HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:46 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinNZ View Post
Hi Chris; The piece of wing i can see looks good I,ve been watching hurricane Sandy on the tele scary stuff hope it doesn,t affect you too much.

Colin.
Hi Colin.
Really windy last night with lots of rain but today mostly just bands of rain going through all day. Nothing like you see from New York. Mostly a non issue here.
We had a dry summer and can use the moisture.

Chris
Tomahawk is offline Find More Posts by Tomahawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:51 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
932 Posts
Hi Chris; Glad to here that, what i saw on tv was New York

Colin.
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:51 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Well, I guess I should post a little Falcon build.

Painting on the Solartex covering.

Solartex is much easier to paint and surface prep is less work than the plastic covering like Ultracote.

I will show the vertical stab. as an example.
Masked off the area that I wanted to keep yellow. Next I cleaned the surface to be painted with rubbing alcohol to remove any oils that might be on the surface from my fingers when I was covering.
Since this is a coloured covering I first sprayed a layer of white to keep the yellow from showing through the final coat of colour. If the base covering was white I would have omitted the white paint.
When the white layer was dry to the touch but under 24hrs I applied the final coat of red paint. The white paint will make the red more brilliant and the colour will pop out at you more than if you omitted the white layer.

I removed the mask as soon as the paint was dry to the touch.

The paint I like to use is the Krylon Fusion Paint for plastic. It is not fuel proof but this is electric and that fuelie thing is not an issue here. You would have to apply a clear fuel proofer if glow was going to be used.

There you go the secondary colour is red!

Chris

PS
If you are wondering why the odd shaped circle on the vertical stab. On the original plans the fins were solid balsa with a large lightening hole. I am recreating the illusion of the hole that you could see when the light passed through the covering. Oh and we are not done yet!
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:46 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
932 Posts
Watching with interest, havn't tried painting film yet.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:47 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
932 Posts
sorry double post
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:34 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Adding some black trim tonight. It is actually black ultracote.

Chris
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:35 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Graphics

Been working on the graphics.
Chose a font I liked off the computer. Sized it up and printed it off. Cut out the numbers from the paper and retraced onto the back of Ultracote. Cut the numbers out of Ultracote and then eyeballed where I liked the date on the wing. Sealed down with a low temp setting on the iron to only activate the glue.

Chris
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:01 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Finishing off the graphics tonight. I was looking at that odd-shaped circle on the vertical stabilizer and decided it needed a little Falcon in there.
Did a quick search for Falcon logos on the net and I ended up with quite a few ideas. I was surprise how many logos contained a picture of a falcon. Insurance companies, Wineries, Banks and of course sport teams.
I decide on one that worked in the space I had and was easier to cut out of Ultracote. Here is what I ended up with. I really liked how it turned out.

Chris
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:26 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
932 Posts
Chris this is looking better and better

Colin
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:33 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
I finally have all my dahlias dug and stored for the winter. I can now concentrate fully on finishing the Falcon.

The covering is complete, the paint added and graphics on. It looks like we have finally entered the ARF stage.
Only the assembly of the major components, radio gear, CG and we should be ready to fly.

The fins were epoxied to the stabilizer and while the epoxy was setting up I tackled the hatch latch and dowels to hold the hatch in place.

Tomorrow I epoxy the tail section to the fuselage.

Chris
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:08 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Not summer weather here by a long shot but the sun was shining and zero wind. Time to head out to the field for a little afternoon flying before winter decides to hit. When the sun starts to go down, it becomes cold fast!
Had the Stardust Special 300 out. Just crusing around and enjoying the nil wind conditions. I did notice the Lipo didn't perform as well in the cooler air.

The tail section is now attached to the fuselage. While the epoxy was setting up I added some spar urethane to the wooden horns on the rudders. I wanted to protect them and keep them from swelling if by chance water somehow enters that area.

Chris
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:30 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
932 Posts
We have the opposite here it warm enough but the wind won't stop blowing and the outlook for the weekend doesn't look any better

Colin
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:55 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinNZ View Post
We have the opposite here it warm enough but the wind won't stop blowing and the outlook for the weekend doesn't look any better

Colin
Hi Colin, It looks like the mother nature will be favourable to us here for the time being. Temps are climbing every day and little wind. I am talking only 10 degrees Celcius tomorrow but winter is coming and you have to take what is offered now.

--------------------------------

The build continues. Just hinging. Epoxied the hinges into the tail this morning and this evening the rudders and elevators were epoxied to the installed hinges.

I should be able to start on the electronics and control throws tomorrow.

Chris
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:27 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Right at the moment, I am not a big fan of bell cranks. Sloppy!

Chris
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:29 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Well, that bellcrank would rock up and down when using the servo and then the rudders wouldn't recenter to the same spot. It was just ticking me off!

It took a little time but I had to build a little guide so the bellcrank would slide along during normal usage but not rock up and down. Best to look at the pictures.

I should mention that I hate snakes for control surfaces and will only use them as a last resort. Mostly because temperatures changes causes the snakes to shrink or expand causing trim changes. I had a friend show me an excellent method to modify the snakes and in the end you end up with a much superior method of joining the servo to the control surface. Basically you still install the outer portion of the snake and support it so it doesn't flex while in operation. You next snip up the inner section into 1/2 inch segments. Select a 1/16 rod, threaded at one end, the required length needed. Take the inner section pieces and slide them over the threaded rod at roughly 3" intervals. Z bend on the servo end and a clevis on the threaded end. You end up with a nice strong slop free snake that doesn't notice temp changes. I have used this on many a model without one issue. Try to keep the snake runs fairly straight.

Chris