HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:35 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,536 Posts
I'm enjoying this build and the photos you provide. A nice looking model is emerging!

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:03 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe View Post
I'm enjoying this build and the photos you provide. A nice looking model is emerging!

Soft landings,

Joe
Thank you for the nice comments Joe.

I have started a few planks on the fuselage tonight. Not much to report otherwise.

Chris
Tomahawk is offline Find More Posts by Tomahawk
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:56 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
Have a little progress to report.
Just a few more planks and the bottom of the fuselage will be finished. I have been taking my time with this because the downside of strip planking is the CA fumes. I have an exhaust fan going but I am using more CA than what I normally use when building.
The strips themselves are 1/8" x 3/8" wide.

I am not going to explain how to strip plank as MAN put out a good how-to article a few years back. This is where I learned the ins and outs of strip planking. I think the article was named Strip Plank Like a Pro. I have seen copys of it floating around the internet. Definitely a worth while read.

Did a search here it is.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/26885422...ank-like-a-Pro

Pic shows the bottom of the fuse just about completed.

Chris
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:39 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
Well, the bottom planking is finished. The fuselage is right side up and I am attaching the top formers back into place to the finish the job. You can't see it in the picture but I had to add a small support to each former as it was easy to crack off those top sections. The support is just a small 1/16" vertical piece of balsa at the cut lines.

Chris
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:10 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
It is getting much harder to put time into the build with the warm weather we are receiving now. +25C out this weekend. This is June weather. Have a bad feeling mother nature will turn on us later this month.

Not much to report on the build. Added two planks to each side and had to stop. Now is the time to decide where the servos go and the snake pushrods.
Oh, I did add a light wash of diluted weldbond to the inside of the fuse just to add a little strength in case I missed any spots with ca while planking.

Chris
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:24 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,278 Posts
The planking looks great Chris, thanks for the link to the "how to plank" article, I hadn't seen that before. I am full of admiration for you planking with CA, if I tried that I would finish up glued to the model I'm sure, I always use a slower drying glue although it means using pins etc.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:29 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
The planking looks great Chris, thanks for the link to the "how to plank" article, I hadn't seen that before. I am full of admiration for you planking with CA, if I tried that I would finish up glued to the model I'm sure, I always use a slower drying glue although it means using pins etc.
LOL. Yes I do end up with a lot of CA on my fingers. I have never glued myself to the model yet. Maybe because I use medium CA and it gives me a chance to let go before it sets. I might try the slower drying glue in the future as I am not a fan of the CA fumes that are produced.

Chris
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:31 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
The build continues.

I have been working on the placement of the internal systems. I decided the servos should be placed in the first bay. With the nose being so short, I need all the weight forward I can get. The bellcrank for the twin rudders will be situated near the center line of the fuselage. The wire for the snake needs to be placed on the inside of the rudder servo wheel to make a straight run to the bellcrank. The elevator wire can be placed on the outside of the other servo wheel allowing a normal straight exit out the side of the fuselage. Now that I know my servo orientation and where the snakes will start I can now figure out where they will exit.

I have installed the servo rails up in the top of the first bay and cut out the servo tray. Onto the fiddly work I have been putting off. In my opinion this next part will be the real work of the build. I can't proceed any farther till it is accomplished.

Chris
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:46 PM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
The warm temps sure put a damper on the building. I was able to get some outdoor flying in at the field.

Back to the build. Push rod exits. The exit for the elevator is a non-issue and will exit on the right side under the Stab. How far back will be decided on how big I decide to make the elevator.

The exit for the rudders was a little more complicated. I wanted to keep all linkages internal. I needed to exit the pushrod on top of the platform for the stabilizer. I still wasn't sure of the exit as I needed to figure out where the bellcrank would go. I couldn't place the bellcrank till I figured out where the rudder hinge line was. I couldn't figure out the rudder hinge line till I figured where the elevator hinge line was.
I had to draw up the plan of the tail so I could fit all this together.
Once I had the plan done I had a general idea of where the parts go.
Next step was to setup a test stand so I could figure out the correct mechanical throws.
More info soon.

Chris
Last edited by Tomahawk; Mar 29, 2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:37 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
I had the idea of only using one servo to drive the two rudders. Basically a pushrod running back through a snake to a bellcrank. I used a Great Planes bellcrank as it was the smallest I could find.
I will also use a dual output ball-link on the other end of the bellcrank to hopefully keep the geometry the same to each rudder.

I searched the internet to find what others have done to hook up twin rudders. Why reinvent the wheel!!! I did find some ideas but not what I was looking for. Anything conventional would hit the elevator hinge line and I didn't want to stick the control horn on the outside.

When I drew up the plan for the tail feathers the solution dawned on me.
I needed to create a new control horn. I'll call it the L horn. Basically it is built inside the rudders but will extent about 3/8" into the fins past the hinge line and then bends 90 degrees into the stab. This gets me around the elevator hinge line and when I tried it in the test setup it hits nothing and I still have a 1" throw each way on the rudders.
Also note these are full length rudders. I will have to remove some of the elevator on each end to allow for the movement of the rudders.
There will be about 3 access doors needed for this setup.

The pics show the test setup in neutral and full throw action.

I can now put in the snakes.

Chris
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:25 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
The build continues.

Completed the stabilizer mounting block. I routed out a hole to mount the hard point for the bellcrank. (just a piece of lite ply with a blind nut) I have a nice router attachment for the Dremel and it was a lot easier than carving by hand. Since the stabilizer sits on this mount I also set the bellcrank below the surface level and created a channel for the pushrod to run along. This should avoid having to cut too much into the stab structure.
Now I can install the snakes.

Chris
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:06 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,382 Posts
Rudder Linkage

I really like your approach to the twin rudder linkage, and the stab mount. Watching with interest!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:04 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor View Post
I really like your approach to the twin rudder linkage, and the stab mount. Watching with interest!

Pete G.
Thanks. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I haven't missed any detail that might come up when I actually try to install all the linkages in the stab.

You can't see it in the photo but I was fortunate that the designer made the stab mount so thick. 1/2" This allowed me to easily bury the bellcrank under the stablizer.

Chris
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:22 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
Once you know the entrance and exit points, the snake guides install quickly.

Unfortunately I took too much wood out on a couple of the formers and had to add some supports for the guides in these areas. At least you won't see it when the fuselage is planked.

Chris
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:10 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
579 Posts
Finished the planking on the top of the fuselage. Now I have to start filling any big gaps with balsa and lightly sand. Then the spackling can start.

Chris