HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,637 Posts
Discussion
1/6 scale 1932 BS2 'Balestruccio'

Howdy! The Balestruccio is an Italian sailplane designed by Camillo Silva. The source for the 3-views et al are from the excellent book 'Italian Vintage Sailplanes' by Vincenzo Pedrielli with 3-views by Francesco Camastra. It is a 'bella donna'! It will have a span of just over 118" and length of 52". I'll fly it at the 10th annual JR Event in Monticello, IL. The fuse is open structure with a band of ply around the fuselage as wide as leading edge of wing to spar depth. There is ply on the bottom foward section (?) of fuse.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:06 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,998 Posts
Hi Mike

I'am tuned in too for your cool looking vintage sailplane build log.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,637 Posts
Thanks for looking in Granada Don! Here is the basic fuselage box completed. It just needs the nose block and wing, struts, skid, stabilize and fin attachment points along with upper and lower 'keels'.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,637 Posts
Thanks to Martin Simons I was able to communicate with the author of the 'Italian Vintage Sailplanes' book, Vincenzo Pedrielli. He states that most likely the Balestruccio was covered with plywood. That is good news for me 'cause it'll be stronger and, in my eyes, prettier! It'll make hatch building a whole lot easier, too!
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:15 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,637 Posts
Now that I am going to skin the fuse with 1/64" ply instead of fabric a lot of strength issues and questions have evaporated away! Here is the pylon to anchor wings to fuselage. The root ribs will get clearanced to fit around it and flush with each other. The wing rod holes will get drilled later. I'll use a wing retainer purchased from Iflytailies.com in lieu of hooks and rubber bands.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,637 Posts
Stab mount plates measured and drilled for SIG elevator horn. Clearance was an issue at tailpost so I heated one end and bent it then heated the other to match. Plenty of throw and plenty of room now. Pushrod fabricated, too. Once stab mounted then carbon fibre will be epoxied in place to tie the stab plates to fuselage longerons. The 1/64" ply will go over that.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:59 AM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
731 Posts
ARUP,
Neat subject. What wood are you using for the fuselage structure or did I miss that?
Asher Carmichael is offline Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,637 Posts
Hi AC- it's balsa that has been stained with water based H. Behlens stain.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:08 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,998 Posts
Hi ARUP

I was thinking about pre staining my wood for the primary glider, and the wood store man told me that the wood would not glue good because the stain blocks the glue from getting into the grain good enough for a strong glue joint.

It sure looks like your method is working just fine, i'am kinda locked in to Titebond wood glue.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,637 Posts
Hi Granada Don- if you use oil based stain then the guy at the wood store is correct. If you use lacquer or water based stain you will have no problem at all. I like the water based stains. Just 'sop' your wood with stain and let it dry before glue the part. After sanding you can restain. You can stain after building but the wood might look like it has 'the pox'! Ask me how I know! I use pretty much Titebond type yellow wood glue and Amroid or DUCO cement with 30' epoxy for high stress areas. I stick 1/64" ply on stuff with contact cement. I have heard of folks using the Gorilla glue that you apply, wipe off then mist with water before sticking parts together. I know the contact cement method is pretty tough! You'll tear wood apart before joint fails. Joints will come apart with high heat, though, so don't leave model inside of hot vehicle or hot enclosed area. You can ask me how I know about that one, too!
Last edited by ARUP; Mar 09, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,637 Posts
IThe wing and stab incidences had to be adjusted from those shown on 3-view. Here are some jigs to be used for set up.
The stab is built in the sheet core method. I tried built up like Comet or Guillows kits but they were too flimsy!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,637 Posts
Fin/ rudder construction similar to stab/ elevator. In photo a small pile of duplicate parts will be glued onto other side. A few ribs need to be added in 'balance' portion of rudder. Once all sanded the ply skins and fabric can go in place. Wings next when this done.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,637 Posts
Fin/ rudder finished as much as possible. Rudder gets separated from fin after fin anchored to fuse.