scratching the tip of the Iceberg here, so much more stuff we can do I'm sure!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
To djdavies83,

Are you planning on building a twin boom or single boom tail?
It is for sure a pretty cool plane to do, kindly pass me the link of your building thread as soon as you starting it, I will follow it with great interest!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
I'm pleased to say that my wing is finally assembled. Remaining is to install my ailerons control surfaces and pushrods.

The wing weight is 327 GR with out ESC,RX and ailerons servos Y cables as they will be placed in the fuselage and will count for the total flying weight.

Now onto a little cosmetic look of the wing before taping both side for extra stiffness.