Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:46 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
843 Posts
Question
DC Brushed Motors In Series.

I have seen in several places that if you have two dc brushed motors driving the same shaft that they should only be wired in series. Now I am wondering why that is. Does anybody know why? and can offer an explanation.
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:07 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,605 Posts
You might as well have only one motor on the shaft, 2 motors in series will be half the power . Each motor is receiving half the supplied voltage, so only half the amps so each motor is putting out 1/4 of the power it could if run as a single motor and the RPM is reduced by half as well. Where did you see this

I run 2 motors in parallel on a shaft without issue, it could only be a problem if the motors were wildly mismatched, the more powerful one would drive the second one wasting power.

Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Last edited by nick_75au; Feb 25, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:22 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,932 Posts
If you wire two motors in series the voltage will divide for each. So maybe the only reason is that you are using low voltage motors? It isn't the best way to do things, but it is possible. The two motors must be the same.
I used a pair of motors coupled to a single shaft on my Corvette. The two big reasons were I had these two double ended motors, plus the Corvette's shaft is very low in the hull, so it was that or some kind of offset coupler/belt/gear. But those motors are wired in parallel (6 volt motors and 6 volt battery).

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave