HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:38 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,607 Posts
The fuse pinned to board and stab blocked and pinned level, square and normal to the fuse centerline to epoxy the joiner tubes in place. The next pic is of the stab and elevators hinged and temporarily fitted to fuse. Beauty!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,607 Posts
In order to fit the sailplane into a smaller storage box the stab and elevators need to be detachable. Square drives were fashioned from brass tubes soldered to the SIG horn after cutting ends with Dremel. Square tube receivers were let into the stab and epoxied in place with CF.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:30 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,607 Posts
Fin base fitted to fuse. Square hole cut to receive fwd fin 'spar'. Fuse pinned to board and fin and square taped together onto board while glue dries.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:19 AM
marc hecquet
Joined Apr 2011
168 Posts
Hi Arup,

Nice subject and good craftmanship. I also noticed this interesting sailplane in Pedrielli's book. I ' ll follow this topic.
best regards Marc (Laister Lawrence Tech IV builder on this forum )
marc hecquet is offline Find More Posts by marc hecquet
Last edited by marc hecquet; Mar 24, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,607 Posts
Thanks, Marc! I've been following your build. The red white and blue color scheme is really pretty, too! I love the 'gulls' and when Vincenzo P.'s book came out this one really caught my eye.
More build: CF epoxied under the ply at the tail end for strength. The rest of the fuse will have ply attached by contact cement. No worries about oozing adhesive spoiling the finish with that method!

The elevator pushrod, rudder pull-pull cables, their bellcrank and fairleads and servo rails were fabricated and installed. Now I can finish the upper and lower fuse formers.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,607 Posts
Upper rear formers and stringer added. Glue drying as I type. The straight edge keeps the stringer nice and true. It'll get finish sanding before covering with ply. The fwd hatch and cockpit cover (one unit) are next.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:27 AM
Earth-Europe-Finland-Espoo-Friisilš
Joined Sep 2007
660 Posts
I really love that stain colouring & craftsmanship!

Tuomas
tuootal is offline Find More Posts by tuootal
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,607 Posts
Hi Tuomas- thanks for the kind words.
Masking tape put onto the longerons for protection so the stringer could be sanded fair to the fuse. The masking tape was then removed, balsa infill glued to the top of the longerons then the stringer was masked with tape for protection so the infill could be sanded fair to the longerons and formers. This has to be done in stages like this otherwise the 'wavies' will appear in the stringer and longerons. The stain really aids with getting the sanding done proper. I love the joinery, too! I started on the hatch/ cockpit cover.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:42 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,607 Posts
Cockpit cover/ hatch nearly finished. It just needs a pin in front and magnet at rear to secure it to fuse. Once it is covered with 1/64" ply it'll get 'gutted' somewhat to fit a pilot head. The lower keel and formers finished.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,607 Posts
Strut attach bracket cut from annealed 1/32" sheet steel after proper holes drilled. It was then painted and bolted to spruce cross member. This assembly then got epoxied into fuse and bracket given balsa surround. Gussets epoxied to secure the assembly. Balsa infill glued between formers on bottom of longerons, sanded fair then stained.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,607 Posts
More stuff. The tail skid will be let into its mounting block. The most robust mounting method is to drill a hole at the proper skid angle into the block. The skid wire will be straight. Torque won't be an issue with this method. No bending wires. No soldering brackets and fiddling with wood screws or bolts. Simple and effective!
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:50 AM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,062 Posts
Michael,
Your project is looking great!! Excellent workmanship.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole