HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by skyjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:31 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,137 Posts
Discussion
My SIG Rascal 110 Electric Conversion

You can find my SIG Rascal 110 electric conversion info at http://skyjet.webs.com/index.htm

If you have any questions or suggestions please post them here.
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Apr 2007
9 Posts
Rascal e-conversion

Hello ,
Thanks for the very usfull post.
can you also please post the electrical diagrame for the arming switch ?

Zvi Solomon
Zvi Solomon is offline Find More Posts by Zvi Solomon
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:30 PM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Flight times

Hi skyjet,

I was curious how long some of your flights have been with the sig 110 electric. Also if you could describe the type of flying that was done it would be very helpful to me.
Flyer1208 is offline Find More Posts by Flyer1208
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:54 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer1208 View Post
Hi skyjet,

I was curious how long some of your flights have been with the sig 110 electric. Also if you could describe the type of flying that was done it would be very helpful to me.
I have a timer set for 7 minutes, but the timer only counts down when I'm using throttle. When I'm at idle the timer is stopped. So in reality I'm probably getting 9 to 10 minutes. Also I'm very conservative with my batteries and only use 70% of the charge. I consider my flying mixed during a flight. This video will give you an idea of the type of flying I do. I think this video was made from 2 different flights.
New Rascal 110 with flaps, 12 cell Lipo conversion (17 min 39 sec)
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Thanks a lot for getting back to me so quickly. I am currently converting my sig 110 to electric and this information is a big help to me.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:04 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer1208 View Post
Thanks a lot for getting back to me so quickly. I am currently converting my sig 110 to electric and this information is a big help to me.
Do you go to SEFF? We had 4 electric Rascal 110s there last year.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:52 PM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
Do you go to SEFF? We had 4 electric Rascal 110s there last year.
I sadly did not, I would consider myself new to the whole RC plane world.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:47 AM
Joined Nov 2013
6 Posts
Rascal 110 Electric - powering

Skyjet -
I believe you have done a number of conversions.
Could you provide me with your recommended power setup?
How about with a Scorpion motor.
Thanks.
John E.
hdss250 is offline Find More Posts by hdss250
Old Nov 23, 2013, 06:59 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,137 Posts
Hey John,

I fly my Rascal on two 6 cell 5000mAh batteries in series for a 12 cell set up. 12 cells will give your more power than you will ever want. Some may say it is an overkill but I like it that way. I have logged a strait up climb to 2800' above the ground before I chicken out because all I can see is a dot. The reason I went with this set up was because I all ready had several 6 cell 5000mAh batteries.

My setup: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html currently in stock at the US warehouse.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ESC_Ver4_.html Currently out of stock at the global warehouse but you could use any HIGH VOLTAGE 100 or more speed controller.

I use these batteries:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html Currently in stock at the US warehouse.

APC 20 X 10 electric prop.

I also use a separate receiver battery to power my receiver.

Another great set up that I have seen uses a power 160 motor with two 5 cell 5000mAh batteries. I would also use a 100 amp or more high voltage speed controller and use the prop that is recommended by the motor manufacture.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions,

Scott
Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:17 PM
Joined Nov 2013
6 Posts
Excellent - I appreciate your advice.
Cheers!
John E.
Old Dec 05, 2013, 07:53 PM
Joined Nov 2013
6 Posts
Scott -
Can you provide the details on attaching the motor to the firewall?
Thanks.
John E.
Old Dec 05, 2013, 08:43 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,137 Posts
Hey John,

If you used this motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html these would be perfect: http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid . The 50mm and the 7mm would give you the 2 1/4" standoff you need to mount the motor. The motor is mounted the the "X" mount that came with the motor and the "X" mount is mounted to the standoffs. You could just use the 50mm standoffs and stack some washers to get the extra length you need, that's what I did but the 50mm's and 7mm's would make for a cleaner installation. I took the "X" mount before it was mounted on the motor and placed it on the firewall where the motor is supposed to be mounted and marked the holes where the stand offs will go. I did one hole at a time. I drilled one of the holes and temporally mounted the "X" mount to the firewall and then drilled the other holes through the "X" mount to make sure everything will line up. I think I had to drill the holes in the "X" mount a little bigger. Mount the cowl after you get the motor mounted to make sure you have the correct distance.

If you are using a different motor, the mounting is the same. You just need to get the distance from the firewall to the where the back of the prop will be to 6 inches.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Scott
Old Dec 05, 2013, 09:17 PM
Joined Nov 2013
6 Posts
Thanks again Scott.
I am using the Turnigy C6374-200 you recommended.
John E.
Old Dec 06, 2013, 10:25 AM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdss250 View Post
Thanks again Scott.
I am using the Turnigy C6374-200 you recommended.
John E.
Perfect! Just to confirm you have the 6374-192 motor. The picture of the motor in my blog is a different motor than what I use now.
Old Jan 02, 2014, 11:37 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,059 Posts
Scott-- I'm thinking of using the same set up as you for my 1/4 scale BUSA Fokker DVII. Are you using the collet or the bolt on prop boss in your system? This seems to be a long motor rather than a shorter fatter motor as most in this power class seem to be. I'm wondering if the bearings will last longer if I use a cage type mount and the collet prop adapter rather than the bolt on boss and x-mount. How many flights on yours?

Thanks,
Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303