HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:11 AM
'Merica!
n00b-E's Avatar
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
691 Posts
Discussion
Which Life to Save?

This thread is a spinoff from another.

The scenario: You're a paramedic and you roll up to an accident scene where there is a wounded mother and child, both unconscious. It's dark, and no reasonable determination can be made about their social status or background. Its within your power to save one, but to do so means the other will die. Which one do you save, and why?

Go.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Last edited by n00b-E; Feb 26, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:17 AM
Not THAT Ira
Real Ira's Avatar
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
I have rendered aid at such a scene and had an injured mother screaming "just help my baby, please just help my baby."
Of course that is what I did and if it were myself and one of my kids I would want the same.
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:20 AM
'Merica!
n00b-E's Avatar
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Ira View Post
I have rendered aid at such a scene and had an injured mother screaming "just help my baby, please just help my baby."
Of course that is what I did and if it were myself and one of my kids I would want the same.
Lets assume that mom is out cold, same answer? Why?
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:22 AM
'Merica!
n00b-E's Avatar
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
691 Posts
I would save the child. In my mind, the life of the child is potential not yet realized, and knowing nothing about what the mother has done or is capable of doing, I would rather err on the side of the child, thus giving them the chance to strive for greatness.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:32 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
42 Posts
Noob dude until i had to make that choice i don't be leave anyone could pre determine.
QQuestor is offline Find More Posts by QQuestor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:40 AM
'Merica!
n00b-E's Avatar
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQuestor View Post
Noob dude until i had to make that choice i don't be leave anyone could pre determine.
That's the idea of the conversation, to put yourself in that position, even if its only in your mind. There are no right or wrong answers, and I've watched people flip-flop multiple times during the course of the discussion.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:42 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
42 Posts
my friend i probably would die trying to save both , which probably cause the loss of both.
Sadly i can not make that choice till i Have to make it.
QQuestor is offline Find More Posts by QQuestor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:45 AM
'Merica!
n00b-E's Avatar
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQuestor View Post
my friend i probably would die trying to save both , which probably cause the loss of both.
Sadly i can not make that choice till i Have to make it.
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice". I understand.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:49 AM
Don't look at me like that....
62pilot's Avatar
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
It's simple , you save the life of the mother. She can always have another child, married or not. It is the standard of care nation wide. Thats assuming both are equal in potiential outcome. Otherwise you save the one most likely to survive. If you attempt to save the most critically injured, you may and often lose both. It's basic mass casualty triage.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:53 AM
'Merica!
n00b-E's Avatar
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot View Post
It's simple , you save the life of the mother. She can always have another child, married or not. It is the standard of care nation wide. Thats assuming both are equal in potiential outcome. Otherwise you save the one most likely to survive. If you attempt to save the most critically injured, you may and often lose both. It's basic mass casualty triage.
In the scenario, both have an equal chance at survival, but you only have time to render aid to and save one. This is an ethics question more than a medical one, and you seem comfortable in your decision.

Glad you made it.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:32 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Griffin's Avatar
Joined May 2004
2,643 Posts
Child
Women
Men
Pets
Drunk driver

In that order.
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:44 PM
Don't look at me like that....
62pilot's Avatar
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
Child
Women
Men
Pets
Drunk driver

In that order.
We all wish that was so. Usually the Drunk is in No Acute Distress and getting in our way.

The death of a child at any age is a horrible ordeal for the family to endure. But the best therapy is to " and this sounds terrible" replace the child with a new one. The greiving process allows for most to over come the loss and move on. A new crisp shiney baby can do just that.

A widowed father with a possibly life long disabled child is not wished upon anyone.

And in todays society , one must remember. A dead person can't sue you, but their family will.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:00 PM
Registered User
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b-E View Post
This thread is a spinoff from another.

The scenario: You're a paramedic and you roll up to an accident scene where there is a wounded mother and child, both unconscious. It's dark, and no reasonable determination can be made about their social status or background. Its within your power to save one, but to do so means the other will die. Which one do you save, and why?

Go.
The quote "social status or background" are both indicators of the subliminal message this silly thread is trying to make, as if those two issues would ever play a part in a life saving event. I guess for some it may, I just hope they never become paramedics.
Libelle201B is online now Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Last edited by Libelle201B; Feb 26, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:03 PM
'Merica!
n00b-E's Avatar
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B View Post
The quote "social status or background" are both indicators of the subliminal message this silly thread is trying to expose.
Feel free to not participate then if you feel that is the case. You won't be missed, I can assure you.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:10 PM
All under control, Grommit!
leccyflyer's Avatar
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,544 Posts
Save the mother, for the reasons outlined by 62pilot plus, for all you know, the mother could have three other children at home, or at school, who would lose their mother. I Victorian, and earlier, times, the survivability of infants was so fraught that the chief method of ensuring the survival of some of those offspring would have been to have a lot of children. That is less so today, in western society, but still has a basic validity.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joke This Could Save Your Life Someday... TimOBrien Humor 0 Aug 29, 2007 10:36 PM
Discussion The Life You Save Could Be Your Own alan_scott Life, The Universe, and Politics 1 Jun 06, 2006 06:20 AM
Discussion take a look at your field. Maybe save a life? J_R AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) 27 Feb 25, 2006 02:26 PM
How far would you go to save your life? Vonbaron Life, The Universe, and Politics 15 Feb 09, 2002 09:01 PM