HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:37 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
Cool
This is different, Battle of the Atlantic video with models

Turn your volume down. IMO they should have not dubbed in the audio that they did. Found this from the Submarine forum. Looks like you have American, Bristish and German surface warships with American and German submarines. And all kinds of RC aircraft. Neat idea. It drew a large crowd.

Battle of the ATLANTIC (6 min 49 sec)
ken_nj is online now Find More Posts by ken_nj
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
I hate to be critical, but what does a bunch of model ships in different scales circling around have to do with the Battle of the Atlantic? Iowa class bb?Not in the Atlantic, Did I see an Arleigh Burke destroyer?Definetly not in the Battle of the Atlantic unless there was some kind of time travel involved. Mitchell bomber, as far as I know, not in the Battle of the Atlantic. Toward the end the camera man gets bored and starts shooting pretty woman in the crowd. Im sorry, I ended up being critical.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:04 AM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
I was pointing out that this is different. Something that people, I suspect in Poland or other European country, put together. Going beyond your critique of this, the planes are nowhere near the scale size the mix of scales that the model ships are, or even the correct types. I suspect their intention was to entertain the public. What people are learning these days, they might not even know what ships they are looking at or the differences in scale. We as modelers are knowledgeable about naval vessels and can even point out in Hollywood movies the mistakes that the movie studio made in their big Hollywood productions that they spend countless hours and huge sums of money to produce. Would you not watch Tora, Tora, Tora because the studio used an Essex class carrier as a Japanese carrier in the production of the movie? Although there are a lot of inaccuracies, we as modelers need to show people what someone like themselves can do by lighting a spark within themselves to possibly get an interest in ship model building. I don't nearly see the interest in younger kids doing something that we do. If something like this can get them interested, than I say go for it. The whole event was just a show. How do you portray this in say 1/2 hour so you don't loose the public's interest. The BofA last 6 years and has many chapters. I would just call it a naval battle.
Last edited by ken_nj; Feb 27, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
Well said, I agree.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:22 PM
太刀風
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2003
1,103 Posts
Looked cool to me, hell Hollywood can not even get the ships right in a Pearl Harbor Movie, how do you expect the poor Polish to figure out US warhships?
Tachikaze is offline Find More Posts by Tachikaze
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,842 Posts
Some times you guys just like to gripe just to hear your hear your selves make noise. The hobby is shrinking due to people who enjoy the hobby either dieing off or being chased away by criticism from the modelers, supposedly in the know. I donít see anything stating that this film is an accurate reenactment, but a day out for the family on a nice summers day.

Lighten up you guys and enjoy the time and effort that went into making the video, just for the fun of it.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
Hey, if you think I need to lighten up, you ought to check out the model railroad forums. They make me look like a kindergarden teacher. I meant no harm, looks like it was a nice day to spend with the family.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:26 AM
GSMB Member
Joined Mar 2008
1,854 Posts
All is good. Anyone\everyone enjoy the video for what it's worth. I'm sure there are plenty of forums out there that are cut-throat. I try to stay with the marine\nautical\model forums. I have plenty of hobbies that keep me busy. No need to drift away towards trains, planes or whatever... although, I enjoy watching and seeing all that other stuff. And you can also learn from those other hobbies to apply towards boats.

Have not seen it recently but Predreadnut, nice Bismarck.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:40 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
Not wanting to get in the middle of this from a accuracy point of view, but just a coordination point of view. I think they did a great job of getting that many air and sea elements to all be in motion at one time. I know how hard it is to get six guys to be on the start line at the same time. And airplanes are only in the air a short time. Like Tachikaze said, Hollywood has a hard time doing it with millions of dollars.
In our model club we have had many discussions about putting on a 'display' and I always back off. As soon as you have a schedule to keep it becomes a job. We always just have open fun runs and let the skippers run what and when they want. Our club is small enough that only get a few conflicts.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave