SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by StayQuiet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, MA, Oxford
Joined Jul 2011
78 Posts
Build Log
Demi Duster Electric - part 3 - power calculations

All parts for the wing that need to be laser cut are drawn up in ModelCAD. Tomorrow (hopefully) it's off to the LHS with files on a thumb drive to see if I can get them cut out. Oh, have to pick up some stock as well, just to get the wing build going.

Whiskers was kind enough to respond to one of my blogs about making a canopy out of a soda bottle. I may still try that, but in the meantime, I had enough material already laying around in my woodshop area to build a small (12" X 12") vacuum forming table, so the build cost me $0.00 - my budget likes that! Besides, the missus is very much into crafts, so I'm sure she will find a use for it as well - which justifies me putting a sheet of plastic in her oven - you know, just to show her how it's done.

Also been playing around with MotoCalc to get an idea of a power package for the plane. The original airframe weight is listed as 25oz, with a wing loading of 15.4oz/sq ft. Punching in the full weight, instead of a target, lighter one, I got a package using an E-Flite Power 15, 40 amp ESC, and 3s, 2100mah 20C battery. With that package added in, it computes out to 14.6 oz/sq.ft loading. According to MotoCalc opinion (how accurate is that?) it would make an ideal trainer for calm to light wind conditions, yet still have enough power for consecutive loops. So, I don't know how much weight I'll have to reduce (if any) on the build.
StayQuiet is offline Find More Posts by StayQuiet
Last edited by StayQuiet; Mar 23, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts