HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:06 PM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Discussion
Pics of my new DJI FlameWheel F550

Just finished putting her together. Super easy upgrade to go from the F450 to the F550. Motors, ESCs, and the arms are all identical. Total build time was about 2 hours, including the lights.

Doesn't seem to fly quite as stable as the F450 did, but I still need to play with the Naza settings to see if I can get her to settle down a bit.
brianshell is offline Find More Posts by brianshell
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:01 AM
let's brm together!
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Nov 2011
390 Posts
These frames are notorious for vibrations - make sure everything is tight (not too tight) and put some foam and silicon under the controller to filter vibrations out a little - best to use combination of different materials for isolation separated with something solid (piece of wood, fiber glass...) and then tightened with zip ties - this worked best for me.
zviratko is offline Find More Posts by zviratko
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:10 AM
let's brm together!
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Nov 2011
390 Posts
btw, those leds on the tips of the arms will fly away in the first crash... just use two strips on each side
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:56 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zviratko View Post
These frames are notorious for vibrations - make sure everything is tight (not too tight) and put some foam and silicon under the controller to filter vibrations out a little - best to use combination of different materials for isolation separated with something solid (piece of wood, fiber glass...) and then tightened with zip ties - this worked best for me.
I have built 3 so far and working on a hex now. Do "YOU" own a DJI frame? If not you should have said something like
"I heard these frames were notorious for vibration"
There is a big difference between fact and what you hear.
If you do own 1 I would like to see a video of it vibrating
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:00 PM
let's brm together!
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Nov 2011
390 Posts
I had F450 and it vibrated sold it last week. It also flexed a lot compared to my previous frames (flyduino quad/hexa).
I'm not bashing DJI if that's what you are thinking - I love these frames, they are just not perfect
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:25 PM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,311 Posts
Looks great thats exactly how i fit my lites on my F450,good for nite flying orientation..
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:13 PM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
The frames don't vibrate, the motors and props do! You do not put anything under the Naza controller other than the supplied double sided tape. I own the 450 kit and the vibrations are caused by motors and flexible props.

Gary
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:23 PM
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Morris View Post
The frames don't vibrate, the motors and props do! You do not put anything under the Naza controller other than the supplied double sided tape. I own the 450 kit and the vibrations are caused by motors and flexible props.

Gary
obviously the motors and props cause the vibrations; the frame itself doesn't create vibes. What he is saying is that the frame transfers the vibrations to the flight controller; many people have complained of this. The frame material does not dampen vibrations well.
slidins15 is offline Find More Posts by slidins15
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:24 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Apr 2011
427 Posts
This frame allows too much twist to use a camera on. Works great LOS. I fought the same problem with another frame. It allowed too much twist. This allows the motor to precess, causing vibrations. The props and motors can be perfectly balanced and these vibrations still happen. The more and easy the twist, the more vibrations.

Dji Flame wheel frame (RED / White version ) Twisting / flexing PART 2 (3 min 54 sec)

The only thing I can see to fix it is to possibly fill in the gaps in the arms with some kind of settable plastic or epoxy, something to stiffen them up and eliminate most of the twist. I have a friend who just got one of these frames and rigged it for FPV. He says it vibrates so much that the image in his fatsharks is just a blur, nearly impossible to fly by.

I'm not trying to bash DJI either. I like the looks of the frame, the integrated distro, and the quality of the construction. It looks great, and it's priced fairly. But until you stiffen the arms, you're going to have problems with small vibrations, the kind that drive the cameraman batty.

Kenny
midiman007 is offline Find More Posts by midiman007
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:18 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
The F550 that I have has much stiffer arm. my guess is that early batch were softer plastic. I've known respected people having this same opinion about soft frame. but I believe the formulation was probably changed, which resulted in less durable arm, but stiffer.

as most of you know, we've done lot of work with my gimbals with F550 and F450 and we have gotten pretty good result with it. (frankly, we are quite happy with the result we've been able to achieve)

these things happen in early production version. as things iron out, product either improve or people don't buy it. I believe all the f550 are new arms. maybe there are still older version of f450 floating around.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
245 Posts
Hmmm. Check out this guys video. He's using this frame, and a hacked up garage made wooden camera mount. Not seeing the vibrations. Not blurry either.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1609063
Price4Flight is offline Find More Posts by Price4Flight
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:22 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
I have built 3 so far and working on a hex now. Do "YOU" own a DJI frame? If not you should have said something like
"I heard these frames were notorious for vibration"
There is a big difference between fact and what you hear.
If you do own 1 I would like to see a video of it vibrating
I agree, frames do not vibrate. Someone is drinking the quoolaid

Motors vibrate, usually because motors and/or props are out of balance. This frame is solid so these vibrations are not damped as much as with a wood or g10 frame. Balance your props and motors and there is no vibration. I own several of these and they all fly perfectly fine.

If you are having vibration problems you have other problems not related to the frame.

I also don't believe the arms have changed plastic... this sounds more like someone trying to defend their "it vibrates" position in the past.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:23 PM
Taka
Joined Dec 2010
131 Posts
The F550 frame looks heavy, what is the typical AUW ?
Estiavilla is offline Find More Posts by Estiavilla
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:58 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midiman007 View Post
This frame allows too much twist to use a camera on. Works great LOS. I fought the same problem with another frame. It allowed too much twist. This allows the motor to precess, causing vibrations. The props and motors can be perfectly balanced and these vibrations still happen. The more and easy the twist, the more vibrations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yKy9cDKQb8

The only thing I can see to fix it is to possibly fill in the gaps in the arms with some kind of settable plastic or epoxy, something to stiffen them up and eliminate most of the twist. I have a friend who just got one of these frames and rigged it for FPV. He says it vibrates so much that the image in his fatsharks is just a blur, nearly impossible to fly by.

I'm not trying to bash DJI either. I like the looks of the frame, the integrated distro, and the quality of the construction. It looks great, and it's priced fairly. But until you stiffen the arms, you're going to have problems with small vibrations, the kind that drive the cameraman batty.

Kenny
I just checked my 450 frame and it does not flex like that, very strange that yours does.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:14 AM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Apr 2011
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price4Flight View Post
Hmmm. Check out this guys video. He's using this frame, and a hacked up garage made wooden camera mount. Not seeing the vibrations. Not blurry either.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1609063
that does look good! I take it back
midiman007 is offline Find More Posts by midiman007