Stratos Firebird (2 min 19 sec)
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:21 AM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
I have a better video on Facebook if you have an account there.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3037919503192
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:28 AM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
My take on it is it is very easy to fly 3 channel. The proportional mixes make it fly much easier than the other 3 channel top wing Cub versions out there. It is light weight so wind still plays an issue but not as bad as when flying a micro. It does have the tendency to face the wind and either "kite" where it grabs a thermal and soars upwards, or in cooler air it stalls and about comes to a stop in midair! I came out of several turns into the wind at level flight with mostly the use of the rudder(slow wide turns) and the plane just hung in the air as it faced the wind. Either I needed more motor when facing the wind or a different attack angle coming out of my turn. I have not yet flown the high rates. Depends on weather tomorrow. High rates may make a difference. Will see.......

Otherwise I recommend this plane hands down as best trainer I have flown yet! My daughter is gun shy cuz she flew my Champ into a tree last year. I will probably get her maiden on video to prove anyone can fly this plane!

Most micros are between $90-$130 and this plane was sold to me for $129 and is twice the size with 2 engines and RTF!!!! This is the best deal going!!!!!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:41 AM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,030 Posts
I am hopinng weather permmiting I might be able to maiden my stratos tommorow.. This is my first flight on any type of RC plane.going for it?wish me luck.
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Apr 29, 2012, 05:56 AM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio View Post
I am hopinng weather permmiting I might be able to maiden my stratos tommorow.. This is my first flight on any type of RC plane.going for it?wish me luck.
You may want to hand launch for your first flight. Hold the plane, go full throttle, and toss upwards. This will give you a safer first altitude. Then try to fly about 50-100ft high so you have lots of room for mistakes. Try also to fly between half and three quarter throttle at a slower pace. Don't forget to fly level and straight and set your trim first off.

****Also, make sure the battery is all the way forward and your CG is good before flight. Flying tail heavy is bad, very bad for a beginner.

Good Luck!!!!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:00 PM
da Perfesser
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu View Post
They must have a big storage of brused motors. Why can't they put brushless in their trainers?
So you've read the thread thus far and are not satisfied with answers to this?
YosefAugers is offline Find More Posts by YosefAugers
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:13 PM
da Perfesser
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
I was under the apparently mistaken impression that "Beginner Training Area" meant this was for, well, beginners.

It appears that I was wrong and far more advanced RC pilots are posting here with content that I, being a newbie/beginner, can't even begin to understand.

I'm heading back to my blog (here) to continue to document my "fits and starts" learning to fly.

If there are really any "beginners" buying the stratos and want to talk about beginner stuff with it, that's where you can find me.

So long and good luck, but, well, advanced pilots like those of you recently posting about how great you are flying a beginner's plane don't need luck, do you?
YosefAugers is offline Find More Posts by YosefAugers
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
To me, all planes and helicopters are fun to fly regardless of your skill level. If experienced pilots didn't hang out in all the forums who would you get your answers from? The great thing about the hobby and the internet, somebody usually has a suggestion or solution to your questions. Some people don't belong to clubs and depend on these forums for help. I appreciate everybody's input here and enjoy all the posts.
Raycamaro is offline Find More Posts by Raycamaro
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Aug 2010
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Firemouth View Post
You may want to hand launch for your first flight. Hold the plane, go full throttle, and toss upwards. This will give you a safer first altitude.
Let me clarify on tossing upwards. You want to toss it slightly upwards of horizontal (as if throwing a dart) and not vertical as if in launching a rocket. Too upward of a toss could cause the plane to go into a stall, roll over and crash by not allowing the plane to gain enough speed to have proper control.
flydown is offline Find More Posts by flydown
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydown View Post
Let me clarify on tossing upwards. You want to toss it slightly upwards of horizontal (as if throwing a dart) and not vertical as if in launching a rocket. Too upward of a toss could cause the plane to go into a stall, roll over and crash by not allowing the plane to gain enough speed to have proper control.
Thanks for the info, I knew about tossing this bird from watching the videos, I had a couple crashes today.. Wind was about 10 mph with some gusts. And being my first flight I new it was a no no...but wanted to try her out..no damage so hoping for calmer days this coming week..
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:09 AM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
I crashed too. I was low on battery and flew low to the ground, with some wind behind me I did not have enough power to climb out to a good altitude and it stalled and nosed in. I hit the street in my video with the nose gear and it pulled the whole nose gear assembly out of the plane. Nothing CA foam safe glue can not fix. I will fly with out landing gear and just hand launch and then land in the taller grass.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YosefAugers View Post
I was under the apparently mistaken impression that "Beginner Training Area" meant this was for, well, beginners.

It appears that I was wrong and far more advanced RC pilots are posting here with content that I, being a newbie/beginner, can't even begin to understand.

I'm heading back to my blog (here) to continue to document my "fits and starts" learning to fly.

If there are really any "beginners" buying the stratos and want to talk about beginner stuff with it, that's where you can find me.

So long and good luck, but, well, advanced pilots like those of you recently posting about how great you are flying a beginner's plane don't need luck, do you?
> Six Keys to Success
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355208
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18

It is quite common for experienced pilots to fly and report on these new trainers. We are the ones who teach the new pilots and so we want to see how the trainers fly so we can advise them. Some of us own these planes so we can use them to teach.

Some "trainers" have been really bad. Others are great. HobbyZone had one a few years back that I think was called the Freedom. It was aweful. But the Firebirds, Aerobirds and especially the Super Cub have been awesome. Inital reports here, by expereined pilots, seem to be quite good.

If the experienced pilots can't fly it then heaven knows the newbies will have trouble.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Apr 30, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:11 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,371 Posts
How secure is the wing? I have seen too many magnetic attached canopies come flying off. I lost the one from my Radian that way.

Would this survive a loop? What about a dive?

Not suggesting this is an aerobatic plane, just wondering about the possibility of a wing loss in flight.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:09 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
How secure is the wing? I have seen too many magnetic attached canopies come flying off. I lost the one from my Radian that way.

Would this survive a loop? What about a dive?

Not suggesting this is an aerobatic plane, just wondering about the possibility of a wing loss in flight.
Your wing is secured with a magnet and a pin and two screws. It is impossible to take off wing with securing pin attached.

I ran 4 loops in a row. You have to dive into a loop to get enough power and speed to invert. Otherwise it will roll right or left due to the stabilizing features and the design of the wings. So go up high so you have lots of room to dive. No ailerons so no barrel or snap rolls. Just big loops from diving.

I had it on several long dives and the wing held fine. I wouldn't recommend it for aerobatics though. The top wing is on the glider style thin side and may flex or crack if abused.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
In addition to the magnet, there is a pin held by set screws that will hold the wing on. I did several loops on my maiden without any problems with the wing. I also clipped a house without moving the wing.
Raycamaro is offline Find More Posts by Raycamaro