HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Oct 2009
4 Posts
Discussion
Question about an "old" but unused Eflite LiPo

Almost 5 years ago I bought an Eflite LiPo, model EFLB1016(10-19-06). I assume the numbers in the parentheses are the date of manufacture; 2006 is about right. The specs are 11.1v 1200mAh 3-cell. I NEVER used this battery, and just came across it behind some junk on a shelf. By never used, I mean I never even charged it; it has no connectors on it. What troubles me is that Eflite doesn't even provide a balancing connector, so IF I charge it, I won't be able to balance it. I checked the open circuit potential and measured 9.55V, which is of course fairly low.

My question: Given that (a) this battery has been sitting around uncharge for 5 years, and (b) that it has no balancing connector, IS IT SAFE TO CHARGE? I'd welcome some informed advice, please.

Thanks in advance.

John
john conrad is offline Find More Posts by john conrad
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:12 PM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,331 Posts
Back when I first started using lipos, none had balancing connectors and they worked just fine. I added balance taps on (2) 3S1P 2000 packs in '06 and when I checked the individual cells, they were close enough not to need balancing.

Charge it outside and do some gentle discharges before trying it at its C rating. I don't think it will put out much, but it might be good for a low C application?

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is offline Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
It's not puffed right? before you do anyting though just tell us what charger you have,
Glenn.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:16 PM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Challenger, you are quick
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:57 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,891 Posts
I would personally discharge it and toss it. The fact that it is very old means that it'll offer mediocre performance at best. The fact that it does not have balance leads means you'll never know if it is in balance or about to burst into flames. The fact that high performance lipolys (with balance leads) are incredibly cheap means you're losing little by tossing it. You could, of course, add balance taps but this is more trouble than it's worth, at least in my estimation.

Do yourself a favor and discharge to 0 volts, cut off the connector, strip and twist the leads together, and discard.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:51 AM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
I second what Mark say's.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:18 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john conrad View Post
Almost 5 years ago I bought an Eflite LiPo, model EFLB1016(10-19-06). I assume the numbers in the parentheses are the date of manufacture; 2006 is about right. The specs are 11.1v 1200mAh 3-cell. I NEVER used this battery, and just came across it behind some junk on a shelf. By never used, I mean I never even charged it; it has no connectors on it. What troubles me is that Eflite doesn't even provide a balancing connector, so IF I charge it, I won't be able to balance it. I checked the open circuit potential and measured 9.55V, which is of course fairly low.

My question: Given that (a) this battery has been sitting around uncharge for 5 years, and (b) that it has no balancing connector, IS IT SAFE TO CHARGE? I'd welcome some informed advice, please.

Thanks in advance.

John
No one can tell if any battery is safe to charge from remote location. One thing is for sure, the state of charge for each cell should be checked before charging it. Chances are good that it is in good enough shape to use in certain apps. Another good indicator even before checking voltages is to check for puffyness.

I have lots of old batts that sat for years and this year I put them to good use in planes , but I'm sure they aren't as strong as they were when new. It is not good to make diag over the internet , but we can try with lots of details as to how to go about doing it.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:37 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
641 Posts
I'd put a meter on it to see if there's any voltage left in it.
I had a pack from 2006 that I never used. After finding it recently (much like yourself) I checked the Voltage and it was dead as fried chicken.
It's very probable that yours is too.
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:20 AM
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined Nov 2011
71 Posts
Batteries of this size are selling for $10, and they have the balance tap already installed...Is it worth the risk?

sts41
sts41 is offline Find More Posts by sts41