HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:00 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
That was a lot of work to elongate the pushrod holes.
Assemble the tail unit, tack with masking tape, check where the pushrod was rubbing, disassemble the tail, remove material and repeat over and over till the pushrod cleared all the tail ribs.
Then repeat the process for the other side.
Ack!!! Enough of that!!!

The rudders are now operational.

Chris
Tomahawk is online now Find More Posts by Tomahawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:59 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
I needed to add some balsa sub-stab ribs.
Originally the tail was fully covered and banded to the fuselage rear mount.
I will need to glue the tail to the fuselage to prevent any movement.
It needs to be a wood to wood glue joint as a covering to wood would depart company very shortly.
The covering will wrap around these ribs under the stab. If I planned it correctly, the covering should just tuck under the mount plate. The top of the stab is covered normally. These sub-ribs are not the full rib height. They are only as high as the spar.
You will also note the sub-stab ribs are thicker than the regular ribs because they will also have to take the sideways force of the covering during shrinking.

Yes, I had to drill and open more holes for those rudder pushrods!

Pic shows the sub ribs in place.

Chris
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:17 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
That was a lot of work to elongate the pushrod holes.
Assemble the tail unit, tack with masking tape, check where the pushrod was rubbing, disassemble the tail, remove material and repeat over and over till the pushrod cleared all the tail ribs.
Then repeat the process for the other side.
Ack!!! Enough of that!!!

The rudders are now operational.

Chris
"A lot of work" indeed, but it appears to be well worth it! With 20-20 hindsight, it looks as if it might be possible to drill all the ribs in a stack and then elongate the holes before assembly. Just a thought for future projects...

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:09 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor View Post
"A lot of work" indeed, but it appears to be well worth it! With 20-20 hindsight, it looks as if it might be possible to drill all the ribs in a stack and then elongate the holes before assembly. Just a thought for future projects...

Pete G.
Ha Ha. The next twin rudder will be easier since I now know what is needed for holes and their sizes. Being a one off and no reference sometimes you just have to build it the difficult way.
Personally the next twin rudder will be big enough that I will be able to bury the servos in the fin and make life easier!

Chris
Last edited by Tomahawk; Jun 19, 2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:20 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
When I was working on the rudder pushrods I added some triangle stock to the surface of the stab mounting plate. This was to ensure the stab was straight and wouldn't move.
I have now added more triangle stock to the mounting plate to maximize the gluing surface to the sides of the ribs. I really don't trust just gluing the bottom of the stab ribs to the plate.
The first pic shows the triangle stock I added.

The second blurry pic shows how little room I have for the bellcrank and pushrods to function in. The stab will be glued into place after covering.

Chris
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:14 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,902 Posts
This has been a really challenging subject for R/C conversion Chris, but you really are making a "proper job" of it.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:49 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Thanks George.

--------------------------------------

Building the access hatches.

I started with the hatch for the clevis and rudder horn. This hatch is located under the stab.
Since the hatch will only be removed once in a blue moon, I decided a screw to hold it was enough. Quick access hatches are not needed here.

The hatch is a piece of 3/32" lite ply. I used a Forstner bit to drill the large center hole.
A piece of plastic cut from a container was epoxied into an slot cut into the edge of the lite ply for a lip. The receiving slot is located in the hinge trailing balsa on the stab.
Added some triangles and strip balsa to line the inside of the hatch. A thicker piece of balsa was glued to the spar for the screw to bite into to keep the hatch closed.
Very close quarters but nothing is binding when the hatch is on.

Added CA to the balsa threads and slot to toughen them up.

Simple and it works.

Chris
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:06 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
And now we have two hatches. Onto the center hatch.

Chris
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:15 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
The Plecan Falcon build has sat quietly the last couple of days due to the Canada Day long weekend. I hope all the Canadians reading this thread had a great July 1st. Parades, fireworks and a little flying mixed in.

I have now cut the hatch out and have been trial fitting it to the stab.
Lightning holes cut and attachment screws added.

Chris
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:17 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Good work. Keep it coming Chris.
I'm so pleased to see that I'm not the only one who gets 'glue tear holes' in the plan
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:38 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
Good work. Keep it coming Chris.
I'm so pleased to see that I'm not the only one who gets 'glue tear holes' in the plan
sparks
CA is very sneaky stuff. No matter how much wax paper you put down, CA always finds the paper plans.

Chris
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:08 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
These screw hold downs have been giving me fits!

I would have them all glued in and predrilled and when I screwed in the screws, they would split. I didn't have this issue with the outer hatches.
As you can see in the picture I ended up using a small square block partly wedged between the rib and sub-rib. This finally worked. This was the fourth try.
I also had to build up the spar area and create a lip for the hatch to rest on.
About 3/32 was removed from the center rib and small triangles added to the corners of the hatch.
One thing to note is the hatch is higher in the center than the ends. ie. it has a bend in it. Due to the ribs becoming smaller towards the vertical stabs.

Finally the hatch is in place.

Chris
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:32 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Added a few stringers and that should finish the building the tail feathers.

Chris
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:38 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,902 Posts
That tail unit has been a complicated job, but the final results are well worth the work, nice job. Wings next? They should be easy by comparison!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:15 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
I decided to put the tail feathers all together and sit it on the fuselage to see what it looked like.
Gee Chris, you complicated things royally. All that was required was to glue a couple ribs, a spar, leading and trailing stock and a couple of slab fins together. Just because you wanted a little control.

Chris