HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:44 PM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromeddeler View Post
enjoying the build. Plans on the outerzone site are not full size, in fact the not full size bits are about 1/4 scale. I know most reading this thread will be able to scale up the scans themselves but for those who cannot I have full sized the necessary parts and collected the whole lot into a PDF for prospective builders
Thanks for the PDF Aeromeddeler. I haven't printed out your pdf to check but on the original scans there were distortions. I first scale them up and printed them off only to discover they were the right length but narrow in the width. More or less unusable. Not sure if it was from the scanning or shrinkage of the original plan in the magazine. Maybe it was ok to be printed that way because it was intended that hand drawn plans be made and little distortions didn't matter. Little errors in the plans became big errors when enlarged. I ended up having to draw and scale them up manually with pencil and ruler.
Just thought you should be aware.

Chris
Tomahawk is online now Find More Posts by Tomahawk
Last edited by Tomahawk; Aug 17, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:23 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
Thanks for the PDF Aeromeddeler. I haven't printed out your pdf to check but on the original scans there were distortions. I first scale them up and printed them off only to discover they were the right length but narrow in the width. More or less unusable. Not sure if it was from the scanning or shrinkage of the original plan in the magazine. Maybe it was ok to be printed that way because it was intended that hand drawn plans be made and little distortions didn't matter. Little errors in the plans became big errors when enlarged. I ended up having to draw and scale them up manually with pencil and ruler.
Just thought you should be aware.

Chris
Chris when you say " I first scale them up and printed them off only to discover they were the right length but narrow in the width." which parts are you talking about. I left all the full size drawings exactly as scanned the only parts I full sized were the wing and fuselage. Let me know which parts you had a problem with and I will check all the plans to make sure everything fits.
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:35 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromeddeler View Post
Let me know which parts you had a problem with and I will check all the plans to make sure everything fits.
I had to go back to the plans to reference the problems.

I initally printed the wing plan as I was starting that first.
After I taped the plans together I measured the chord of the wing using the squares as reference. This was correct or close enough to use. To my dismay when I measured the wing half length it was out by a little more than a 1/4 inch. That would be over 1/2 inch for the total wing.
After this issue I started to take measurements on different locations on the plan.
If you notice the spar. The 1 inch and fractional dimensions are correct but the length is not.
I next measured the ribs and noticed they were all short in chord when compared to the correct wing plan chord. You will also notice the rudder outline on the other plan page. Those squares are not square. Correct in the vertical but short in the horizontal. Looking it all over, my conclusion was all the pages had the same distortion. Correct in one direction but crushed in the other. When enlarged you really see the difference. Lacking the software that could correct in only one direction I proceeded to hand draw some of the plan but I could use the computer to fix other issues. For example I discovered if I printed the plans at 101% it would fix the error one way but would be to big the other. The 101% printing of the ribs worked for me. We usually take too much off ribs when we sand.
I hope that is clear. If not keep asking questions.

Chris
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:52 PM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
I should also mention that ribs 7 to 14 are also too short in chord length even when printed at 101%. I was adding up to 1/8" to each end in some cases.
The #13 rib is also not wide enough. This is something you can't measure and will only notice when the wing is assembled.

Chris
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:44 PM
Soulles Normandy France
Joined Feb 2011
607 Posts
Quote:
I should also mention that ribs 7 to 14 are also too short in chord length even when printed at 101%. I was adding up to 1/8" to each end in some cases.
The #13 rib is also not wide enough. This is something you can't measure and will only notice when the wing is assembled.

Chris
In fact the scans are pretty good, whomever scanned them made sure they were laying pretty flat. When I was scanning aeromodellers and model aircraft I removed the staples to ensure the pages were flat. Not always possible with a couple of american mags I have as they are glue bound rather than stapled. I suspect the inaccuracies in the 1" squares and others are down to the print size.
Plans from this era were never available as full size plans but were ment to be scaled up by the modeller. Unlike today's laser cut kits the old maxim of measure twice cut once was followed and a certian amount of overcutting and sanding to fit was the norm.
Anyway went back to plan I posted and found the following.
Wingspan (wing flat on plan) is 60" , chord is 11.5". I did not use the 1" to scale the wing rather the span and chord. Hopefully these should be between 0.01 to 0.09 correct.Wingribs were a 32nd or so short but any scratchbuilder would have cut them slightly overlong to ensure perfect fit. Tailribs looked OK

Fuselage length on plan is shown as 38" from front of propeller to tip of tail. After resize (using he 5 3.5 spacings ie 17.5 fuselarge length is just under 0.5" over the 38" not really worth worrying about as the distance from F1 to the prop nut will vary as to the motive power. this also makes the formers slightly short of those shown on the plan. However in the interests of accuracy I have resized the original scan to the 38" length for those that want it.
aeromeddeler is offline Find More Posts by aeromeddeler
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:20 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
I also think most of it is from the original printing and age of the magazine pages.
Thanks for looking at that plan again.

Chris
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:07 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
933 Posts
Hi Chris; I looked at those wheels and they do look very nice, are they as soft and spongey as they claim ?
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:26 PM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinNZ View Post
Hi Chris; I looked at those wheels and they do look very nice, are they as soft and spongy as they claim ?
I wouldn't call them soft and spongy. The tire seem to be the same material as the Hangar 9 wheels. If fact having both in my hand. The material is a shade firmer than the Hangar 9 wheels when I squeeze them.

Chris
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:28 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
933 Posts
Quote:
I wouldn't call them soft and spongy. The tire seem to be the same material as the Hangar 9 wheels. If fact having both in my hand. The material is a shade firmer than the Hangar 9 wheels when I squeeze them.

Chris
Thanks Chris
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:29 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
With the nice weather, little is being accomplished on the Falcon.
Have to fly when you can. Also another project I am finding interesting is worming it's way onto the build bench. Lets just say it likes water.

As you can see from the pictures I am slowly making progress around the cowl. Planking to the top is finished and I have flipped the fuselage over and working the bottom half.

Chris
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:18 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Not much to post here. I guess you could say I have the keystone plank in place to finish the cowl. More like strapped into place while the glue cures. Springy little piece of balsa that wants to pop out.
I have also trimmed the balsa planks flush to the foamboard.

Chris
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:50 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
933 Posts
Quote:
. Also another project I am finding interesting is worming it's way onto the build bench. Lets just say it likes water.

Chris
OK Chris no one else has asked so i'll stick my neck out what is it ?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:59 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinNZ View Post
OK Chris no one else has asked so i'll stick my neck out what is it ?
Hi Colin. My local club has been dabbling in float flying and being a builder at heart, I am quickly putting a plane together instead of going out and buying an ARF. Nothing vintage or balsa. Just foam.
You can see the float plane I am building here as plans were provided.
As for progress, I am attaching the floats and starting the main pod next.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696964

Chris
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:34 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
A little minor work done on the cowl.
Finished trimming the rest of the loose ends on the bottom part of the cowl. I removed the foamboard former and now I have to blend the cowl in with the rest of the fuselage. I will wait for a nice day to sand the cowl outside as we received much needed rain today.

Chris
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:06 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,877 Posts
Quote:
I will wait for a nice day to sand the cowl outside
Chris
Sounds like a good idea Chris - you are certainly going to make major dust!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member