HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:30 PM
texas
Joined May 2005
105 Posts
Discussion
Habu 32 -- where to use metal gear servo's ?

Hi ,

i have 4 metal gear servo's , and 4 nylon gear servo's ,,

the hitec hs-85 series servos

where is best place to make use of the Metal Gear servo's ? flaps , nose wheel ?

ok, thanks, Joe
rcfun2005 is offline Find More Posts by rcfun2005
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Jul 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfun2005 View Post
Hi ,

i have 4 metal gear servo's , and 4 nylon gear servo's ,,

the hitec hs-85 series servos

where is best place to make use of the Metal Gear servo's ? flaps , nose wheel ?

ok, thanks, Joe
It depends on your plane, whether your flying hard 3D, going fast or cruising...

But GENERALLY speaking, I've read that metal gear servos are best for the nose wheel (because since it impacts the ground, nylon gears tend to strip), flaps (Because they tend to be the largest of the control surfaces that generate a lot of load on the servo) and the rudders.
xTIBSx is offline Find More Posts by xTIBSx
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:54 PM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
Huh, thats funny, I would go completely the opposite and put the best servos available on the most important parts, Ailerons and evelators.

I've never seen a plane destroyed because of a stripped steering servo, also unless your landing in severe cross winds regularly you shouldn't be stripping steering servos anyway, if you are you probably don't have enough slack in you steering system.

I've had issues with flaps and if your a decent pilot most of the the time you can still bring the plane back.

Having said all of this, on this particular plane unless you plan on putting a 150mph setup in there you shouldn't need metal gears anyway, if you set everything up correctly with no binding and are not 'hot dogging' every turn you shouldn't be stripping anything.

Good luck
lightningmcnul is offline Find More Posts by lightningmcnul
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:07 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
4 is not enough, I would do the elev, and flaps and nose wheel steering
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:34 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
762 Posts
My buddy Tom and I put MG 85's on the steering, flaps, and rudder. Standard 85's everywhere else. About 100 flights each now, up to Stumax power now, no problems. IMHO the only place you should use an MG servo on the Habu 32 is the nose gear steering. The Habu is not very demanding for servo loading. It is more like a pattern plane than a 3D plane. If you can put the flap servos on a slow setting so they won't slam to full travel at full speed and try not to put them out when you are going 150mph they will hold up well. On 3D planes the rudder servos take the biggest beating and blowback can be a noticeable problem but not on the Habu. Generally speaking nylon gear servos are more precise than their MG counterparts, their gear mesh is usually tighter, so they are best on ailerons and elevators where you will really notice that precision, especially at very high speed. MG servos are not better, just a little tougher.
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:58 AM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
Why do people put metal gears on steering, I have always used relatively inexpensive small plastic servo's for steering and haven't stripped one yet, I have owned all manor of planes including a dynamax powered starfire and still have never had a problem with stripping steering servos.

you shouldn't be experiencing bump steer on an edf so if your stripping servos there is a problem somewhere else, probably steering linkage too tight.

Kim
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:03 AM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
I was just thinking about this and realised,

I made a break away linkage for my starfire steering (really loose clevis that can pop off) so that in the event of a poor landing of getting caught in a rut on the runway my servo would be saved.

The jet weighs over 17lbs and lands at probably 50 plus mph, only once has the clevis pop'd off when I came in a little fast and had to wiggle the jet vigirously to slow it down, it pop'd off and the plane circled to a stop, this is proof enough for me that steering servos shouldn't be experiencing that much torque.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:58 AM
Norway, Vestfold, Sandefjord
Joined Oct 2010
51 Posts
No need! I use HS65 on all surfaces. No problems what so ever!
WF Pilot is offline Find More Posts by WF Pilot
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
762 Posts
Good man! Now we know the 85's are more than necessary and can fly with confidence... Who will try HS56's? Cmon guys!
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Jul 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningmcnul View Post
Why do people put metal gears on steering, I have always used relatively inexpensive small plastic servo's for steering and haven't stripped one yet, I have owned all manor of planes including a dynamax powered starfire and still have never had a problem with stripping steering servos.

you shouldn't be experiencing bump steer on an edf so if your stripping servos there is a problem somewhere else, probably steering linkage too tight.

Kim
I have a giant scale A6M5 Zero (approx 25lbs), and I had the same principles myself. I figured steering servos can be the cheapest servos since they're really only good for taxing. But after my plane's second landing, the tailwheel servo (I had a dedicated plastic gear tailwheel servo despite this model being a tail-dragger) had stripped. The landing was routine, smooth and insignificant, however the servo still stripped.

The servo was brand new, standard sized, digital Spektrum A6000
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:36 AM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
are you saying that as soon as your tail wheel touched the ground it stripped because on most of my tail draggers, even my 103" nosen p 51 by the time the tail comes down your doing little over 15 mph so if your stripping servos I can't see it being the servos fault

also in edf there is usually less weight over the nose wheel, they have to rotate so the weight should be almost balanced on the mains with a little bias to the front if the mains are in the right place, if there is little weight over the nose then it stands to reason that there can only be a little stress!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined Jul 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningmcnul View Post
are you saying that as soon as your tail wheel touched the ground it stripped because on most of my tail draggers, even my 103" nosen p 51 by the time the tail comes down your doing little over 15 mph so if your stripping servos I can't see it being the servos fault

also in edf there is usually less weight over the nose wheel, they have to rotate so the weight should be almost balanced on the mains with a little bias to the front if the mains are in the right place, if there is little weight over the nose then it stands to reason that there can only be a little stress!

I dunno exactly what happened or even if it was the landing that caused the strip
but the tailwheel was fine on take off (I could steer the plane around on the ground) and then when I landed it was stripped (I had lost my steering ability completely...it wasn't a bumpy/hard landing either, main gear first followed by the tailwheel...hmmm...

And that servo was a new one...and it wasn't driving anything except for just the tailwheel...maybe I just had a bad one?
Last edited by xTIBSx; Mar 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:22 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
Since the OP asked what type of servo gear train to install in a HABU 32, nothing else,
Here's a tip: I like to save burned/damaged MG servos, then I wheel and deal for HS plastic gear servos and change the gears out to the metal gears that I saved.
The OP has some MG's and HS', how else you gonna get metal gears without purchasing new servos/gears and just use what you have?
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:40 AM
USA, CA, Marina del Rey
Joined Jul 2010
553 Posts
thats an awesome tip, i've never thought of it.

don't know why yours stripped but i'd suggest its to do with setup rather than the servo it self.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:00 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
The gears don't strip, the motor burns up or th case gets damage so I get the plastic geared servo around 10 bucks cheaper and ad the previously saved metal gear myself........
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member