HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:48 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
Spackle on, Spackle off. Spackle on, Spackle off

At least it was a nice day to sand outside.

Chris
Tomahawk is online now Find More Posts by Tomahawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 03:10 PM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
It's time to RELEASE THE HATCH.

Unfortunately all didn't go as planned and I have some repair work as the razor saw wandered off the hatch line. In hindsight I should have put some pin holes through the planking wood to outline the hatch. Adding the pin holes while planking would have made it much easier to cut the hatch out.

Chris
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:57 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
The hatch area is now pretty much repaired. Since the hatch has now been removed this allowed me to install the servo tray.

While that was drying I started to build the tail end piece.
Basically just sandwiched some 1/8" balsa between two 1/4" balsa sheets to build up the thickness I needed. This will be carved and sanded to finish off the tail end.

Chris
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:38 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
Oh no I made a complete newbee mistake.

I was dry fitting the solid tail end and stab support plate to the fuselage and the measurements seemed to be wrong.
I doubled checked the plans and the pieces I made were measured correctly.
For some reason the solid tail end was sticking out past the support plate by 1/2". This should not be happening!!!!!

I then discovered that I had somehow added a 1/2" to the spacing of one of the formers near the tail. Drat!!!!! That explained why there was a bit of a hollow on the surface of the planking on the bottom of the fuselage. At the time I thought I had just made a mistake while fitting the ends of the planks.
(I fixed the hollow with balsa before sanding.)
If you remember back with the tail hanging off the end of the building board that is where this issue happened.

Not too many options to fix this. I can't move the last two formers to the correct locations and I am not going to start the fuselage over.
My only solution is to cut back the solid tail end by 1/2" and blend it in with a more aggressive curve. Hope it will look alright. With the Stab. support plate staying the same I won't have to modify the Stab. itself.

Glad Mr. Plecan used a solid balsa end piece.

Pic shows the tail end glued and drying. Next the carving.

Chris
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:09 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
Love that little razor plane. It made short work of the solid tail end piece. I am happy with the results after sanding.

The razor plane was also useful with taking down that pushrod snake on the side of the fuselage. Just be careful near the wood and finish off with some 150 grit to make the tube flush with the surface.

Chris
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:18 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,275 Posts
You are dead right Tomahawk, the humble little razor plane is a much under rated tool, I still use the same one that I bought when I started modelling over sixty years ago (not the same blade though), and for some jobs it can't be beaten. That fuselage is a really nice looking piece of planking, you are making a great job of a demanding build.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:54 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,788 Posts
This particular model will have a flight or two at my field this summer....better get busy Chris.
I have a few to maiden as well including an 84" Power House night flyer.
Your welcome out anytime Chris.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:41 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
You are dead right Tomahawk, the humble little razor plane is a much under rated tool, I still use the same one that I bought when I started modelling over sixty years ago (not the same blade though), and for some jobs it can't be beaten. That fuselage is a really nice looking piece of planking, you are making a great job of a demanding build.
I know everyone is thinking this and I will say it. What does a razor plane that is 60 years old look like? Picture. We could start a thread of vintage model building tools. My razor plane is only the old plastic Master Airscrew one but still very useful.

Chris
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:48 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
This particular model will have a flight or two at my field this summer....better get busy Chris.
I have a few to maiden as well including an 84" Power House night flyer.
Your welcome out anytime Chris.

Bill
A little more progress Bill. I am working as fast as I can. It really surprises me how fast some of these guys build from reading the other threads.
I still have the Stardust Special to fly if not too windy but might surprise you with some others planes I have.
--------------------------------------------------------

The Stab support plate was glued on and while that was drying I decided to work on the other end.
The electric motor I decided to use is short. I need to move it forward to where the plans shows the prop should be located. The plans called for beam mounting but I am mounting directly to the firewall. I created some motor standoffs out of some scrap multi layered Russian Birch. Just needed to stack two of the 3/4" thicknessed together to aquire the spacing I needed.

(Actually the birch is metric measured and the thickness is almost 1/16" shy of the 3/4".)

Chris
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:18 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
The build continues.

Not quite done with the stab support plate. The glue is dry but it looked unfinished. I had studied the plan from the beginning and there was a drawing that I couldn't make out what was wanted. The build article offered nothing. The drawing looked like a piece of paper being peeled off the top of the support plate but from one side to the other. I looked at the tail section I built and it dawned on me finally what the designer was trying to depict.
He wanted the stab support plate to taper and eventually blend into the side of the fuselage. (the drawing still looks like paper being peeled off to me.)

I had to modify this abit and add some 1/4" balsa strips to the underside of the support plate. If you remember earlier, I routed into the plate for the bellcrank. If I didn't add the balsa filler I would end up tapering into the hole I created on top. The balsa strips also add more strength to the plate than just the top of the planking it was glued to.
Not quite finished the blending and will post those pics tomorrow.

Chris
Last edited by Tomahawk; Apr 15, 2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Add pic of the drawing from the plan
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:19 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
The carving, shaping and sanding to blend the support stab to the fuselage sides is now complete.

It seems with all this required carving and shaping I am actually sculpting the Falcon rather than building it.

Chris
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:59 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
nice sculpturing work Chris!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:22 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,275 Posts
I agree - looks like it would be as at home on a plinth as flying!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:22 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
Thanks Sparks and Sundancer.

To be quite honest, with the work involved with this oldtimer I think I would be very reluctant to actually fly the Falcon freeflight. I just would not want to risk damaging it. I can understand the popularity of building flat sided models as they are quicker to build and you can knock out another one quite quickly if damage occurs. Don't worry this gal is going to fly and not be just a showpiece on the wall.

Here is a quick picture of my hi-tec motor stand-off mounted to the front of the Falcon. LOL.

Chris
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:08 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,374 Posts
Are those standoffs laminated balsa or ply? Either way, an idea worth remembering (stealing)

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor