Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 08, 2012, 04:41 PM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo Regional District
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
FPV van-island

hey this thread is kinda old but cool to see a bc fpv post. i fly on van-island anyone got any vids
dean420 is offline Find More Posts by dean420
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:01 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
196 Posts
Hey Dean, welcome!

I'm in Vancouver proper, and just a few FPV flights past my maiden. I've got a vid of my maiden wildcat run so far. It's pretty silly.. but I had fun with it.

http://youtu.be/rSLTdushmFI?hd=1

I'm currently building a ZephyrII, using All immersion gear... uhf, osd, tracker. I've amassed the parts.. now it's a matter of taking it step by step, getting stick time in on the bird and slowly expanding my rig using the parts I've aquired.
chicken sashimi is online now Find More Posts by chicken sashimi
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:09 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,166 Posts
Been out of R/C since college, but received intermittent stick time with my father until ca. 1992. Quit the hobby to finish college, marry, raise a family and now that all that is done.....the R/C bug has smitten bad.

Park flyers really interest me...no more noisy and dirty engines with their accompanying hassles and expense.

Does anybody know a place/park within 30 minutes of Port Coquitlam to fly a 48 inch wingspan Hobby Zone Super Cub without having to join a club?

Thanks
easyrider604 is online now Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:56 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
196 Posts
If i were you, I'd drive out east on Laurier, Lincoln or Prarie ave.. into the farmlands. Knock on a couple doors and ask the owers if they mind if you fly over their fields. In my experience most are pretty receptive as long as you don't trample their crops... and you can't compete with farm fields for open airspace.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken sashimi View Post
If i were you, I'd drive out east on Laurier, Lincoln or Prarie ave.. into the farmlands. Knock on a couple doors and ask the owers if they mind if you fly over their fields. In my experience most are pretty receptive as long as you don't trample their crops... and you can't compete with farm fields for open airspace.
Great Idea!!! Will let you know how it goes.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Feb 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
Been out of R/C since college, but received intermittent stick time with my father until ca. 1992. Quit the hobby to finish college, marry, raise a family and now that all that is done.....the R/C bug has smitten bad.

Park flyers really interest me...no more noisy and dirty engines with their accompanying hassles and expense.

Does anybody know a place/park within 30 minutes of Port Coquitlam to fly a 48 inch wingspan Hobby Zone Super Cub without having to join a club?

Thanks
Welcome back to the hobby easyrider! If you want a nice big place you can fly your plane without any interference, try pitt lake. Tonnes of space out there. PM me for exact directions if you're not familiar with the area and I'll send you GPS coordinates.
HTH
AVIATION_RULZ is offline Find More Posts by AVIATION_RULZ
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ View Post
Welcome back to the hobby easyrider! If you want a nice big place you can fly your plane without any interference, try pitt lake. Tonnes of space out there. PM me for exact directions if you're not familiar with the area and I'll send you GPS coordinates.
HTH
Thanks for the welcome...and the tip, AR. Is there a hard surface to use as a runway?

Chicken Sashimi, I told my flying bud about your idea, and he told me to try Hyde Creek Park first. So we went there last Friday and had a blast...5 flights on my HZ Super Cub. Will fly again soon as this rain stops. Would have had more flights except that when I connected my spare battery, something went poof. Back to Seb I went and turned out the battery connector polarity was reversed.
Seb replaced the ESC, bound the TX and back I went to the field and all was well.

Actually, I thought that I would need a "refresher" plane, to get back the old feel of flying...but it took only a couple of flights on my buddy's Champ and two minutes on my HZ Super Cub to feel really comfortable. So long story short, over the weekend, I ordered a P51 (RTF 38" wingspan) from Bananahobby....should've done more research as BH seems to have a terrible rep as far as quality and reliability of their electronics.

Anyways, the Mustang should be in the States by this weekend and am thinking maybe I should just return the whole box, unopened, and buy something else from another more reputable company.

What do you think, gentlemen. Should I fly this BH Mustang or return it? Or modify it?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:04 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
196 Posts
I dont have any experience with BH, but parkzone has an amazing reputation...Their replacement parts are available at most if not all hobbyshops in plentiful supply and the build quality is really nice.

I've been focused quite a bit on FPV lately, so i'm not currently in the market for another warbird.. but I do love my PZ F4F wildcat and I'll probably buy a PZ spit near mid/end of summer if I haven't blown all my cash on more FPV gear.

As cool as flying FPV is, there's a real charm to flying LOS and watching your scale warbird do all kinds of great tricks in the air.. they are just such amazing machines, real-scale or otherwize.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,166 Posts
CS, that is definitely a sweet flying Wildcat. Where is that field you're flying from....if it is not a secret?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Feb 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome...and the tip, AR. Is there a hard surface to use as a runway?
The best paved runway is a vacant parking lot. LOL ...There is a parking lot there that is huge and is usually 95% vacant. Just don't expect it to be so vacant on weekends. If you go during the weekdays though, you'll be good to go.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ View Post
The best paved runway is a vacant parking lot. LOL ...There is a parking lot there that is huge and is usually 95% vacant. Just don't expect it to be so vacant on weekends. If you go during the weekdays though, you'll be good to go.
Weekdays work better for me and my flying buddy. Thanks again.

I'll go there when I bring back the BH P51 (38 inch wingspan RTF) waiting for me in the States, assuming the TX/RX check out fine. I'll be range testing the rig thoroughly and if any slight glitches appear, I'll bite the bullet and get a Spektrum set, maybe even replace the servos.

Or maybe transplant the Spektrum set already in the HB Super Cub.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Feb 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Weekdays work better for me and my flying buddy. Thanks again.

I'll go there when I bring back the BH P51 (38 inch wingspan RTF) waiting for me in the States, assuming the TX/RX check out fine. I'll be range testing the rig thoroughly and if any slight glitches appear, I'll bite the bullet and get a Spektrum set, maybe even replace the servos.

Or maybe transplant the Spektrum set already in the HB Super Cub.
Sounds good mate - let me know if I can be of any further assistance
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:21 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,082 Posts
Hey guys. I just discovered this place this evening. I don't know if you guys are aware but there is quite a bit of FPV activity happening within West Coast Radio Control Aircraft Flyers. This has only started within the last six months or so. The bulk of it is centred around multi-rotor quad and hex machines. No one has tried it on planks yet. Some of you may know we fly up at Kamikaze.

Yes, I know it is a club and a club field but there are hours when independents can freely fly at the field. Check it out.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Last edited by Stumblebee; Jul 27, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:01 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
196 Posts
Cool Stumblebee, thanks for the tip.

from what I recall, Kamikaze has some pretty tall trees all around that field. Do you guys generally just FPV over the flying field, or do you explore areas outside those boundaries?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:59 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,082 Posts
Yes, there are trees. We pretty well know which ones have a decided appetite for aircraft. Since we are a MAAC field we try to fly to line-of-sight. The link shows some aerial shots of the field and gives some idea as to how far line of sight is.

http://www.wcrcaf.com/index.php?opti...id=1&Itemid=18

So far, since FPV is pretty new to us, we try to stick as close to MAAC rules as we can. That means staying well within line-of-sight and making it very clear when FPV is in the air so that the non-FPV aircraft stay on the ground or well out of the way. As I said, right now the bulk of FPV work is being done with multi-rotor. That will probably change.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee