HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2012, 03:32 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Mike

I have been thinking about 2 sandwitch fixtures that would bolt into the rib to keep the cap strip lined up, will be using a 3/8" balsa dowel for a L.E. so a bit more fussing with the cap strip fit there and need to have the strip lined up correct to get a tight fit.

Do you have a Larry Milo catalog from ' Precision Scale Model Engineering ' as he has a ton of hard to find stuff for builders like us. well worth a few bucks.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 11:22 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,697 Posts
Hi Don- maybe you could tack glue dowel to a fixture then put a 'flat' on it so you can glue extra wood to it. That would give you a little more 'purchase' to the nose end of the ribs and make it easier to cap strip.

The wings, ailerons and flaps are getting their ply applied. I use Titebond contact cement. Put the cement on both parts to be joined, let it dry and then stick 'em together. The sheets of paper allow positioning before sticking things down.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old May 19, 2012, 03:23 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Mike

My wood shop friend has a nc router so he can cut me some 3/32" balsa front rib clips that fit in the top & bottom rib bows, then the front will be cut to fit the 3/8" dowel about half way in.

The rib glueing fixture will have a 3/8" pin to locate the front 3/32" balsa clip, so the L.E. shoud be nice and straight.

Still working on a clean small T.E. with out being way too trick for what it needs.Have my mounting & strut brackets worked out so i'am about ready to draw up the wing half's for real.

I'am going to use some .020 small alum 90 dregree brackets with .020 brass nails to hold the ribs to the spars, just like the big guys did in the 30's. Larry Milo has some .020 by 3/32" brass nails that will be perfect for this.

later

G Don
Old May 26, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,697 Posts
Hi Don- apologies for not answering you question. I checked out the Larry Milo site. Lots of neat stuff. I may get a catalog in future but presently- 'I'm Good'! Thanks! Sounds like you are ready to start building- fun!
I finished cap stripping wings, ailerons and flaps. Each aileron has 104 parts- good grief! The wingtips are done and I am going to glass the bottom of them for strength. The 4 servo bays with anchor blocks and doors are finished. I know, I know... no photos no work. However, I've been working on this sailplane like a madman. The fuselage and tailfeathers need ply then the flight surfaces get Koverall. I need to make a skid and struts. I need to install radio gear. I need to make a transportation box. The odds of getting done for the JR are slim but... I'll keep plugging away.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:10 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Mike

The vintage plane i liked with the 4 posts to hold the wing is the ' Scud 2 ' with a diamond shaped fuselage and pointed at both ends.

How is you vintage bird coming along ?

G Don
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,697 Posts
Hi G Don- the Scud II is a neat sailplane! Built in 1932, it is still airworthy according to Martin Simons.
Here's more Balestruccio. The wing join at the center to a mount in fuse. I made a jig to fit over the mount to set incidence and drill wing rod pass through holes.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,697 Posts
... more. I missed getting this ready for the JR but hopefully it'll fly at Elmira the end of this month.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:08 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Mike

Saw your new plane in the JR pics, looking good in that redish brown color you have used.

I know how it can rain there as i was in Rantoul Il. just up the road i bit, in 63' i spent 3 mo at Chanute A.F.B. in A.F. Tech school left on July 3 back here to L.A. with dry air again.

That humidity was not to good for this Valley Boy, never saw rain that as the sky would turn black and rain like a flood and in 10 minutes the sun would be coming out.

G Don
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,697 Posts
Hi G Don- thanks for the compliment on the Balestruccio! Yeah, it rained a bit at the JR but a lot of flying still got done! It was fun getting reacquainted with everyone and meeting a few new folks.

Struts and fairing done. Jury strut anchor blocks in wing, now. Have to make the jury struts. The wing attachment at the center section is done- at least the epoxy is curing while I type.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:17 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Mike

Looks very nice all framed up in that neat shade of red, looking for a cockpit guess you will cut out that center stringer for the pilot's seat & dashboard.

Got a sample piece of Mahogany crotch veneer glued to some ply for color & clear coat testing, so i can order my 3/16" 5 ply for the fuse sides - wing struts and tail boom sticks.

Will give that Minwax clear gloss poly a shot and see how it works for color sanding & rubbing out.

G Don
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,697 Posts
Hi G Don- you are correct! I'll cut out that center spine so a pilot's head can be installed. I'm gonna skip the instrument panel- it can't be seen from the outside and I don't know what instruments would've been placed in it anyway. There are no photos or info about it. I got the jury struts done and just need to put the fairing on the underside of the strut/ jury strut area.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:30 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Mike

Looking good in the strut dept, why do they call them Jury struts?

My primary will have them in the parrallel style, for a bit more of a modern look than the cables to support the wing half's.

G Don
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,697 Posts
Hi G Don- I on't know why they are called 'jury' struts... maybe 'cause the jury is out whether they are really needed? lol

I finished the struts for good with their fairings and started the ply sheeting on fuse and tail feathers.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:00 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Mike

Looking good, how long before flight time.

Have my rib profile now in cad so now i can get my steaming & gluing fixtures going, so it won't be to long before it will be ' Rib City ' here in the shop.

About 40 pcs in each built up rib, so i can build these while drawing up the final plans.

Then i will have something to show in the build log

G Don