Really nice, you are true craftsman!

Tuomas
tuootal is offline Find More Posts by tuootal
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:23 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
585 Posts
ARUP..this is an interesting build....Some very nice ideas and very good craftmanship. Will keep looking on....
mintie is offline Find More Posts by mintie
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:20 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,627 Posts
Thanks, again for looking Tuomas! Hi Mintie- welcome aboard! Don't get too many comments so I guess folks like it well enough. I have the skid about done. It needs to dry out before it can be attached to airframe. I did a little work on cockpit enclosure. Keel removed and floor opened up so pilot can fit. An instrument board fitted as well as a headrest. The instrument face will get a tow release knob, airpeed, vario and height gauges. The headrest will get some padding. Ridder and cables attached.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,627 Posts
Pretty day for photo op! Still tweaking skid. Just need wing gap cover, skid venturi tube, instrument panel and headrest for pilot that is getting carved.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:43 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,774 Posts
Pretty day is right! I had every intention of flying today until it got dark. How'd that happen so fast!

The plane is looking spectacular.

Dion
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:31 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,430 Posts
ARUP,

This is looking fantastic!!

Thayer
Thayer is online now Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,627 Posts
Thanks Dion and Thayer! Time sure has a way of waiting for Noman! There's a pun in there for you literature buffs! The skid is Dunn! Sorry (you know who,LOL!). Rubber bumpers were made from auto hose, cut, drilled, releived to fit fuse and trued on belt sander. Brass tube helped with insertion of 4-40 bolts. 2-56 'T' nuts put inside hoe bumpers so the skid can get attached. The 2-56 nylon bolts will break before the 4-40 ones in fuse... that's the plan, anyways! I don't think they'll break but what do I know!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,627 Posts
Time for instruments. Compass. Light bulb sacrificed for the magnifying lens it has. It measure 5mm dia. Brass rivet for a bezel. It was stretched using the shank of a tapered punch and hammer. It measures 9mm. Graphics from a magazine, stuffed inside glass and whole thing epoxied together. At least this thread won't go 'south'! Just a few more to go then time to carve a pilot.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:30 PM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
731 Posts
Very Nice ARUP!
Good approaches to "getting the job done". Looking forward to seeing it fly.
Asher Carmichael is offline Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,627 Posts
Hi Asher, yes, imagination is a good thing! More instruments. VSI, airspeed and altitude gauges compliment the compass. Proctor Enterprises bezels used for the rest. I need to figure out a slip indicator. Was thinking of heating and stretching capillary tube glass over a flame. Tow release knob from dowel and a paper clip is the wire.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:23 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,994 Posts
Hi MIke

Very nice indeed, have you had it in the air yet?

Sure like that color on your wood, goes perfect with the covering material.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:59 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2004
829 Posts
ARUP, this is truly an amazing build. Just like your Prufling, this is a masterpiece! Great work and thank you for sharing your talents with us, mere mortals!!!!
Thermaleer is offline Find More Posts by Thermaleer
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,627 Posts
Hi G-Don- thanks and I really appreciate your comments! No flights, yet. Still have to paint graphics and carve pilot. I try to pick the stain color to make the woodwork look somewhat aged. The polyurethane varnish on the fabric will yellow with time and develope a warm hue, too!
Hey Thermaleer- you can bow now you mere mortal! lol Thanks for the compliment, Man, I really really appreciate them. You are one of the few true 'airplane dudes' that knew about the true covering technique on my Prufling so I need to bow down to you!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,069 Posts
Michael, fabulous workmanship in every regard. I'm eyeing my Fafnir plans now...

I'm just not sure where you're going to mount the Spandau, but carry on...

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole