HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:43 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
Hi John- thanks! Thanks for looking in!
I had to make a couple more rib patterns for the tip so added balsa blanks to the outside of the micarta pattern and sanded them fair. They'll be off dimensionally because they are on the other side of the micarta pattern but 'no worries'. They gotta be shortened anyway! I started the wings. Photos with captions will explain the process. Hope it isn't too much.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:24 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,873 Posts
Hi Mike

How is your vintage bird coming along, no post's in a few days just wondering?

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
... starting the inner panels which are constant chord so easier to build. I made notches in the lite ply end ribs which serve as templates for the rest of the ribs as shown in photo.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:00 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,873 Posts
Hi Mike

Looking good in the wing dept., i was looking at the Itialan gliders and the one i really like has a diamond shaped fuse with 4 poles going out on the fuse side angle to hold the wing.

If my heart was not so fond of a primary i would have built one of those neat looking planes, maybe strech the fuse a tad but [ next build ] other than that it is a cool looking glider.

I'am just drawing my fuse prints now for the 1/5 scale primary with a 80" wing and 12" cord and about 44" long?, after 22 yrs away i'am sure looking forward to cutting some wood!!

Once i have my prints done i can start a build log here in scale and see what takes shape with this H.R.P. the ' Hot Rod Primary '

G Don
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
... more wing stuff: The shear webbing is reduced in thickness from 3/32" to 1/16" on outer panel. The inner panel has 3/32". Webbing on both sides of outer panel spar closest to root. Only one side near tips. The inner panel has the most bending moment between strut attachment and fuselage attachment nearer to the strut attachment. The outer panel has it's biggest moment arm at the root. That's why the inner panel end and outer panel root have 1/16" marine ply webbing and balsa vertical grain infill just past where 1/4" joiners will be inserted. Does this sound confusing 'cause it's making me confused!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:26 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,873 Posts
Hi Mike

The plane i was looking at had no struts, the wing was held by 4 posts 2 on esch side out on an angle of the fuse to hold the wing up above the fuse.

The fuse was square but turned 45 degrees so the corners were N.S. and E.W. so the 4 posts went out on a 45 degree angle up to the wing, just a very simple wing holding system.

I will look on Vincenzo's site and post the plane name.

G Don
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
My house smells like smoke! I cut the spar joiners and sanded them on their faces to allow for rearward spar sweep. Here're the results.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:27 AM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,873 Posts
Hi Mike

Recieved a dvd from the museum guys in Seattle and it has some detail shots of the tail feathers on the Cessna primary, that has helped me for laying out the hardware to hold the stab & rudder to the fuse.

Now i can start drawing the final set of plans and get to building this early time bird, just laying out where all the cables will go now.

Lots of thin wire and small rods in this baby, with little tiny screws and nuts for the hardware package along with a few custom made alum brackets.

After not building for 22 yrs i'am sure looking forward to making some alum chips & wood dust.

G Don
Old May 06, 2012, 05:55 PM
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,873 Posts
Hi Mike

I sure would like to start cutting some wood but need more drawings yet, laying out all the cables and pulleys.

Then i can make the final plans and know it will all got tgether ok, got a few sample cable thimbals for the .018 cable boy are they small not sure what to use yet for a correct turnbuckle as i need a male & female end also a proper clevis and pin with lock wire.

I'am really surprised the no one makes the whole cable hook up package for scale vintage airplanes?

Later

G Don
Old May 08, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
Hi Don, hope to see you start your build soon! Fittings from Proctor Enterprises and folks who supplied the marine side of the hobby would be good places to look for fittings. Sailplanes are a small segment of this hobby and 'scale' is even smaller. Put 'em together and you get even less. Kinda sounds like gov't at work!
A lot of work has transpired on the Balestruccio but it doesn't show, much. Shear webs, shear webs and more shear webs were installed. The inner and outer panels were joined with the proper 'gull' angle. Joiner rod and tubes fabricated and installed. Servo leads were made using ThunderboltRC.com's Ashlock connectors, pins and servo wire.
Old May 08, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
... more pics. The joiner rod and tube setup was a cinch! The holes were drilled for the tubes. The tubes were plunged into Vaseline and then the outside surfaces cleaned. Epoxy put in holes then tubes inserted. Next, the joiner rod was inserted and the wing roots were aligned while the epoxy cured. After the cure, previously applied masking tape was removed which captured the Vaseline as it oozed out by being displaced by the joiner rod. Then little blocks of wood were glued in place at ends of joiner box to keep the rod centered. Shear webs glued over these. The rear alignment pin will be glued to one wing.
The last pic shows some of the servo connectors being attached to the servo leads. I used Ashlock connectors obtained from ThunderboltRC.com. Give Jeff a call- he's very helpful!