HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:20 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,318 Posts
Whoops!
What happens when you turn out of the channel way too soon!

Madasonville, LA.

You think they were saying &
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:24 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
They were towing the sailboat by its mast, not sure who's brighter the rescuer or the rescuee.
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:40 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,043 Posts
A gentle tug on the masthead will cause the boat to heel (less draft) and possibly get the keel out of the mud. But why not just stop, send the crew to the foredeck (also to lift the keel) and just back out? I would always try that first. Maybe they were motoring fast enough and when the keel went in the boat twisted around and dug itself a nice little hole.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:03 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
a few years ago there was a sailboat near me that got stuck under a bridge on a 4-6kt outgoing tide, it was quite a site. didnt stick around to see what they ended up doing to get it out.
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:17 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
El Dorado Hills, Calif
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
You drive a big old boat behind the sail boat creating a wave to rock the boat off, depending on the design of the boats bottom.(sailboat's that is)
jim
BOZINATOR is offline Find More Posts by BOZINATOR
Old Feb 27, 2012, 08:00 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,318 Posts
I was in a sailboat race years ago in Lake Ponchatrain when we had to avoid another boat and grounded hard. It was a 46 foot Beneteau and sitting on the keel in the mud. If we used a tow we would have gotten a time penalty so the Capitan got the largest guy on our crew (“rail meat”) sat him on the boom, swung it way out and the boat floated right off. I guess if someone on shore had taken pictures of us at the time and posted it here we’d look just as silly as these guys!
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:58 PM
NW NW Washington
Joined Aug 2007
724 Posts
What the Boston Whaler is doing, heeling the boat over with a line up the mast, is how we in the CGAux used to do it in Galveston Bay, pre-TowBoatUS and before lawyers took over the CG ungrounding policy. Heel her over until the gunnel is in the water by pulling sideways, break the suction of the mud, then have a second boat pull from the stern or bow (wherever the deeper water is). And we have also had a heavy crewman sit on the boom, like Rmay said. When they were aground near the Houston Ship Channel, we would also use a ship's wake to lift the grounded boat. Did hundreds of them over the years.

What frequently blew my mind is that in the middle of one of these evolutions, another stupid sailboat would come along and ground himself on the same reef, in plain sight of the ungrounding going on.
CGAux26 is offline Find More Posts by CGAux26
Closed Thread