SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Feb 2011
578 Posts
Discussion
British Columbia - FPV

As I've had the chance to chat with a few individuals from BC (Lower Mainland and the Islands), I think the addition of a FPV flyers section would be very beneficial.

Please feel free to add your name to the list and mingle with other flyers
AVIATION_RULZ is offline Find More Posts by AVIATION_RULZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:39 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
What's up local pilots.

Thanks to AR for starting this thread.. I'm always happy to find new locals to talk about planes with.

A little about myself.. I'm a videogame artist living in Vancouver.

I got into RC flying last year when it became apparent that RC flying is no longer an expensive hobby restricted to retired war veterans and people with balsa-modeling experience. Now'days for a few hundred bucks you can have a very exciting plane up in the air... crash it a few times, tape it back together and get back up there all over again! Finally this game was ready for pilots like me.

I started with a parkzone UM P51.. crashed it 'till it broke, then went home miserable and installed a simulator. I learned to properly fly on the simulator, fixed my p51 and got back out there. A few flights later i was doing Inversion flying, rolls, you name it... having so much fun.

Next i bought an UM Corsair.. and most recently a Parkzone Wildcat. I LOVE my parkzone wildcat. It took awhile to get used to the speed of this thing. (flying in parks wasn't really an option any more). Many crashes later, i think i've finally got her under control.

http://youtu.be/34_RGo9_k_c?hd=1
Here's a video of my bro and I flying around.. i'm the wildcat pilot.

As you can imagine, all of this background was driven by an effort to ultimately fly FPV.. after seeing a few videos on youtube, i knew i had to be a part of this scene. As last year came to a close, I've aquired a 5.8band FPV rig. I've got the VTx, the Fatshark Goggles with VRx, the Cloverleaf antennae... and the whole thing rigged onto a replacement canopy for my wildcat. Once the summer hits, i'll finally get a chance to put the set-up to good use. Hopefully the 5.8 and 2.4mhz (dx6i transmitters) don't cause too much trouble. I'm still looking for a suitable CCD camera... I don't really want to get CMOS because from what i've seen, CCD deals with light variation way better and no rolling shutter. Right now i've only got a crummy camera i bought from Lee's electronics... it would be good enough to test fly on a bright sunny day i suppose.

For the time being, i'm not really interested in flying 20km's... i just want to fly from the pilots seat around the local field... hence the 5.8.
chicken sashimi is offline Find More Posts by chicken sashimi
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Feb 2011
578 Posts
Welcome to the forum Chicken S. Your story is pretty inspiring. I'm trying to get my friends into flying as well and the myth of rc flying being too expensive is still lurking around. Good thing to know that it's become more widespread and readily available.
I just started FPV as well and am on a 1.2ghz system. I really liked the location you showed in your video... where in the lower mainland was that? It would be nice to fly somewhere far from rf interference.

Thanks
AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken sashimi View Post
What's up local pilots.

Thanks to AR for starting this thread.. I'm always happy to find new locals to talk about planes with.

A little about myself.. I'm a videogame artist living in Vancouver.

I got into RC flying last year when it became apparent that RC flying is no longer an expensive hobby restricted to retired war veterans and people with balsa-modeling experience. Now'days for a few hundred bucks you can have a very exciting plane up in the air... crash it a few times, tape it back together and get back up there all over again! Finally this game was ready for pilots like me.

I started with a parkzone UM P51.. crashed it 'till it broke, then went home miserable and installed a simulator. I learned to properly fly on the simulator, fixed my p51 and got back out there. A few flights later i was doing Inversion flying, rolls, you name it... having so much fun.

Next i bought an UM Corsair.. and most recently a Parkzone Wildcat. I LOVE my parkzone wildcat. It took awhile to get used to the speed of this thing. (flying in parks wasn't really an option any more). Many crashes later, i think i've finally got her under control.

http://youtu.be/34_RGo9_k_c?hd=1
Here's a video of my bro and I flying around.. i'm the wildcat pilot.

As you can imagine, all of this background was driven by an effort to ultimately fly FPV.. after seeing a few videos on youtube, i knew i had to be a part of this scene. As last year came to a close, I've aquired a 5.8band FPV rig. I've got the VTx, the Fatshark Goggles with VRx, the Cloverleaf antennae... and the whole thing rigged onto a replacement canopy for my wildcat. Once the summer hits, i'll finally get a chance to put the set-up to good use. Hopefully the 5.8 and 2.4mhz (dx6i transmitters) don't cause too much trouble. I'm still looking for a suitable CCD camera... I don't really want to get CMOS because from what i've seen, CCD deals with light variation way better and no rolling shutter. Right now i've only got a crummy camera i bought from Lee's electronics... it would be good enough to test fly on a bright sunny day i suppose.

For the time being, i'm not really interested in flying 20km's... i just want to fly from the pilots seat around the local field... hence the 5.8.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
Westminister Rd and No.7 Highway actually.... we just drove around until we found an open farmer's field. lol... probably not the best practice.. but we came and went before anyone showed up. :P

That location was the most fun i've had with my Wildcat.. finally had enough airspace and lack of trees to do long fly-by's and not worry about crashing into trees/posts/people. Like I said.. My wildcat is really fast (at least for me) and it was only this location where I really felt comfortable with it. Amazing what a little open airspace will do for you.

As far as sanctioned flying locations go... here's my new favorite spot...HUGE amounts of space. 4986-5000 Royal Oak Ave Burnaby, BC V5H 3S8

Can you tell me more about your FPV rig? How many times have you flown it? Success/failures?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:11 PM
Joined Feb 2011
578 Posts
Wow, that's fantastic! I've been looking for a nice big area to fly as well. I live in surrey and although we have a lot of parks... most of them are congested with people traffic and it just wouldn't be safe to fly. I've been on the lookout for a good place to fly and I'm glad you shared that address with me. Thanks again

As for my success/failures for FPV... I flew fpv twice successfully and on my 3rd flight when I decided to go a little further, I crashed my rig beyond repair. There are many possible causes as to why it crashed but still haven't been able to pinpoint the root cause. In hind sight, I should have never flown fpv without getting my setup double checked by someone who comfortably knows what they're doing. I just put it together and was in a rush to fly. Total damage: $400. That particular rig was the Skywalker and it was a tank... but you can think of it as a tank with lots of vulnerability areas. The structural integrity of the plane just wasn't there. Too many flaws to write down... but the main one would of beent the wing.

My second plane, which I'm in the process of putting together is the Bixler and I am VERY happy with the flight characteristics of it. This beauty will just float forever if you get the cg right and you trim it properly. In fact, I liked it so much, I bought a second kit right after my first flight. Hopefully I'll have everything in it up and running my mid-late april. Here's a little more info. on my setup:
Radio - Futaba 9C
Vtx/Rx - 1.2ghz
Antennas - SPW/CL.. just bought it but haven't tried it out yet
OSD - Dragon OSD (still to be setup... sitting in my cupboard)

What about your FPV setup? How has it been going for you? Any successful flights so far?

We should fly together sometime

AR

Quote:
Westminister Rd and No.7 Highway actually.... we just drove around until we found an open farmer's field. lol... probably not the best practice.. but we came and went before anyone showed up. :P

That location was the most fun i've had with my Wildcat.. finally had enough airspace and lack of trees to do long fly-by's and not worry about crashing into trees/posts/people. Like I said.. My wildcat is really fast (at least for me) and it was only this location where I really felt comfortable with it. Amazing what a little open airspace will do for you.

As far as sanctioned flying locations go... here's my new favorite spot...HUGE amounts of space. 4986-5000 Royal Oak Ave Burnaby, BC V5H 3S8

Can you tell me more about your FPV rig? How many times have you flown it? Success/failures?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Feb 2011
578 Posts
Btw, is there a cost to fly at the Royal Oak location?

Thanks

Quote:

Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:42 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
I've never had to pay to fly Royal Oak.. It appears to be a club field (there's an old frequency signboard and picnic table on site) but the two times i've gone, the weather was crap so no one else was present.

Sorry to hear about your FPV Calamity. Sounds like an expensive lesson. My current rig is built to fly off my Wildcat... but the thing is a fighter aircraft.. so it's not perfectly suited for FPV.

I'm breaking some of the rules with my FPV rig (i.e. don't fly with 2.4ghz Radio Tx's)... Don't use 2.4 and 5.8 together... use a large flying wing aircraft ect ect.. doing my research.. there was just so much conflicting information and so much true information.

The difficult part for me was to seperate the information that was true from the information that was true but of the "HARDCORE FPVer" perspective.

So for example MANY people say that 5.8vTx is useless and full of blackouts and you won't get the range you need etc etc.. Well that is a truth for THEM. They may want 20km's of range... surely you'd be hard pressed to achieve this. But for me who's only interested in park flying, perhaps 5.8 is enough.

So I really had to make my own decisions about some of these things.. and try to be as informed as possible before I buy.

So i haven't had a single flight test yet but i've ground tested my VTx rig and it all checks out.

More than range, I wanted a compact system with as few wires as possible.. so i wouldn't need a groundstation. Basic park-space FPV is all i want for now.

I've got:
Immersion 500mw 5.8ghz VTx
Immersion 5.8 VRx (built into my goggles)
5.8 skew planar wheels for my Vtx/rx
FatShark Dominator goggles
FPV camera is some crummy electronics store cmos.. to be replaced.
Recording camera is a #11 HD 808 camera
Radio is Spektrum 2.4 DX6i (I'm praying that this doesn't bite me in the ass.. i've read so many stories.. but most failures seem to be people using multiple 2.4 signals OR not polarizing their Vtx's with a skewplanar) EEP!
Flying platform... Parkzone Wildcat... but i expect i'll have to get a Flying wing at some point... all the kids are doing it.. right?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Feb 2011
578 Posts
I think you got it right on the money... most of what is being said here is just a guidance... not a rule of thumb.
The wildcat is a great plane. Though I have never flown it myself, I've seen it in action and she's a beauty
Do whatever works for you.... you don't have to fly with a flying wing as your fpv rig. Start off small and as you get more comfortable, work your way up to preferences. If your Wildcat can take the gear I say go for it... it's one more thing you can take off your shopping list

Quote:
I've never had to pay to fly Royal Oak.. It appears to be a club field (there's an old frequency signboard and picnic table on site) but the two times i've gone, the weather was crap so no one else was present.

Sorry to hear about your FPV Calamity. Sounds like an expensive lesson. My current rig is built to fly off my Wildcat... but the thing is a fighter aircraft.. so it's not perfectly suited for FPV.

I'm breaking some of the rules with my FPV rig (i.e. don't fly with 2.4ghz Radio Tx's)... Don't use 2.4 and 5.8 together... use a large flying wing aircraft ect ect.. doing my research.. there was just so much conflicting information and so much true information.

The difficult part for me was to seperate the information that was true from the information that was true but of the "HARDCORE FPVer" perspective.

So for example MANY people say that 5.8vTx is useless and full of blackouts and you won't get the range you need etc etc.. Well that is a truth for THEM. They may want 20km's of range... surely you'd be hard pressed to achieve this. But for me who's only interested in park flying, perhaps 5.8 is enough.

So I really had to make my own decisions about some of these things.. and try to be as informed as possible before I buy.

So i haven't had a single flight test yet but i've ground tested my VTx rig and it all checks out.

More than range, I wanted a compact system with as few wires as possible.. so i wouldn't need a groundstation. Basic park-space FPV is all i want for now.

I've got:
Immersion 500mw 5.8ghz VTx
Immersion 5.8 VRx (built into my goggles)
5.8 skew planar wheels for my Vtx/rx
FatShark Dominator goggles
FPV camera is some crummy electronics store cmos.. to be replaced.
Recording camera is a #11 HD 808 camera
Radio is Spektrum 2.4 DX6i (I'm praying that this doesn't bite me in the ass.. i've read so many stories.. but most failures seem to be people using multiple 2.4 signals OR not polarizing their Vtx's with a skewplanar) EEP!
Flying platform... Parkzone Wildcat... but i expect i'll have to get a Flying wing at some point... all the kids are doing it.. right?
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:49 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
Hey.. does anyone know what ezUHF does?
What does it do, and why should i want it?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:05 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
Man, I gotta get more flying friends in the neighbourhood.

Today worked out to be a perfect day to fly and my wingman bailed on me. I was hoping to maiden my FPV Wildcat setup on this one day of the week I've had off work. :|

Damn you cruel fate! C'mon summer weather!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:01 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
This weekend's weather is looking good.. Anyone planning on flying?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
578 Posts
Quote:
This weekend's weather is looking good.. Anyone planning on flying?
I'm in, check your pm for my contact info. I'd love to go today if u got time. Wanna maiden the bixler And would love to see the Wildcat fly!
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
its to bad no one flys in the nwt i wish there was a fpv club here
guscatling is offline Find More Posts by guscatling
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
hi all!

am a new member and i live in surrey, bc. thanks for all the info about where i can fly my plane. i usually see some planes flying over fraser highway and 176 st in cloverdale. do we need membership to be able to fly here? do they allow gas-powered planes? would appreciate any information....thanks a million!
boyette is offline Find More Posts by boyette
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Feb 2011
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyette View Post
hi all!

am a new member and i live in surrey, bc. thanks for all the info about where i can fly my plane. i usually see some planes flying over fraser highway and 176 st in cloverdale. do we need membership to be able to fly here? do they allow gas-powered planes? would appreciate any information....thanks a million!
Hey Boyette,

Welcome to the BC FPV forum! You may wanna double check to see if the Fraser/176 location is still active. Last time I checked, they had shut down. There's a location in Burnaby (flying club), and they do require a yearly membership fee to fly there. But if you do go with the membership all models are allowed (ie: gas, electric, and turbine)
HTH

Aviation_Rulz