HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Dec 2010
11 Posts
Question
Full kit

Hi! I'm beginner with planes, but I've been flying nine egles helis for some time.

I'm looking for some RTF kit, which include a decent Rx and Tx. Do you know any interesting?

Thanks!!
MaGaRCan is offline Find More Posts by MaGaRCan
Last edited by MaGaRCan; Feb 27, 2012 at 03:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:11 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
873 Posts
If you are interested in micro and larger airplanes then you may like the selection at Horizon Hobby. Having learned how to fly on their Ember 2 and since progressed through numerous models to the Sbach 342 I highly recommend there products.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:30 AM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,333 Posts
Hobbyzone Champ
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:44 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
What is the difference between the Champ and the J-3 Cub? They seem very, very similar.
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:16 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
The Champ is a little larger and MUCH more stable. The J3 has a smaller motor and a weaker motor shaft that is prone to breakage. I highly suggest the Champ. It's what got me started again.
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:46 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
I have lot of epoxy, tapes on the champ and made it heavier than stock but it still fly, If you fly nine eagles heli. you may also want to try their sky 500.

Edmond
Edmond Y is online now Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:07 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryfrog View Post
What is the difference between the Champ and the J-3 Cub? They seem very, very similar.
The J-3 is ok and looks scale, but the Champ is one of the best flying small planes ever made.

Over 9 out of 10 people that have flown both, prefer the Champ.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The J-3 is ok and looks scale, but the Champ is one of the best flying small planes ever made.

Over 9 out of 10 people that have flown both, prefer the Champ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
The Champ is a little larger and MUCH more stable. The J3 has a smaller motor and a weaker motor shaft that is prone to breakage. I highly suggest the Champ. It's what got me started again.
Thanks, I've always looked at both pictures and stats of both of them online they seem very similar. I gave the Cub a slight nudge over the Champ because it looked a little nicer and IIRC the Champ only comes in RTF with a transmitter.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:39 AM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
IIRC the Champ only comes in RTF with a transmitter.
Which is what the original poster was asking for.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Miller View Post
Which is what the original poster was asking for.
Of course, I just meant that was why *I* gave it a slight nudge down in comparison to the Cub which you can get in BNF.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:47 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Of course, I just meant that was why *I* gave it a slight nudge down in comparison to the Cub which you can get in BNF.
Apparently the Champ is RTF at that price to hook new people into the hobby and the tx is pretty much a freeby. That is why it's not offered as a BNF. Most will start with it (good choice ) and buy more things to fly after that in BNF and perhaps upgrade their tx too. I started out a bit different and already had upgraded my tx so the one with my Champ is still zip-tied into the box. I could have saved money over-all if I had started with the Champ. I still fly it BTW. Seems no matter where you go from the Champ, you will still hang on to it and fly it, it really is that fun to fly.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Apparently the Champ is RTF at that price to hook new people into the hobby and the tx is pretty much a freeby. That is why it's not offered as a BNF. Most will start with it (good choice ) and buy more things to fly after that in BNF and perhaps upgrade their tx too. I started out a bit different and already had upgraded my tx so the one with my Champ is still zip-tied into the box. I could have saved money over-all if I had started with the Champ. I still fly it BTW. Seems no matter where you go from the Champ, you will still hang on to it and fly it, it really is that fun to fly.
That makes sense. And I just looked, the Champ RTF is the same price as the J-3 Cub BNF!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/champ-rtf-HBZ4900

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ub-bnf-PKZ3980
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:12 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,333 Posts
'Xactly. Same price, can bind to the Spectrum TX's, flies better, more durable, and has a backup TX just in case. What's not to love?