HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:49 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
Hi G Don- sounds like you will be busy very soon! 40 pieces per rib... wow!
I don't think my sailplane will be ready for the Elmirs Vintage Meet but I'm still plugging along.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
One more photo...
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
One wing panel finished! Just two flaps, two ailerons two elevators, one wing panel and one rudder left to cover.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:55 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,869 Posts
Hi Mike

Looking good now, with the camera light the covering has a neat pearl white look to it.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
More work on the Balestruccio done and pictures forthcoming!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:37 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,816 Posts
We thought you fell in some place and forgot about us! Good to hear your plodding along.....I know how that can be!
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
Hi SZD16... yeah.... much going on and tonight just got in from helping dig a hole for a pig roast!
The ply on the hatch is done. This was a tough fit due to the curve across the top. I made a card pattern first then traced it to the ply. Sand and dry fit, repeat as necessary! I used Weldwood contact cement and you can see it on the parts. Just coat each part and let dry. Touch parts together at a corner to start the alignment then stick them together. Don't get it wrong or they'll never come apart in one piece!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
More ply applied on the bye and bye. Work from top to bottom. Overhang on bottom gives next piece of ply under it a 'ledge' to butt against. Sand 'ledge' flush when done. Hope to have finished sheeting and gotten some varnish on it by this weekend.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
More... I am using Titebond brand contact cement but for some reason I keep saying I'm using Weldwood. I think they are similar. Lots of paper and card stock used as templates. Lots of measuring, cutting, tracing and sanding going on, here!
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
... and even more! The nose piece was finish sanded this morning before I went to work. The masking tape is the 'ablative'. When it starts to get cut by the sandpaper- STOP! The 1/64 ply will get messed up otherwise. Very carefully sand the block fair to the ply. I'll varnish it tomorrow. Here's what it looks like when a last application of stain put on to hide any 'white spots'. The 'white spots' happen when the stain gets sanded from the surface of the ply. That's another good reason to pre-stain everything!
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
Varnish on! Second coat tomorrow. Thanks to Nigel Tarvin of Tarvin Model Products for recommending a foam roller in lieu of a brush. The foam roller spreads the varnish quicker and if too much does get thru fabric the foam will re- absorb it so it doesn't pool inside wing. Great idea! Thanks, Bro!