HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:16 AM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
962 Posts
Discussion
New DIY Octocopter - First hop / flight.

Since I am a diy'r modeler who doesn't have a lot of spare $$$, here is the first hop of my new Octo.

well you have to video the first hop...

RcTimer 2836/11 motors, APC 10x4.7 props. I have used a "Rusty" frame with 16mm Trex500 (clone) tubes, direct from China. These tubes cost US$8 per pack of 6 posted!

I wanted a retractable u/c - my camera mount is 40-deg each way adjustable by the camera operator (aka the wife) and I wanted the camera on the c-o-g without the u/c in frame.

New DIY Octocopter - First hop / flight. HoverflyPro controller (1 min 0 sec)

The weather was very windy and swirling around my yard but I had to fly. Better weather is forecast tomorrow...

Pete

(The shirt made all the difference!)
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:35 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,802 Posts
Nice Pete .

Once you have had retracts there is no going back.... or something like that. Are the retracts your own design? I'm looking at coming up with a retract system for my Quad eventually.

The shirt is almost "all black", it has to work.

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:35 AM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
962 Posts
The retracts are my own design but they need amending. The servo needs to be more powerful.
It worked well on the bench but struggled to retract with the prop blast. I cheated in the video and added a rubberband to assist the retracting. I'll either add a spring in place of the rubberband to help or a bigger servo... but it took 6 hours to get the geometry with that servo correct. I am using Channel 9 on my TX and I don't have a EPA on channels 9 & 10.

The whole retract system took me approx 16 hours of swearing!

Pete
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:50 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,802 Posts
LOL. laughing with you not at you.

Well they seemed to work nice and smooth. Is this the firt time you will be using retracts? It's great to pan around with nothing in the way.

I'm about to re-fit the 360 kit to our Octo, We will be using a downlink/uplink from an onboard PC to a rugged laptop for the load operator. I'll just fly to a point and point it roughly in the right direction and they will take over. I guess I can just hit AH and PH and sit back and have a quick smoke. LOL.

Mark
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:46 AM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
962 Posts
First time with retracts (on a heli). My wife likes the 40 deg each way and self-centering with the TX sticks. That way she doesn't have to worry about left and right getting reversed while telling me where to go!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:02 PM
Air Traffic Controller
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Aug 2011
250 Posts
I really like that Pete! I haven't thought about retractable gear and now you've got me thinking. I thought I was the only one who swore while building! The wife-unit news to stay away when the evil scientist is at work! Hopefully my contact with the local film maker will allow a higher budget for the copters!
Webheadfred is offline Find More Posts by Webheadfred
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:17 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
looks great, I love the idea of retracts
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:39 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
962 Posts
Flight report in perfect weather before breakfast... It looks great and flies well but...

With 2 x 4S4000 packs, it weighs in at 3.5Kg and hovers at 35A. More than I wanted. 45A easily in a climb and I only get 9 minute flight time. Pehaps my expectations are a little high here?

As for flying – not too bad at all. Orientation is good with the feet up and being 860mm motor to motor, it has “presence”!

The whole u/c and battery mount thing is 500g. I’m not happy with that but I can't see how to make it lighter without going back a fixed / no moving parts u/c.

Breakfast time and thinking time...

Pete
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:01 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
weight is a killer... my gopro Y-6 was getting 15mins of flight off 5000mah 4s but now that I have a gimbal and nex-5 on it, i think It will be getting around 8mins
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:28 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
962 Posts
Time for a proper flight after doing my math...

35A hover = 4.4A per motor. What am I worried about???

I just did my complete handing test after checking connectors, motors and esc's for good temperatures. Fun time! FFF + climbs and decents.

It rocks - I just have to remember that it does carry some inertia and it must be flown as such. I love it! Less descent wobble than my hex. Video later...

### the big question. What happens if a motor dies? ###

There I was at 20' and 25 mph in AL when a left side motor quit. It porpoised a little but stayed level as I lowered the power and slid it in perfectly level with the u/c still up. I'd call that a comprehensive test!

One motor looks like the wiring into the base has come away - with 30 minutes on it. Not happy about that!

As for the total machine. 3 months part-time building has been justified!

Pete
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:54 PM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,802 Posts
Pete that is great news about the flight characteristics with a failed motor (well not good the motor failed).

Does it look like it will still handle nicely with some more weight? I have been using the Turnigy 30C 5000 and 8000 packs. They seem to run at about 100g per 1A, eg 5Ah = 500g, 8Ah 800g. You might get a good tradeoff weight v flight time by increasing pack size.

Mark
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:16 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
962 Posts
With stills AP I prefer to land and walk the machine to the other side of the site (if more than 100 yards). I like to see where I am landing in case I "have to land". I don't need 9 minutes of battery time. My average hop is 90 seconds between moves so a long duration isn't important. I have had a 6 minute duration on my Trex-600 AP ship for the last 6 years.

I will get the camera on it and look at battery usage then. I may end up running a single 4S5000 instead of the 4S4000 x 2 that I run now. If I run my with my current camera mount system with only one 4S4000 battery, I will be running at the same weight as 2 batteries / no mount. I'll be down to 4 1/5 minutes which I think is too hard on the packs.

Early days still with this machine. More testing required.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:13 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2011
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efliernz View Post

With 2 x 4S4000 packs, it weighs in at 3.5Kg and hovers at 35A. More than I wanted. 45A easily in a climb and I only get 9 minute flight time. Pehaps my expectations are a little high here?

Pete
Pete, I am flying an octo very similar but heavier with a av200 gimbal. I am flying with two 4s4500 packs. My question is how are you measuring your amperage draw? Do you have telemetry on both batteries or are you only measuring draw from one pack? I have a quanum amp add on connected in series on one flight pack and I assume I am only measuring 1/2 of the actual draw. I am measuring around 35 amps from the one pack for a total of 70 amps for both for a bit less then 9 per motor. Am I thinking correctly? I would like to measure actual from both but don't see how.

Thanks for any input.

Dennis
Dbasileccim is offline Find More Posts by Dbasileccim
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:23 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
962 Posts
Hi Dennis

I am also using the Quanum but I am using a Y-joiner before the Quanum. I am measuring all the current!

35A hover, 45A is a steady climb.My 9.05 minutes was a mixture of FFF, climbing - the works. I landed after using 6000 of my 8000 available.

I just flew in 10-15mph wind. Video later! (after the supermarket...).

Pete
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2011
220 Posts
Thanks Pete.
Dbasileccim is offline Find More Posts by Dbasileccim