HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:46 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
Gee Chris, you complicated things royally. All that was required was to glue a couple ribs, a spar, leading and trailing stock and a couple of slab fins together. Just because you wanted a little control.

Chris
Too right Chris! I find that the time and thought given to modifying a vintage F/F model for radio often exceeds the time needed to build the airframe. I have to admit there is a point in most builds where I find myself wishing I could just build the thing as designed and fly it free-flight. But then reality takes over and I have to recognise that, in my circumstances, that would probably mean either not flying it at all or only once, and then admiring it as it hung up there in a tree. So the pay off for the extra work comes when you can go out and fly the model in any reasonable conditions, have flights long enough and in close enough proximity so that you can really appreciate it in flight and return it to the hanger undamaged.

That tail end is a nice piece of structure.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:08 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
933 Posts
Looks like a work of art to me
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:50 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
With the tail pretty much wrapped up, I decided the wing pylon would be the next item to cross off.

The outlines for the upper mount were provided and easily copied from paper to balsa as you can see in the first picture.
I needed to set the correct angle so the wing would sit in the mount.
I haven't used this protractor angle finder tool very much but it is handy when needed. The angle reads 23 degrees.
Tilted the scroll saw table at 11.5 degrees and nipped off the ends.
A little cleaning with the sanding block and the two wing mount halves are glued together on top of the wing to ensure the correct angle.

Chris
Tomahawk is offline Find More Posts by Tomahawk
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:19 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
The plans called for the wing mount to be glued to the top of the fuselage using a key at the front to set the incidence. You then shim under the edges of the mount and plank over it.

Ah, no. I don't like this arrangement. I decided to try and tie the front key into the firewall so the load is transfered there and not on the weaker planking. I modified the incidence setting key and it now slots through the top of the fuselage and rests against the firewall. There is a cross piece on the firewall that you can't see that also supports the key.
I just didn't like all the weight just sitting on the planking.

The pictures show the modified key. The slot in the fuselage. How the key fits into the slot and the last picture shows the dry fitting of the parts.

Chris
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:37 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,003 Posts
With you all the way on that Chris. As designed I could easily see the wing departing and taking the pylon and a lump of planking with it! Something which I once had happen on a very fast open class F/F power model, with spectacular and highly damaging results!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:15 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
With you all the way on that Chris. As designed I could easily see the wing departing and taking the pylon and a lump of planking with it! Something which I once had happen on a very fast open class F/F power model, with spectacular and highly damaging results!
I could easily see that happening George with the elastic hooks attached to the mount.
The Falcon has the elastic hooks on the sides of the fuselage. I was more worried with the mount cracking through the planking. There is no support structure under the planking where the wing mount attaches to the fuselage.

Chris
Last edited by Tomahawk; Jul 21, 2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:44 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
933 Posts
Chris; Thats a good mod, I also did a mod to the pylon/ wing anchor with the Westener. wonder how many good models crashed from weakness in this area.
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:32 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinNZ View Post
Chris; Thats a good mod, I also did a mod to the pylon/ wing anchor with the Westener. wonder how many good models crashed from weakness in this area.
Hopefully with the modifications, mine won't be one of them.

Chris
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:34 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, the sides of the mount were shimmed with a couple pieces of 1/4" balsa stick. I didn't like this arrangement.

I decided to build a former extention for the wing mount that would sit on top of the #2 former of the fuselage.
I needed to find the curvature of the fuselage first. I laid a strip of sandpaper, grit side down on the fuselage to protect it from the shape gauge.
The picture shows the gauge in action.
I transfered the curve to a piece of box board and added the 23 degree angle for the wing mount. Adjusted the spacing size of the box board pattern by placing it under the actual mount till I was close to what I needed. Then I transfered the pattern to lite ply and cut it out.
Took some more filing and sanding to achieve the required size.
The next picture shows the truing up of the stab and wing mount with bubble levels. Everything is looking level now and I should be able to start gluing the pieces into place.

Chris
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:55 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
I have added some 1/4" balsa to the front key and former extension to increase the surface area for the wing mount to sit on. Spread out the load.
I will next add some balsa to the end of the wing mount so it will have more surface area. It is going to take some shaping to match it into the top of the fuselage.

Chris
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:59 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Wing mount is now glued to the pylon supports.
Unfortunately the pic only shows a bit of the balsa I added and shaped to the rear of the mount.

Chris
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:39 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Added the four other vertical 1/4" supports to the mount. Originally only 1/4" supports were suggested by the plans for the sides.
Took more time than I thought.
Just need to sand all the upright supports even with the top wing mount and then I can start planking the sides.

Chris
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:35 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
...Took more time than I thought.
Just need to sand all the upright supports even with the top wing mount and then I can start planking the sides.

Chris
I find that the small fiddly details are always the time thieves!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:31 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
I find that the small fiddly details are always the time thieves!
sparks
Time thieves is the next stage. I have started planking on the sides of the pylon. Trying to bevel and shape the ends of the planks so they blend into the natural curve of the fuselage without gaps has been very time consuming.

Chris
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:12 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
I have been planking along for a couple of nights. Not much to look at, but I will post a picture showing what I am up against. I am slowly creeping around the pylon with the balsa strips.

Chris