HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 01:42 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
I don't know where this great flying weather is coming from but I am sure taking advantage of it. Had a great Sunday morning with the Stardust Special and have the sunburn to prove it. Couldn't find any thermals but still had some great power off soaring!

Have a little more progress to report on the Falcon.
With first vertical stab assembled I decided to build the second stab on top of the completed one. This should allow me to make an exact copy of the first stab, as the paper plan is mainly just an outline.

Pictures shows the second fin assembled on top of the first and now ready to move onto the second rudder.

Chris
Tomahawk is offline Find More Posts by Tomahawk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2012, 02:28 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Finished filling in the last rudder.
We have matching pairs. Yea!!!

Sanded smooth and ready to start the hinging.

Also used that handy razor plane to take down the extra thickness of the triangles so the sanding wasn't so much of a chore.

Chris
Old May 24, 2012, 03:41 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
They look the part Chris. Getting there!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2012, 01:16 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Accomplished a couple of tasks over the last few days.

Added the hinge supports so the hinges have a little more surface area for the glue than just the 3/16" stick. The pic shows the trimming down of the support area with the razor plane.
I am using 2 Dubro nylon pin hinges for each rudder. I cut 3/16" off each end of the hinges to shorten them up for a total length of 3/4". That should be plenty of surface area for gluing as I am not expecting great forces acting on the control surfaces. The hinge slots were cut and hinges trial fitted.

I also rounded the leading edges of the fins and beveled the rudders to allow for movement of the hinges.
In the picture you can see the L horns I cutout of 3/32" aircraft ply. One has a clevis attached as I needed to sand these attachment points a little thinner to allow for a better fit of the clevises.

The last pic is of a very useful tool.
It arrived in a Goldberg kit.
When I first saw it. What is this and where would you possibly glue it on the plane.
Then it was. Ah, a building tool.
When I tried it. That is pretty slick.
I have used it on every build since and can't be without it.

It is a centering tool. Originally to find where to cut the hinge slots.
You slip the two prongs over the edge of balsa where the hinges are to be placed. Give the tool a twist so one prong rests on the upper and one on the lower edge of the balsa and push the tool inward to seat it against the hinge line.
Next you drag it along the length of the wood. There is a little protrusion in the center of the tool and it leaves a perfect indentation in the balsa showing the exact center where to cut your hinge slots.

Simple but slick!

I have also used it to find the center on the edge of the rudder so I was able to cut the bevels evenly for the hinge line.

Chris
Old May 27, 2012, 12:25 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Glued the L horns into the rudder slots.

I found it very hard to cut into the structure of the rudder after all the work I put into building them. Just seemed as if I was weakening them.

The clevis hole was positioned 1/2" ahead of the hinge line if anyone needs the reference for building their own twin vertical stab in the future.

Most importantly, remember to glue the L horns in place, so you have a right and a left rudder.

Chris
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:25 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
I have started trial fitting the first fin to the horizontal Stab only to discover it is sitting too low and the L-horn is not centered on the outside rib.
I have been notching and shimming the fin trying to bring it back to where I need it to be. I have also been filling in the spaces on the fin that the stab plugs into.

A lot of fiddly work but doesn't look like much accomplished.

Chris
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:49 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
With the shims dry, I cut out the opening for the L horn into the fin hinge line.
The pics show the fitting of the fin and rudder to make up the vertical stab.

Chris
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:47 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
Always amazing how much time we spend on the "fiddly bits" as opposed to the actual framing up isn't it? Nice looking fins though Chris, and well worth all the extra effort.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:50 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
341 Posts
Subscribing!

Being an "Old Timer" myself, I seem to be drawn to these beautifully nostalgic designs. Looking forward to the maiden, as I'm sure you are as well. Great work! You are a craftsman.

Russ
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh
Old Jun 04, 2012, 08:12 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
341 Posts
Chris,

In post #1, exactly where did the scan of the plans come from? This design intrigues me and I'm thinking of giving it a go.

Russ
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh
Old Jun 04, 2012, 10:22 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulpilotrmh View Post
Chris,

In post #1, exactly where did the scan of the plans come from? This design intrigues me and I'm thinking of giving it a go.

Russ
Easy to find using VINPLANDEX from Post #1 of the Vintage and Old Timer plans thread, to save you the trouble Russ go to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8&postnum=6408
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:51 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Easy to find using VINPLANDEX from Post #1 of the Vintage and Old Timer plans thread, to save you the trouble Russ go to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8&postnum=6408
Thanks George, for linking that up for Russ.

Russ, I have to warn you. The scans are from the September 1940 MAN magazine. You can't build directly from the scan plans. You have to create your own plans from them. I don't want to discourage you but it is a demanding build and will challenge you if you want it with RC control. I have tried my best to document the changes I made to the Falcon in this thread for others to use. Best of luck and keep us posted if you decide to tackle the Plecan Falcon.

I must thank you for you earlier kind comments.

Chris
Last edited by Tomahawk; Jun 05, 2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:56 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
I guess I should add another installment of Chris, what have you gotten yourself into.

I finished adding the balsa bits on the horz. stab. end to fill any holes on the fin.
Cut the first opening on the end rib for the L horn.

The three pics are the ones you have been waiting for. The fitting of the vertical and horizontal stabs.

Chris
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:25 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
The left fin has now been fitted to the stab with all the little wood bits added.
Here is a pic of the tail section all fitted together sitting precariously on the end of the Falcon's fuselage.

Hey, it is finally starting to look a little like the pictures out of the magazine!

Chris
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:05 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
I am still building away or I should say boring away, holes that is.

I have been adding the openings at the end of the stab. ribs for the pushrods that run from the bellcrank to the rudders.

A very tedious job as it is a tight space between the ribs and I have to be careful not to ding the adjoining ribs with the drill bit or file.

Next I have to elongate the holes as the pushrods also travel side to side abit when operating.

Chris