HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:47 AM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,890 Posts
Here is one built by my friend Gerald Martin.
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:48 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Condor View Post
Here is one built by my friend Gerald Martin.
Ackkkkk. You can't post a picture like that without details. I need details!! That picture only creates more questions for me.

Your friends plane looks very similar to the B&W pic I posted earlier. Is it the same plane in the picture or was the Falcon kitted at some time?
I noticed your friend has the elastic hold downs on the pylon. Did he somehow tie in the wires to the formers. The plans only show the pylon glued to the surface of the fuselage. This is something I am going to correct in my build.
I have been working on how to run the bellcrank to the rudders and I think I have the solution but any extra pics would be helpful.
Could you ask him why there are slots in the fins.
That picture really enforces that I am going to have to be careful of the fins and rudders on landing and takeoffs.
Does he hand-launch the Falcon or just takes-off from the ground?

Anymore pics appreciated, maybe any flight video?

Thanks Chris
Tomahawk is online now Find More Posts by Tomahawk
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:00 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
With the ribs now fixed and built up where needed. Now was the time to start joining the two wing halves. The plans called for 6" under each wing tip. I cut a piece of foam 12" long and attached it to a ruler. I am going to use this to prop up the wing to obtain the required dihedral. I will set the wing on the edge of the foam like a shelf and the ruler is there only to make sure the foam doesn't bend or break. I don't think I have ever put this much dihedral into a wing before.

I created a template out of boxboard of the angle I required so I could cut the root angles for joining. Using the template would ensure all angles were the same when I scribed the pencil lines to the wood. After making the cuts I propped up the right wing and the angles were very close. YES! Only a little sanding was required to align all three joints together.

I should mention I changed the spar joiners from the plan. Originally the joiners were made out of 1/8" hard balsa. They were over 10" long, almost reaching the third rib. Maybe needed with the balsa spars but I changed my spars to popular. (much stronger) I also made my spar joiners out of 3/32" lite ply and cut them back to 5". I staggered the ends of the joiners so they wouldn't line up. This just corrects a stress point issue with the spar.

I used 30min epoxy and attached the joiners to one wing half first and let it dry. I then taped the foam support I made to the tip of the wing and proceeded to glue and clamp the remaining wing to the joiners.
Also added joiners to the inside of the leading and trailing edges.
I could of joined everything at once but I figured there was less to go wrong if I took my time at this stage.
Here is the pic of the final joining of the wings. You can see the wing foam support I taped to the wing tip.
Next I will be adding the center ribs.

Chris
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:29 AM
Old Timer
Joined Apr 2001
3,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
Ackkkkk. You can't post a picture like that without details. I need details!! That picture only creates more questions for me.

Your friends plane looks very similar to the B&W pic I posted earlier. Is it the same plane in the picture or was the Falcon kitted at some time?
I noticed your friend has the elastic hold downs on the pylon. Did he somehow tie in the wires to the formers. The plans only show the pylon glued to the surface of the fuselage. This is something I am going to correct in my build.
I have been working on how to run the bellcrank to the rudders and I think I have the solution but any extra pics would be helpful.
Could you ask him why there are slots in the fins.
That picture really enforces that I am going to have to be careful of the fins and rudders on landing and takeoffs.
Does he hand-launch the Falcon or just takes-off from the ground?

Anymore pics appreciated, maybe any flight video?

Thanks Chris
He let it ROG, not a problem. Unfortunately Gerald left us for that thermal in the sky not long ago and I do not have anymore pictures. I did make the rudder(s) control linkage for it. It was powered with an Atwood Triumph and he was not satisfied with it's (the engine) performance.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:15 PM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
He let it ROG, not a problem. Unfortunately Gerald left us for that thermal in the sky not long ago and I do not have anymore pictures. I did make the rudder(s) control linkage for it. It was powered with an Atwood Triumph and he was not satisfied with it's (the engine) performance.
Sorry for the loss of your friend.
Any information you can provide about the Falcon is appreciated.
Don't hesitate to add it to this thread as I only have the plans to go by.
Very little on the internet.
What size was the Atwood Triumph?

Chris
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:22 PM
Old Timer
Joined Apr 2001
3,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
Sorry for the loss of your friend.
Any information you can provide about the Falcon is appreciated.
Don't hesitate to add it to this thread as I only have the plans to go by.
Very little on the internet.
What size was the Atwood Triumph?

Chris
It was a .49.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:03 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
It was a .49.
Did a little internet search and found the engine if anyone is interested.

Chris
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:05 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Not much of the build to report. The three center ribs are now in place.

I forgot to mention that I ran the TF Woodpecker over the wing joiners and spars before gluing them. Just wanted the epoxy to penetrate the harder woods. Nasty piece of rc building equipment if it catches you. I ran it over my knuckle once. I wasn't a happy camper that day!

I set up a test bed so I could figure out the throws and linkage requirements for the rudders being operated by one servo. Took most of the night but I have it figured out now. At least I know why there are holes in the sides of the fins in that B&W picture I posted earlier.

Chris
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:32 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Have some progress to report.

I made a deviation to the plans and added four 3/16"x1/8" stringers to the top of the wing ribs. I knew the covering would sag in between the ribs if I didn't do something. Stringers would look more vintage on this wing then if I sheeted it. Stringers would also be easier as sheeting would be a nightmare trying to tie it into the curved leading edge.

I cut the stringers out of hard balsa and set them vertically into the ribs. To cut the slots I used my stacked hacksaw blades. Basically once I figured the required spacing between the stringers. I used a straight ruler and marked the locations along the ribs. It took four of the blades stacked together to cut the 1/8" slots. I also used a piece of masking tape on the side of the blades as a depth indicator for the required 3/16".

I am quite happy how the stringers turned out.
Center sheeting has also been added and everything lightly sanded. I have steamed any dents and spackled where necessary. I will wait till a warmer day to thoroughly sand the wing outside.
Onto the fuselage!

Chris
Last edited by Tomahawk; Mar 05, 2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:11 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,647 Posts
That's a gorgeous looking wing Chris, I think the additional top spars are a very good move, will make covering much easier. The "stacked hacksaw blades" are a good method, I always use them for cutting spar and stringer slots.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:40 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Thanks! Surprising how a few pieces of balsa changed the look of the wing. To me the wing now looks finished.
----------------------------------------------

From paper patterns to a nice stack of formers.

I will be making quite a few changes to the fuselage plans. I will point them out as the build progresses.

A small note. The plans called for 1/8" balsa formers but I used 3/32" lite ply. I used lite ply because the fuselage will be strip-planked. The last all fuselage plane I strip-planked was a Ziroli Windex with balsa formers. It was not enjoyable as the formers would occasionally break as I applied the strips. The lite ply should help with this issue but it will create other issues.

Next I will be cutting holes in the formers.

Chris
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:40 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Finished cutting the holes in the formers. The plans showed to leave them solid but I needed airflow through the fuselage to keep the battery and esc cool.
If you are wondering how I traced the lines. I used a compass set at a 3/8" width and traced around the outside. The pencil lead left a perfect contour line to cut. I also used a coin to trace round any squared corners. The scroll saw was used to cut out the holes.

The next part had me stumped for a bit. I needed to cut the top half of the formers off. The plans called to build the fuselage upside down and then the former tops were to be glued back on. Then finish the strip-planking on the top side.
If I made the formers out of balsa I could have easily use a straight edge and a #11 blade and slice them off. I used lite ply. I was worried that any saw I used would take too much material off and the formers would sit much lower. The other issue was, could I cut a straight line. If not the formers would not line up on the build board.
A test piece on the scroll saw removed too much material.
I tried the razor saw. The width was correct but the saw would wander. So close.
Then a solution dawned on me. I scored the lite ply with the #11 blade and a ruler. I did it a couple of times to make a deep score line in the ply and then used the razor saw. Success!!! The score line kept the saw from wandering.
Pic of the finished formers.

Chris
Last edited by Tomahawk; Jul 15, 2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:27 PM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
I have made some more progress on the Falcon the past couple days.

The original plans have a unique removable battery box. You had to insert it through the front of the fuselage but you would have to remove the motor to do this. At first glance of the plans I thought I could utilize this feature but now I find it unworkable. I needed access to the inside of the fuselage for servos, rx and easy battery exchange.
Since this is a curved fuselage I couldn't just install a flat hatch on the side.
I had to incorporate the hatch into the fuselage but not wreck the original lines. I also had to strengthen the sides of the fuselage as I was cutting into the structure of the aircraft and weakening it.
From the pics you can see the two 1/4" popular longerons I added to the sides. The pics pretty much show what I did. I am also going to use the longerons as hard mounting points for the wire wing hold-downs. (the wing elastics attach to these wires)

I plan on using a spring loaded catch and small dowels to attach the hatch in the future.

Take note the fuselage formers are now upside down for building.

Chris
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:47 PM
Use your imagination....
Turkey, Izmir, Seferihisar
Joined Oct 2007
1,165 Posts
Nice building thread.

Cem
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:36 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Hi Cem. Glad you are enjoying it.

---------------------------------------------------------
Turned out to be a nice warm day. Unusual for this time of year. I was able to sand the wing outside. A few imperfections showed up that I will fill in at a later date and then resand those areas. The wing is almost ready for covering. I will wait till the fuselage is done before covering the wing. Just in case I want to make some changes.

The fuselage is now on the build board and all formers are lined up and glued to the two 1/8"x1" balsa side starter strips. Strip planking can now commence.
One strange issue was the last two formers must hang off the end of the building board. Not sure why you couldn't just make the formers all the same height. Made it a little tricky to setup.

Remember I am building the bottom part of the fuselage in the pic.

Chris