Closed Thread
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:13 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts
Discussion
ITG3200 Gyro - A basic hard wired gyro only multicopter

Finally figured out how to hard wire a ITG3200 gyro...

-Tim
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by troynh; Feb 27, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Apr 2009
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh View Post
Finally figured out how to hard wire a ITG3200 gyro...

-Tim
Similarly.....
Havn't flown this yet but it works on the bench with the GUI. The 6DOF breakout has 4.7K pull-up resistors on board connected to 3.3v. I enabled the Arduino internal pull-ups too in the software. Just need to add an RX and connect it up to a TCopter for flight tests. Weather not cooperating.
Chuck
EnigmaSoar is offline Find More Posts by EnigmaSoar
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:56 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts
Well done Chuck!

I may need your help with the pull-up resistors as I'm getting DEBUG2 errors. (The gyro is responding as it should in the GUI but the DEBUG2 counter is flying away...) http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=986

-Tim
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Ghetto Tank
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:26 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,035 Posts
Someone remind me why this is in the 'Aerial Photography' section
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:59 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
Someone remind me why this is in the 'Aerial Photography' section
Because it is part of building a multicopter.

Multicopters make an exceedingly good platform with which to do aerial photography.

Because you need some sort of vehicle to carry a camera aloft then you will find posts on suitable vehicles.

The control boards, that enable the multicopters to fly, commonly utilise a Wii Motion+ circuit board. The Wii Motion+ is quickly becoming unavailable. Tim's post shows how a different gyro board can be wired up and this will prove of interest to others.

Multicopters carry cameras aloft, cameras that are used for aerial photography. Multicopters are very popular in the AP world and are made by many people.
It's all very relevant to AP.

There you go... as a certain meerkat would say "simples".
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Last edited by sparklet; Feb 26, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:00 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,934 Posts
Well done Tim.
Glad you got it sorted. It's just a case of getting your head around it then it suddenly becomes obvious
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:32 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
Because it is part of building a multicopter.

Multicopters make an exceedingly good platform with which to do aerial photography.

Because you need some sort of vehicle to carry a camera aloft then you will find posts on suitable vehicles.

The control boards, that enable the multicopters to fly, commonly utilise a Wii Motion+ circuit board. The Wii Motion+ is quickly becoming unavailable. Tim's post shows how a different gyro board can be wired up and this will prove of interest to others.

Multicopters carry cameras aloft, cameras that are used for aerial photography. Multicopters are very popular in the AP world and are made by many people.
It's all very relevant to AP.

There you go... as a certain meerkat would say "simples".
Lots of pics/videos in this section are quite clearly shot from multicopters so I'm pretty sure that *most* people already know their relevance to AP.

Sorry sparklet, but he/you will get far better advice by posting this in the MULTICOPTER FORUM

Oh yes, thanks for the lecture on multicopters, you quite clearly havn't even bothered looking in the relevant forum have you ...

And lastly, here's a pertinent thread from that forum
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:34 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
Lots of pics/videos in this section are quite clearly shot from multicopters so I'm pretty sure that *most* people already know their relevance to AP.

Sorry sparklet, but he/you will get far better advice by posting this in the MULTICOPTER FORUM

Oh yes, thanks for the lecture on multicopters, you quite clearly havn't even bothered looking in the relevant forum have you ...

And lastly, here's a pertinent thread from that forum
You obviously needed a "lecture" to displace your apparent ignorance.
The ignorance was adequately displayed by your post. The content of which gave the impression that you didn't understand Tim's post and the reason for it.
I didn't intend a "lecture" - rather some guidance for what appeared to be a "newbie" who hadn't understood the reason why that post appeared. If your not a newbie then there is no excuse for your post.

Tim and Bob (signguy) were right at the start of the interest in mutlicopters on this forum. It was Bob's design for a tricopter that introduced a lot of the people on here to the idea of multicopters and building them. Tim is a very enthusiastic builder and AP'er who has helped many others.

Tim, Bob and I all frequent the "correct" forum as you would see from our posts on there.

Tim's intention was not to seek advice here but to offer his own method of utilising a gyro board that will become of interest to those who can no longer get a WiiMotion +. I am sorry if Tim's post bored or confounded you, but it is of interest to many.

Is there anything else we need to explain to you..... ?
Perhaps we should seek your approval on subject matter before posting new threads ?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:05 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts

-Tim
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Ghetto Tank
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:11 PM
Cumbria in the U.K